When?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Centuur

RE: rest and work

Post by Centuur »

Hmmm. I always thought that chess was one of the oldest wargames made... So that wouldn't exist too, wouldn't it...
Peter
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

So what's the latest release date being tossed around?

Soon the world will be on it's fourth version of Windows since this thread started. Just sayin. :-)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

So what's the latest release date being tossed around?

Soon the world will be on it's fourth version of Windows since this thread started. Just sayin. :-)
Warspite1

Given the unfortunate health dramas of Steve, as far as I'm aware there is no release
date being worked to at the moment. Steve continues to work with the beta testers on getting this monster finished, but frankly, his recuperation and recovery has to be the focus first and foremost.

The end of month update report is due next week.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
helmseye

Post by helmseye »

TECHNICALY GUINESS IS A STOUT NOT A BEER.........

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Careful, careful - you may get Americans attacking Irish embassies all over the world when you put such things on the internet...
"Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none"
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

I see some screenshots in the Sep 1 report above. So are those the graphics we are going with here? I know wargamers aren't supposed to care about graphics, but it is 2012 and some of the text on those counters is difficult to read, and it looks like a zoomed in view.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The graphics are just fine - the counters are a faithful reproduction of the board game and the map is a billion times better than the last map design ADG brought out - and the whole world too.

There will be no changes to either of these.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Like I said, the screen shots look a bit too zoomed in to be the typical view used to play the game. Are there any screen shots available that show a typical view from game play, rather than being zoomed in to a tiny section of the map?
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

Like I said, the screen shots look a bit too zoomed in to be the typical view used to play the game. Are there any screen shots available that show a typical view from game play, rather than being zoomed in to a tiny section of the map?

how much of the map do you want to see
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

I'm looking for a typical view of the map used while playing. Don't the screenshots above seem quite a bit zoomed in? Like the purpose is showing something on the map, not playing the game. Show me a typical view seen while playing the game, including unit counters.

Something like this looks more typical scale:

tm.asp?m=1288557

Are the unit counters readable at this scale? Or is better resolution needed?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Look through some of the other threads where you found the screen shots you posted. There are literally dozens of pix with counters in them at that same scale.
Paul
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

I'm looking for a typical view of the map used while playing. Don't the screenshots above seem quite a bit zoomed in? Like the purpose is showing something on the map, not playing the game. Show me a typical view seen while playing the game, including unit counters.

Something like this looks more typical scale:

tm.asp?m=1288557

Are the unit counters readable at this scale? Or is better resolution needed?
Falcon1,

The program allows the player to scale the graphic presentation to their system and preferences. Below is Zoom level 3 of 8 with Medium resolution counter graphics

Attachments
F1.jpg
F1.jpg (487.89 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

And the same view with High resolution counter graphics.

Attachments
F2.jpg
F2.jpg (495.03 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

All this is dependent on your specific system. The maps are from my 25" 1920x1080 monitor. I use it for main detailed maps, and a second smaller monitor for other forms. MWIF is massive is scale, and every inch of screen can be used.

With the use of map views and screen layouts, you can customize all this to meet your preferences. There are some older threads where Steve details some of this.

-Rob

Centuur

Post by Centuur »

On zoom level 4 and higher, the details are quite good readable with high resolution counter graphics...

Steve really did a good job there...
Peter
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

There was a game from earlier this year that you can get a good idea of the graphics and general interface.

tm.asp?m=2943601
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Note also that there is a size limitation on the jpg files that can be attached to forum posts so the picture files are highly compressed. Generally, the view on the screen has more resolution than what you see in some of the pictures here.
Paul
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

I wish the whiteprint numbers had a little black outline but maybe they are better "in person".
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

I wish the whiteprint numbers had a little black outline but maybe they are better "in person".

As Paul mentioned above, the screen shots are highly compressed. I had to get them under 500 KB for this forum, so the appearance is not as sharp as in game.

-Rob
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Thanks guys this is very helpful.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

The white numbers do have a black outline when displayed against a light color background. For example, for the French and Chinese. And of course for the Danes and Yugoslavs, which have a pure white background. Similarly, the black numbers have a red background for the SS units (and Belgians and Afghans).

Basically, I went through all the units in the game and added outlines for the numbers if they became illegible. For instance, Japanese Tank Buster numbers are shown in red on red, so I added a Black outline. A lot of this stuff had to be coded for individual units - a real pain to do.

The screenshot is at zoom level 8 (maximum).

EDIT: I just threw some units on the map in the Balkans. In retrospect, I could have made better choices, since the SS and Belgian units don't show the use of the red outline.
Attachments
UnitNumbers.jpg
UnitNumbers.jpg (503.17 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”