Logistics Phase Event Log

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

DorianGray

Logistics Phase Event Log

Post by DorianGray »

I have a question about the GROUND ELEMENTS REPLACEMENTS section.

This section is composed of entries such as:

Panzer Ib : +14 added to the front line units || -4 returned to the pool

What does "-4 returned to the pool" correspond to? Is this the number of damaged elements successfully repaired and returned to the pool for subsequent redistribution?

Thank you.

- DG
DorianGray

RE: Logistics Phase Event Log

Post by DorianGray »

Can anybody explain what the "-XX returned to the pool" statements are attributed to in the Event Log???
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

AFAIR those are undamaged elements sent back to the pool. Damaged tanks that had been repaired are not named by version but just summarized as xx tanks have been repaired.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
DorianGray

Post by DorianGray »

Denniss,

Thank you for the response.

I'm wondering though, on what conditions are undamaged elements sent back to the force pool?

I can see a clear pattern of:
+ (X) added to the front line units || - (X/2) returned to the pool

As it is now, it just seems that there is a lot of equipment that is unavailable as it is being shuffled around or in-transit without a clear explanation or understanding what is going on here.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

...without a clear explanation or understanding what is going on here.

It's war. [;)]
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

On TOE changes you'll see stuff transferring back to pool and if a unit's component TOE (specific types like MG, rifle squads, art) is above 125% you'll see some of them sent back via oversize reduction.
The oversize reduction elements stay in the transfer pool for one turn.

Pavel should be able to give a 100% statement about damaged/undamaged elements in this list but he's currently on vacation/unavailable for some time.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I don't know exactly what is in the numbers shown, however, my understanding of what happens is that 1/2 of damaged elements return to the pool each turn. These represent items that will ultimately be repaired but have been sent back far enough to the rear that they will not necessarily return to the same unit. Damaged elemetns attempt to fix themselves in the unit, but I don't remember if this is before or after the 1/2 are sent back to the pool. I know that when the attempt is made to fix them in the unit, they may be fixed, they may remain damaged, or they may be written off (destroyed). IIRC, some percentage of the 1/2 of the damaged elements sent back to the pool are destroyed when returning to the pool and/or some of the manpower is disabled. To know exactly what is being reported we'd need to hear from Pavel, and he's off the net at the moment at a family reunion of sorts in the Ukraine. His travel path from Lithuania to the Ukraine read like a list of Eastern Front battlefields (Minsk, Kiev, Uman, possibly Odessa).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Info about 'Damaged elements returning/returned to the pool' would be more informative in the log than info about surplus equipment moving. Just for knowing more details about replacement mechanics.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Numbers show ground element movement into/from front line units. Negative number sent from units contains both - damaged elements and those sent back to the pool due to the unit TOE or support requirements (support squads).
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”