Difference between DC1 and DC2 AI?

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Blond_Knight

Difference between DC1 and DC2 AI?

Post by Blond_Knight »

I just bought Warsaw to Paris with the coupon.
Out of curiousity whats the difference between the DC1 and DC2 AI?
Keunert

RE: Difference between DC1 and DC2 AI?

Post by Keunert »

i'd say both are a lot better on defence. they can give the axis a hard time. but i found the ai as an attacker less convincing, it lacks strategic thinking. but i couldn't say which one is better.
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

One big difference is the amount of time needed for turn resolution. DC2 is way, way faster than DC1, at least if you're playing on setting that gives the AI the most time to figure out its moves ("Very Slow" setting).

But that doesn't really speak to the overall quality difference in DC1 and 2. They seem more or less equally 'competent' to me. But the turn resolution factor is a big one for me. A whole AI turn in DC1 could take 45 minutes. In DC2, it's usually through it's turn in 10 minutes or less.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Was on the fence about which of these games to order DC1 or DC2. A 45 min turn time in Dc1 vs DC2's 10 min or less seems to point to DC2.

Also seems much of the forum traffic has stopped for DC1 and everyone is now on the Dc2 forum.

I have been playing probably too much WITE,how does DC2's ai stackup in comparison to WITE?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

The AI in Case Blue is much more 'in your face' the WiTE. It will aggressively attack any exposed units, and will withdraw when it feels threatened. There won't be any 'teleporting' units either. WiTE, however, follows a script, so it can be made better and better by the designers, as different exploits pop up.

On the other hand....Case Blue has an event system, which can also be used to script AI stuff.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Was on the fence about which of these games to order DC1 or DC2. A 45 min turn time in Dc1 vs DC2's 10 min or less seems to point to DC2.

Also seems much of the forum traffic has stopped for DC1 and everyone is now on the Dc2 forum.

I have been playing probably too much WITE,how does DC2's ai stackup in comparison to WITE?

I wouldn't want what I said to deter folks from looking into DC1, which remains a terrific game. DC2 improves an already excellent game in a lot of ways though, so starting with it certainly makes sense.

I guess I never really minded the turn resolution time in DC1 -- which, it should be noted, was mostly long in the Fall Gelb scenario, when all the Allied forces (France, then Belgium, etc. )had to resolve their moves in turn. On the "Very Slow" setting, this could indeed take quite a while. I guess because it always took me a long time to resolve my own turns -- I like to be thorough! -- I figured, 'hey, if it takes the AI 45 minutes, fine -- it took me twice that!' -- and it was kind of a nice break.

But I was definitely struck by how much faster the turn resolution is in Case Blue.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Im enjoying Case Blue but the sheer size of it can be overwhelming for someone like myself used to tactical sized games. So I thought Id get Warsaw to Paris just because of its smaller size. Honestly the only reason I didnt buy it at release was the lack of an editor. When Vic enabled it for Case Blue there was no reason not to buy it.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”