Soooo.....

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

gchristie

RE: Soooo.....

Post by gchristie »

Thank you for Smoking.
Wardyr

Post by Wardyr »

Yup it is Thank you for smoking in which the quote is, "Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson Kills people. I talk. Everyone has a talent."
Also the book title is the same as the movie.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

News?
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
takati97realm

Post by takati97realm »

FOF is a game we would like one day to update, but it's unclear whether that would be lucrative enough.

What if it was "tweaked"...Forge of Freedom, even to date, has one of the better tactical "games" compared to other civil war game competition. What if Forge of Freedom had a campaign map around the province scale of Ageod's ACW: blue and gray? For a grand campaign game, I think you guys hit it right with the brigade size for the troops. Although the regiment size would be super cool, that would probably hurt broader appeal to the public, for a grand campaign. The cannons always seemed too out of place though with the brigade size...But what if cannons were further abstracted...Instead of placing Army/Corps/Division Commanders with units, what if they were each their own unit but also represented artillery? Put more emphasis on artillery being a unit dis-organizer than a unit killer? Army/Corps/Division could each have different attack ranges representing different levels/ranges of support? What if supply wagons had a more limited/noninfinite replenishment? Personally, I think just changing the strategic map scale would do wonders...
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Doing it that way is an interesting suggestion. It wouldn't hurt to put that in the FOF "Wish List" thread, though we're a long ways from considering that or another ACW game that isn't BAB (which, assuming it's successful, we'd be releasing for the next few years).

My own preference would be to do a sort of zoomed-in FOF that has individual theaters (VA/MD/PA would be the most obvious) but zooms into the BAB regimental-level engine for battles.

Sadly, it's easy to come up with ideas for what WCS should do, but we only have time for a fraction of our ideas and those suggested to us.

P.S. While I have everyone's attention, since many will have clicked on this thread expecting a BAB update, I figured I should add that there has been recent progress in preparing the final maps, which are vital to testing (as well as finishing the game, obviously). So the game is still in production. Once we have the final maps in the game there will be more to say, not to mention some screenshots.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Speaking of screenshots, I just remembered this thread:
tm.asp?m=2471819
I sure had fun with that one.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

We did an expansion of COG and that proved not to be the wisest decision.

Sad to hear about that.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Any updates?....
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
veji1

Post by veji1 »

Not a good sign I must say. To be honest I had forgotten about this possible game.. And to be even more honest, with AACW2 from Ageod coming, this game will probably be a pass. As a married with kids and long hours type of man I have only so much time for games. I hope this game, if ever produced, will be so awesome I will have to change my mind, but to be honest with such a slow paced development, I have my doubts. Nevertheless good luck.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Agreed. It's been three years and we barely have anything on this game.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Agreed. It's been three years and we barely have anything on this game.

Three years that's not so bad Bamilus [;)] you should come over to World in Flames we are approaching our 8th year [:@]

Have a question does anyone here own Forge of Freedom and is it any good? The reason I ask is because the game is 7 years old and the price remains the same, you would think by now the price might be reduced.

Bo

Bill Bowen

Beta tester Matrix World in Flames
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I love FoF [:)]

I actually post an update to the campaign options list on the FoF forum. Paid full price for it too [:(] Personally think it is definitely worth the money. Just make sure you read the beginners AAR someone was kind enough to do. Really helped me a lot in my first game.
veji1

Post by veji1 »

Sooooo

Where are we at devs ?

thank you.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Still insufficient progress on maps and scenarios, BUT we are just days from opening the thing up to more testers. The key is for the standard scenarios to be sufficiently well tested in one-player and PBEM/hotseat that I can be confident it is time to make the secondary scenarios. For now Wilson's Creek is the only 99% finished map, so the other scenarios will still have to be tested using the unappealing beta graphics.

I'm still hoping for a winter release, but that would definitely be post-Christmas.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Still insufficient progress on maps and scenarios, BUT we are just days from opening the thing up to more testers. The key is for the standard scenarios to be sufficiently well tested in one-player and PBEM/hotseat that I can be confident it is time to make the secondary scenarios. For now Wilson's Creek is the only 99% finished map, so the other scenarios will still have to be tested using the unappealing beta graphics.

I'm still hoping for a winter release, but that would definitely be post-Christmas.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

Just calling your attention to beta recruitment here:

announcement.asp?id=22
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I should add, for current testers, that part of this process includes moving the BAB testing forum, a consequence of which has been that everyone has to re-register in order to continue testing. I've tried sending PM's to advise the currently active testers, but the blasted forum software logs me off each time I try, so I'm posting this here.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

I miss the Flashpoint beta test expect this doenst scape [:D]
wiking62

Post by wiking62 »

How is the beta testing going, and do we have a release date yet?
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Would like to know too, Should I buy FoF on sale now, or keep playing CWII and just wait 6 months for this? Either way I will still get this when it is released, It's just for the sale price listed their are several other games on my list at the same price.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”