Serial Issue.

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
mrensing

Serial Issue.

Post by mrensing »

Hi all. I am having an issue with installing two of my games. I am getting two errors, serial error and cannot find a file. I have copy and pasted the conversation with Matrix tech support, at their suggestion, below to provide all the details. If anyone has any input please feel free as frustration is setting in for me. Thanks.

Mike

Hi Cgcoxn

Hmm, how odd. Are you logged in as the administrator of the computer? If not then log in as the administrator and then run the games again to see if this resolves the issue. Apart from that I'm not sure what to suggest. It might be worthwhile to post your issue to the games technical support forum at tt.asp?forumid=522 to see if the technical support team / developer / gamers can provide further solutions.

Kind Regards

Christian Bassani
Matrix Games
[ 25 SEP 2012 18:16 by Cgcoxn ]

Christian,

Tried the above verbatim, with negative results. Again, upon instillation I had to create a folder for both games, the instillation program did not create it. I tried to download the games from the provided links on my home system (Vista) with the same results. I don't belive the problem is with the computers since both are showing the same errors. I don't believe the problem is with the download links unless other users have had this same issue? There must be something here we are missing.

Both games are registered and have proper serial codes. Both were purchased several years ago...would this affect my ability to use the current downloads? Are my serial keys only compatable with an older version, possibly? I remember back then Matrix sent downloads via email rather than having them online.
[ 25 SEP 2012 06:55 by ChristianBassani ]

Hi Cgcoxn

Have you tried switching the games compatibility mode in Windows 7 / Vista? If not then for each game you'll need to go to the folder where the game was installed to, right click on the game file in this folder (this file should be a .exe file), select "Properties", select the "Compatibility" tab, tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" from the drop down box, tick the "Run this program as an administrator", "Disable visual themes", "Disable desktop composition", "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" boxes , click "Apply" and then run the game .exe file from the installation folder to see if this resolves the issue.

Kind Regards

Christian Bassani
Matrix Games
[ 24 SEP 2012 12:14 by Cgcoxn ]

Ok. So am i pretty much SOL for being able to install and play my games?
[ 24 SEP 2012 10:58 by ChristianBassani ]

Hi Cgcoxn

The latest patch for both games should contain all previous updates.

Kind Regards

Christian Bassani
Matrix Games
[ 20 SEP 2012 13:04 by Cgcoxn ]

Christian,

My other PC is running Vista. Is is nessessary when I install the game to do so from the first(oldest) link then apply every patch? I have only used the latest download link provided for each game on game downloads page.

Mike
[ 19 SEP 2012 06:21 by ChristianBassani ]

Hi Cgcoxn

Hmm, odd. Have you tried installing the games on another Windows 7 machine to see if it's a computer specific issue?

Kind Regards

Christian Bassani
Matrix Games
[ 18 SEP 2012 11:42 by Cgcoxn ]

Christian,

I completly uninstalled both AVG and Malwarebytes, then reninstalled the games as you suggested below with negative results. The games did not run correctly with NO security package installed. I also noticed that when installing both games from the links they did not auto-install to default folder as usual. I had to create the folder for them to install to. I seem to remember when I initally installed these games that was not the case. I wonder if there could be another issue here? As far as I'm aware both are compatable with Win7, correct?
[ 18 SEP 2012 05:20 by ChristianBassani ]

Hi Cgcoxn

The error messages you're getting are usually attributed to the users internet security package. Just before the game runs the game checks the serial number in the systems registry to make sure it's valid and if it is valid then the game starts else it displays similar error messages to what you're getting. This is why I suggested removing your internet security package and then reinstalling the game again so nothing interferes when installing / running the game.

Kind Regards

Christian Bassani
Matrix Games
[ 14 SEP 2012 13:24 by Cgcoxn ]

Christian,

This was not the issue. Now both games are saying they cannot find a file. I tried downloading older files from the members area, but all downloads are not running properly. I'm not sure at this point what the issue is.
[ 14 SEP 2012 07:07 by ChristianBassani ]

Hi Cgcoxn

I do apologise for the issues you are experiencing. Try the following:

1. Uninstall the games.
2. Uninstall your internet security package.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Reinstall the games.
5. Try running the games.

If the issue has disappeared then reinstall your internet security package.

Kind Regards

Christian Bassani
Matrix Games
[ 13 SEP 2012 22:26 by Cgcoxn ]

Hello. I downloaded EIA and GOA to my new laptop and unzipped them. They both will not run. Both say there is an error with my serial number and I need to contact Matrix. It displays several different error codes from -1 to 200. Autoruns on both games give the error that data files can not be found.

I am running 64bit Win 7 professional. Thanks. I have no idea what or where my order number is, but my serial numbers are:
Empires in Arms
Guns Of August 1914 - 1918

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”