Jolly Terrain Mod

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

cbelva

Jolly Terrain Mod

Post by cbelva »

I downloaded the terrain mod from Jolly, but I can't get it to install. I have install other mods, but his one does not appear to change the scenary. Trees are still lime green. I was looking at the file structure of the mod, and it does not appear to match the game. Can someone help me with this?
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
Blaugrana

RE: Jolly Terrain Mod

Post by Blaugrana »

Probably silly question - Have you double clicked the name of the mod so it has a yellow square next to it, and then clicked on the check mark at the bottom of the Modification screen?

If you have, it should be working.

OTOH, I'm not sure how dramatic a change it brings about, or whether it works with 1.5. Others who use it will, I hope, be along soon to answer these points.
oldspec4

Post by oldspec4 »

ORIGINAL: Blaugrana

Probably silly question - Have you double clicked the name of the mod so it has a yellow square next to it, and then clicked on the check mark at the bottom of the Modification screen?

If you have, it should be working.

OTOH, I'm not sure how dramatic a change it brings about, or whether it works with 1.5. Others who use it will, I hope, be along soon to answer these points.

IMO, the mod enhances tree color (for the better) and seems to work fine under 1.5
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Yes, I have the yellow square checked. Reading the forum, it was never updated after the 1.3 patch that apparently changed the file structure within the program. Others has had the same problem. Some have gotten it to work. It doesn't seem to be working for me.
Charles Belva
Blaugrana

Post by Blaugrana »

I have just downloaded Jolly's Antietam Trees and Terrain mod (sorry that name is approximate!), loaded it up and it works beautifully in 1.5.

Maybe try this one?

BTW, I earlier tried Jolly's Terrain mod and it looked no different to stock. Now I realise the mod wasn't working, because I was using a saved game! I mention this on the off chance that anyone else is as un-savvy as me.

HTH
Mikesla

Post by Mikesla »

ORIGINAL: Blaugrana
BTW, I earlier tried Jolly's Terrain mod and it looked no different to stock. Now I realise the mod wasn't working, because I was using a saved game! I mention this on the off chance that anyone else is as un-savvy as me.

HTH

Hi.

With the new patched version (1.5) you no longer have to reactivate the mods to play a saved game. Once you load the saved game, SOW should now activate the mods automatically for you so you can play without it giving you the dreaded crash to desktop. Mind you though I haven't tried it.
William Tecumseh Sherman: I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes.
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

Mods don't work with the GB stock scenarios. To play these with mods you have to DL the SDK which includes the scenarios, then rename the ones you want to play as mods...plus, put them in mod form. Yeah, suks I know, but at present, that's the process.

Hopefully, down the line, this can be adjusted, possibly in the line of 'permitted' mods that don't allow cheating in order to earn those coveted General Stars and Bars.
Designer - Scourge of War
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Ok, now I am really confused. This is the first I have heard that the mods won't work with the stock scenarios, and I have read thru the forums at Norbs website. I have some mods that are working. Maybe a detailed explaination needs to be put together explaining how things work those of us who came late to the party. What I am talking about is a step to step guide. The only mod that I have that I am having trouble with is Jolly's Terrain mod. I have downloaded the Antietam mod tho its file structure looks correct, it still does nothing. Thanks for letting me vent.

PS--if someone have Jolly's Terrain file working with 1.5 (as it appears some of you do) maybe you can post it for the rest of us to us (if Jolly doesn't mind of course)
Charles Belva
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

No extensive explanation is necessary, just like I said, only the GB stock scenarios are restricted from playing with mods.

Jolly's mod is available for DL on the SOW forum website, please access it there, apologies, I can't post links as of yet.
Designer - Scourge of War
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I seem to remember from the previous Manassas games that in order for mods to show up in the stock scenarios you had to use the warpack utility to unpack the scenario, add your mods, then repack the scenario. A bit of a pain but not that difficult.
budd

Post by budd »

just purchased the game, and would like to use jolly terrain mod too get rid of the lime green trees. i'm confused above says mods dont work with stock scenarios, but some have it working. I cant seem to get any of the mods to work. some help would be appreciated. I downloaded both jolly terrain mod and the antietam tree mod and someone in the sow forums said that would work, also tried the map icon ones. I put them in the mod folder and activated them in game [yellow box] and no joy. I just downloaded the game today, the download is 1.5 Wish this game used JSME would make things easier. Tried JSME also, activated them in JSME no go also.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
budd

Post by budd »

So i was going to just use the jolly terrain mod and overwrite some files, but it seems things have changed in the file structure for 1.5. There is no terrain folder in the graphics folder and i cant see any files in any of the directories that match the files in the mod. Anyone get the mods working on a new 1.5 download and install? So do any of the mods work on a new 1.5 install on the stock scenarios?

Garnier

Post by Garnier »

No regular mods work with stock scenarios in SOW as far as I know.

It was possible to mod the files in the Base directory without using the mod folder system, and this is how Jolly's mod was originally released. But the file structure for graphics is changed now and I don't know if or how that can be done anymore. I never played stock scenarios anyway so I haven't bothered to figure it out.

The mods should all work if you play sandbox games, multiplayer, or any custom scenarios.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
budd

Post by budd »

thx for clearing that up. Hopefully the terrain mod will be made to use with the stock scenarios at some point. Thx again.

Jolly

Post by Jolly »

Well, it confused me for a time, but thanks for the interest in this. :)
The original 'Trees Terrain Graphics Mod' worked for SOW Gettyburg PRE 1.04 patch. With the Antietam add-on and 1.04 patch the graphics file format was altered.

Sorry, but the original terrain mod won't work in the MOD folder.
budd

Post by budd »

I don't know which version of your mod I'm running but it seems to be working. I took the scenarios from the sdk and renamed them and I am using a bunch of mode with the stock scenarios now. I also tried the antiem mod but thought the trees were too dark in gettysberg. Thx rebbugler for the help getting the mods working with the stock scenarios.

Jolly

Post by Jolly »

hehe - WELL DONE ! :)

As you say, the Antietam trees are a not really suited for the Gettyburg maps.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”