New to the Game

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

michael1776

New to the Game

Post by michael1776 »

I purchased this game years ago, and am just now getting around to playing it. I understand most of the mechanics so far, but I am confused about what the numbers on the unit counters mean. It seems that the number in the round circle is the number of activation points you have left? Is this true of HQ units as well as liner infantry counters? What is the number in the box? Also, is the letter on an infantry counter the unit quality?

I realize that many have probably moved on from this game, but any help would be appreciated. Seems like an outstanding WWI game.

Thanks,
MJ

Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
michael1776

RE: New to the Game

Post by michael1776 »

Please disregard. I was able to locate the information I was looking for in the FAQ.

MJ

Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Hi Michael - yes it is pretty dead here, but you are right - the game is an outstanding WW1 game - IMO by far the best around.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Ralph1961

Post by Ralph1961 »

Its a great game, really got me interested in WW1. Glad to see other WW1 games coming out also.
Matto

Post by Matto »

I have it installed still and one or two times per year I play one campaign. Great game with really good AI !
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Has anyone else tried the other WW1 games from Matrix (or anyone else)? I've played the WW2 versions of Commander and have Advanced Tactics Gold, but neither of them really appeal to me like GOA does - they are just unsubtle and ho-hum/"flavourless".

I haven't tried "World War One Gold" - but the screenshots & description don't make me want to spend any money on it.

Any others anyone has tried?
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

I like HPS France 1914. Its on the battalion level so at a different scale but I lam enjoying it.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Yeah I like the TOAW scenarios for WW1 at a lower level (Bn or regiment mainly) - but they do not capture the flavour of the strategic war IMO - that is where I think GOA really shines above the rest.

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”