Case Blue Long PBEM as Russians

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

jonny211

Case Blue Long PBEM as Russians

Post by jonny211 »

Hi all,

I'm the Russians in a PBEM and within the first 8 turns have lost control of the centre of the map (Hurrah for RedMarkus4) with armies encircled and destroyed north of Rostov and south of Davidovkao. It's pretty much clear all the way to Stalingrad from Millerovko.

What do others do in this situation, where would you draw the next defensive line in the centre? Or not bother and send reinforcements to Stalingrad and hope to hold there.

Cheers.

Jon
Keunert

RE: Case Blue Long PBEM as Russians

Post by Keunert »

could you give some more info or maybe a screenshot? you could compare to other aar's. the problem will be that soviet reinforcements kick in rather late. if he is fast enough he will be near Stalingrad before you are able to build much of a defence there.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Doing what the Russians did in 1942 will probably help you here as well...save your reinforcement cards, retreat back to Stalingrad, but try and hold in front. Use your 8 pt Fortification card to fortify in front of the city. In the Caucaus as well..retreat down to the river um...Terek and the mountain passes. Save your political points and buy the Tblisi supply card. Try to have at least a rifle division in every hex along the front.

Use the Don as much as possible...try and give your units at least two turns before he makes contact to 'dig' in. The longer the line stretches for him, the harder it will be to surround/push.

At an opportune moment, play your reinforcment cards on waiting HQ's (in cities on rail lines) near where you want to attack....then hit his lines. His air recon cant spot your units if they are not on the map.

Forget using the Russian airforce until winter...but keep your fighters well enough back so they can intercept, but not be attacked by his fighters directly.

My opponent believes in the two hex rule..if you are two hexes away, the Germans will not have enough AP's to launch a serious attack....or to exploit if they do.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: jonny211

Hi all,

I'm the Russians in a PBEM and within the first 8 turns have lost control of the centre of the map (Hurrah for RedMarkus4) with armies encircled and destroyed north of Rostov and south of Davidovkao. It's pretty much clear all the way to Stalingrad from Millerovko.

What do others do in this situation, where would you draw the next defensive line in the centre? Or not bother and send reinforcements to Stalingrad and hope to hold there.

Cheers.

Jon

I'd buy a good bottle of vodka, send it to him and ask him to start over [:)]
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

LiquidSky has it fairly spot on IMO. My opponent has done the exact same thing with the 'two hex rule'. I reckon it could be the time to pull back in force if I'm reading your report correctly. Any units with reduced APs just leave behind as blocking units. That gives the Axis player a hard choice as to how he advances, i.e. leaving his mechanised units exposed to counter attacks. Remember he wont know just how weak you are, so the odd cleverly placed blocking unit will make him think twice before going for all out advance. At least that is what my opponent has done to me[:(]
jonny211

Post by jonny211 »

I'm afraid it's as Keunert said, the replacements and new units don't come fast enough to rebuild a line in front of Stalingrad and I can't see him getting low on fuel or supplies either. I've launched small counter attacks using 5th Tank Army on his north flank and a blob from from Rostov moving north towards Voroshilovgrad in the hope he'll pull back a bit.

Another problem I ran into was the forces I shipped out from Sevastopol landed and suddenly my supplies ran out, they must've been hungry!

Still I'm ahead on fighters, and nearly tanks too and discounting the axis minor infantry he has about 100k more troops. I'll cross my fingers but it could all be over by the end of August.

Return to “The War Room”