Smugglers 5

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

Smugglers 5

Post by wodin »

I expect this may interest some of you. Vote on Steams greenlight. Thought I recognised the name..Matrix sold IV.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100928089

Features:

• Explore the galaxy through a fast turn-based travel and combat system
• 4 factions; 6 professions with new, unique skill trees; 100+ different skills and a revised skill system
• 30+ spaceships and encounters ranging from fighters to battleships, cruise missiles and star bases
• Non-linear war and campaign system. You can influence the war!
• Manage a crew, board enemy ships, become an Admiral and command whole fleets
• Plunder planets and pirate outposts, conquer space systems and even rule your own empire!
• Supply and demand based trading with prices influenced by storyline and campaign
• Advanced text generation technology and new short stories for planet exploration make every game different
• Marry a beautiful wife and have children
• Optional compatibility mode to allow blind players to enjoy the game
• and much more ...

The six most important new features compared to Smugglers 4:
• You can now start and rule your own empire!
• Manage your own factories or pirate outposts
• Raid and plunder planets or pirate outposts
• 80,000 words of new and dynamic short stories (the equivalent of a full length novel)
• Completely revised skill and combat system
• Play as an independent adventurer - or join the military

There's a ship in the hangar and the stars are calling to you. Don't keep them waiting.
Wolfe1759

RE: Smugglers 5

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Bought Smugglers 4 at a very reduced sale price (i.e c50%) and I'm not certain it was worth it.

Very repetitive gameplay though fun enough in short bursts.

Clunky UI.

Horrendously restrictive screen resolution fixed at 800x600.

Downloaded the demo of Smugglers 5 and unfortunately it seems to be just more of the same.

Same gameplay (though I've only fired up the tutorial so I may be wrong here), same UI and most disappointingly same 800x600 resolution.

I really would like to like this game but it doesn't seem to be worth the asking price of £25 (sorry make that £30 when you add in the VAT), at £5 yes at £10 possibly.

Also although it is being sold at full price the game according to its site is still in Beta, upside is that might mean there are improvements on the way however the UI and the fixed resolution seem to be pretty much hardcoded in.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
wodin

Post by wodin »

800x600 res..no excuse these days I'm afraid..
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Privateer and Privateer II were better games. It looks like what Smugglers was patterned after just that Smugglers is turn based and Privateer I & II are real time action.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Rather have turn based..but not interested anyway.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Privateer and Privateer II were better games. It looks like what Smugglers was patterned after just that Smugglers is turn based and Privateer I & II are real time action.

Privateer II was bad timing. Got released in 1995 and didn't run under Win 95. I enjoyed the first game though.

Return to “General Discussion”