Problem with WITE 1.06.19Beta

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

bednarre

Problem with WITE 1.06.19Beta

Post by bednarre »

I saved my 1.06.19Beta version to a subdirectory of the default location so I had access to two executables. The 1.06.19Beta executable results in a black screen with white letters jumbled up in the upper left corner. The. 1.06.14 executable says now it is a 1.06.19Beta version, but the tool tip still confirms it is 1.06.14. I really need both versions (the latter because I am a Matrix playtester).

Please reference help ticket "How Do We Have 2 WITE Versions On Our Computer" for screen shots.

Reginald E. Bednar
Apollo11

RE: Problem with WITE 1.06.19Beta

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: bednarre

I saved my 1.06.19Beta version to a subdirectory of the default location so I had access to two executables. The 1.06.19Beta executable results in a black screen with white letters jumbled up in the upper left corner. The. 1.06.14 executable says now it is a 1.06.19Beta version, but the tool tip still confirms it is 1.06.14. I really need both versions (the latter because I am a Matrix playtester).

Please reference help ticket "How Do We Have 2 WITE Versions On Our Computer" for screen shots.

The registry entry is showing the latest install version in game - the tooltip is showing actual EXE version...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\.(Depending on OS - 32 bit or 64 bit.\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East]
"version"="1.06.19Beta"

Leo "Apollo11"

bednarre

Post by bednarre »

I don't understand what the above information is about.
Reginald E. Bednar
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

When WitE is started it reads the info about version from the registry and not the EXE (the registry location is as I posted above).

So even if you use WitE v1.06.14 EXE it would still show as WitE v1.06.19 because that was the last install and that info was written in the registry (and you can only actually check the version via tooltip)!

Leo "Apollo11"

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I have multiple version of WitE on a single computer but I use separate directories/folders for them, I don't merge them into one folder (unless I want to test a diffeent/newer .exe with a specific fileset.
If you just need two different .exe versions just rename one of the two.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
bednarre

Post by bednarre »

Deniss:

I downloaded the new executable into a new folder, but it was a subdirectory of the default folder. Are you saying to move it to a new folder which is not a subdirectory of the default folder? My executables are not in the same subdirectory.
Reginald E. Bednar
bednarre

Post by bednarre »

Apollo11:

My problem is not that the version number of one is not correctly displayed. My problem is that I cannot run the new executable. The old executable still runs fine. Playtesting requires usage of the new executable.
Reginald E. Bednar
bednarre

Post by bednarre »

The game screen scrambles the words into the upper left corner and there are no visible buttons. It looks like the game Window frame.
Reginald E. Bednar
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

If you want to keep one version as of 1.06.14 and another version as of 1.06.19 you need to have two separate and complete versions in separate folders. If it's just the new .exe you want to test then just place it into the same folder as the old .exe, you just need a different name for the new .exe file. You you just place the .19 files into a subfolder of the main game it can't work ever as it can't access all the other files it needs to work.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: bednarre

Apollo11:

My problem is not that the version number of one is not correctly displayed. My problem is that I cannot run the new executable. The old executable still runs fine. Playtesting requires usage of the new executable.

Are you saying that WitE v1.06.19 BETA is not running at all after you installed the patch via Matrix updater?

Leo "Apollo11"

bednarre

Post by bednarre »

I get a black game screen with all of the letters jumbled together in the upper left corner (please refer to HelpDesk database for a picture of this). I tried changing the name of the old executable and moving the new executable to the same directory. The old executable would only run if it ran as administrator!
Reginald E. Bednar
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

No idea how to access a helpdesk ticket.

I seriously suggest to deinstall WitE completely (backup savegames first!, after uninstall verify all content is deleted from the WitE folder) and reinstall it with latest official patch. If running Vista/7 consider installing it OUTSIDE of UAC-protected c:\program files.
Once you have completed installing, copy the WitE folder to a new location and install the beta patch to one of these two copies.
Durgard

Post by Durgard »

I had the same problem with last patch, and it solved with a full reinstallation.

Return to “Tech Support”