Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Brainsucker

RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September?

Post by Brainsucker »

Yes, development diaries is a good idea. It is a way for the dev to communicate their new game to us
AndonSage

Post by AndonSage »

Well I'm busy with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, so I can wait for an expansion [:D]
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

I'm just wondering, is it too difficult to show a list of upcoming features?
Frildin

Post by Frildin »

Now now, be patient. I'm sure everyone on the forums is excited for the new expansion. When they have a list finalized, they'll show it everyone and we can start drooling.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: WiZz

I'm just wondering, is it too difficult to show a list of upcoming features?

Case 1:

Devs: "We are working on implementing X"
Community: "Meh."
Devs: "Oh, turns out X is going to conflict with Y. We are going to implement Y instead"
Community: "Whaaaaat? We want X!!! And Y! And Z! There must be a Z! Rage, rage!"

Case 2:

Devs: "We have implemented Y. Here is the finished product"
Community: "Yaaay! Y is so cool!"
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
Case 2:

Community: "Yaaay! Y is so cool!"

Case 3:

Community: "Yaaay! Y is so cool! But if your implementing Y what the frak happened to A to X???"

Darkspire
Harrs

Post by Harrs »

Pff thats too easy its more complex..
Case 4:

Community: "Nice! Y its quite ok, but only small improvements to Y+ would make it much much better!"
Rage, rage!" Rage, rage!" Rage, rage!"

Case 5:

Devs: "We are working on implementing X"
Community: "Yes thats ok.. but please take into account that X with a little bit Y+ is much better"
Devs: "Oh, turns out that the community isnt so stupid. We are going to implement X and Y+ instead"
Community: " "Yaaay! The devs are so cool! We have a little bit influence and the game is now better"
Make this game harder!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Here's something to thank you all for your patience while we work on the next expansion. We're still planning to announce more information by the end of October.

So, without further ado... Gravitic Weapons. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Hmmm Gravitic Weapons...could this mean...tractor beams? [8D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
numahr

Post by numahr »

Gravitic weapons may be related to the planet's gravity wells: the possibility to throw asteroids at planets or something like this?
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

My money is on tractor beams... enabling boarding. 

I'll hazard a guess that 'shadows' might be ninja pirates... well, invigorated stealth mechanics at least.  [:)]
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Gravitic weapons.sigh.

1) How about a UI tweak to set minimum troop levels at a global level and also per planet so our automated TTs don't strip all our troops from a freshly invaded world that is in a risk zone, only to see it re-taken because no minimum troop levels to over rule an automated TT.

2) A selective filter to stop the incessant under attack pop-up windows.

Those two features alone would be enough for me to buy the expansion. Forget gravitic weapons and anything else for that matter until the UI is sorted.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Meh.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Yeah, I am sure tractor beams (or similar) is the only feature of the expansion.

Time to get worried [8|]
Algoritm

Post by Algoritm »

Gravitic Weapons... hmmm, I wonder if this implies adding a technology that would allow an empire to make a star implode into a blackhole thus sucking in and destroying all planets in it's orbit. :p

Sounds pretty fun to me.

Don't forget all the little features which would make this game perfect (like being able to make a fleet disband without giving the order to each individual ship in the fleet, or asking multiple troop transports to invade a planet without again having to select each one individually... or being able to make a construction ship skip to the next order in the building queue...)
We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Disband fleet: Ship list. Sort on fleet. Not perfect, but nothing that bother me much.

Send a few ships to invade. Organize them in a fleet. Or multiselect from nearby ships with dragging a box shift/control clicking. I think I miss an option to multiselect ships this way and have fleet options (join) on right click.

Are you sure giving the "stop" order to a construction ship won't stop the current mission, but keep the rest of the queue? I don't have the game up, and I am not sure myself.

Gravitic weapons. I want a tool to tow that juicy rare resource planet into my zone of control...
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Gravitic weapons. I want a tool to tow that juicy rare resource planet into my zone of control...

So you don't care that the native inhabitants and most likely the cause of your resource (plants, geological mechanics etc.) are going to die in dark space? Smart idea sure... go ahead. I love 100 lumps of ice worlds in my system with no resource other than water and stone...
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Harrs

Post by Harrs »

Meh I want real TERRAFORMING.. And a harder difficulty.. Monster hard..
Make this game harder!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Nedrear
ORIGINAL: Bingeling

So you don't care that the native inhabitants and most likely the cause of your resource (plants, geological mechanics etc.) are going to die in dark space? Smart idea sure... go ahead. I love 100 lumps of ice worlds in my system with no resource other than water and stone...
Bft, nothing that a couple of heaters and a few light bulbs can't solve.

Or just upscale the tractor beam a tad, and tow in the whole system.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

That was perhaps too small of a bone, but I can't give everything away just yet. Suffice it to say that mentioning one feature does not exclude others and the folks who've posted so far I expect will for the most part be quite happy.

I'll confirm two things regarding gravitic weapons. Tractor/Repulsor beams and singularity creation (though perhaps not in the way that you might expect).

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”