Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason?

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

michaelm75au

RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason?

Post by michaelm75au »

Only a bug in that you don't know you have a problem until the repairs kick in![:D]
Michael
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Only a bug in that you don't know you have a problem until the repairs kick in![:D]
As always, thanks for the great support!!!

[&o][&o][&o]
Pax
obvert

Post by obvert »

Thanks for all of the answers here. I'll try some more thorough tests of this later this weekend as I already have it all set up. I might also try some different attack parameters to get slightly less damage to see how that works for each ship, and I'll try them in a TF on patrol maybe 5 hexes from port so if damaged they would have to stay on the water during the entire turn.

I'd like to see how different the resulting repair times are for each ship type (BB, CA, CL) based on similar damage. So if I can get say 4-5 devices destroyed on each type, see what the time would be in level 9 Madras for each ship type, then maybe I'll understand this better.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

It is not the actual device replacement that is spiking the SYS, but the fact the total of the damaged devices does not reflect the actual SYS showing. In the example with the 99 SYS, the SYS of 9 was not correct for the number of actual devices damaged. When one device set was repaired, it calculated the total damage and determined it was understated.
From the result, I would expected that the correct SYS level after the port attack should have been closer to 99 than the value it was (9).
That makes way more sense than +90 sys from repairing some mounts! Thanks.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I had never seen this before, but I don't put warships in ports that might be bombed. Usually just AKLs and they always sink. Every time I've played Dec. 8, the BBs etc. that didn't sink and aren't on fire seem to have the same damage as after I put them in dry dock. I'll pay more attention next time. Maybe I'll just run a quick test and see it for myself.

And thanks, LoBaron, I'm rather dense, I'm afraid.

LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
And thanks, LoBaron, I'm rather dense, I'm afraid.

Putting Michaels response into consideration, you were about as far away from the actual truth as me. Guess we are both dense then. [:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

[:D]

I just ran a Dec. 7, 8, 9 test and the only damage that increased on any ships (none were on fire) was in a few cases flotation damage. This must not be a valid test of the above issue, perhaps because the start of the game is scrypted I suppose. I have screen shots of the attack with #s of bomb hits and torpedo hits. I have shots of manage repair screens for the 8th, taken after I issued repair orders. I had some ships in each type, readiness, pier, repair ship and drydock. Some repairs on some ships were done in each category, SYS FLT and ENG, but the most significant repairs were on a few ship's flotation. I also of course have screenshots from the 9th for comparison. I saved it so I can run it for a couple more days if anyone wants me to. And I'll post any of the screenshots that anyone wants to see, if any.

sandman455

Post by sandman455 »

It is not the actual device replacement that is spiking the SYS, but the fact the total of the damaged devices does not reflect the actual SYS showing. In the example with the 99 SYS, the SYS of 9 was not correct for the number of actual devices damaged. When one device set was repaired, it calculated the total damage and determined it was understated.
From the result, I would expected that the correct SYS level after the port attack should have been closer to 99 than the value it was (9).

Thanks for posting this explanation.

I had a similar episode where the system damage took a massive spike after a battleship took a lot of topside damage but nothing appeared to be severe on the next turn. It's easy to dismiss those X's on the gun mounts.

Oddly enough I thought the huge spike in sys damage was related to crew casualties be calculated. The AA crews were obviously wiped out but the DC teams would have been decimated as well from so many hits being taken. It would have required a few months to get new crew to the ship and integrated into the ship's company so I was thinking the system damage was reflecting this.

Either way, its good to see a ship not getting off easy from so many hits.
Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)
obvert

Post by obvert »

Michael-

Here is the save from just after the test. A head to head game, saved on the Allied turn. The other ships, CAs and CLs are still in the port with various levels of damage.

Attachments
wpae010.pws.zip
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Here is the new view after running the save. The understated SYS is now applied at the end of the turn (would have been applied after the combat turn normally).

Attachments
madras1.jpg
madras1.jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Michael
obvert

Post by obvert »

Here is the new view after running the save. The understated SYS is now applied at the end of the turn (would have been applied after the combat turn normally).

So I'm not sure what you have done here. When I kept going turn after turn the devices were eventually replaced and system damage went up to 99. Did you do something different here? Sorry if I'm a bit dense, but that is definitely a different result than I got from just running more turns.

PS - Are the devices now replaced?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

And after the 2pdr are repaired..

Note that these results are with a new EXE I'm testing.

Attachments
madras2.jpg
madras2.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Michael
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

New exe, eh? Nice color coding Michael! [:D]
obvert

Post by obvert »

And after the 2pdr are repaired..

Note that these results are with a new EXE I'm testing.

Ahhh. That makes sense now. Great.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

The GREEN colored (ammo) indicates that the port (without any tenders, etc) can reload the device. Kept having to look back at notes to see if the ship could rearm.
Michael
btbw

Post by btbw »

What if damage cost of repair destroyed equioment will be percentage of total device numbers?
For example ship have 50% structure damage and have destroyed half of weapon mounts.
So during replace destroyed mounts ship got additional 24.5% (half of 99-50%) damage.
Damage cost from repair cost can also be calculated as percentage of total load weight of all mounts but percentage of remaining damage.
So ship dont receive total destruction from numerous light AA mounts replace which can only damage only a few area of ship (depending from how big that mount). And dont damage again ship in places which already damaged (100+%) because replace or destroying it same hole.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

The GREEN colored (ammo) indicates that the port (without any tenders, etc) can reload the device. Kept having to look back at notes to see if the ship could rearm.

[&o] Thats even better than I thought!

Sorry to go off topic, but did you remove the unlimited aviation support in that exe as well?
(If you prefer not to answer here I could shamelessly bump my thread on this topic in the tech support section. [;)] )
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

yes, but left in for AI
Michael
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Nice! Me too...
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

yes, but left in for AI

YEEEHAAA! Neeed...a....release.....date.....drool..... [:D]

Return to “Tech Support”