Russian strength

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: doomtrader

Brooksie55

Russian strength

Post by Brooksie55 »

Played a few games now as Germany. I tend to be able to defeat Poland, Norway and Low Countries failry easlily. I then take on France and allies. Somethimes they attack me first and others I make the assault. Slowly grid them down as well without losing many units if any.
Before I do though Russia decalres war. I thought I had enough units there but as soon as I meet them on the field they have numerous tank units strength 20 and many other army units. The best I have is about 9 or 10 strength mech units. This is about 1942.
Either I am buying too many units and not investing in research enough. I focus on tanks but am way behind.

Next time I will attack much earlier perhaps I am leaving it to late and allowing them to much time to develop?

Any hints gratefully received.
Brooksie
joe6778

RE: Russian strength

Post by joe6778 »

I had the exact same experience. The Russian tanks were already at level 3 when Barbarossa started and they cut through my units and Finland like butter. I couldn't take Riga and only got as far as Rostov by 1942. Even when I cut off supply to a Russian tank unit, it was still very strong on the next turn and difficult to destroy. I turned off the FOW to see what the Russians had and they seemed to be way too powerful for this stage in the war.

I, too, would like to hear how other players handle the USSR.
Appren

Post by Appren »

The AI cheat a lot compared to you, when played on normal. Still, it should be very doable to conquer Russia. You need some panzer corps, and should also be able to have at least one panzer army by the start of Barbarossa. Two or three tactical bomber units attack the more powerful Russian formations, and then your panzers finish them off. Be sure you know how to use concentric attacks (read manual if needed), I had some embarassing failures before I bothered to read the manual to find this out. [:D]
You should typically not lose any units at all before Barbarossa, and when taking France, just ignore everything around the Maginot line, and go for surrounding Paris, siege it for a turn if needed, then concentric attack + normal attacks, and it should fall fast (sometimes the AI doesnt even garrison Paris!!!)
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I have no problem taking the other countries before Barbarossa. But I can't afford all those bombers and an armored army before 1941 because I have to pay for amphibious points (for Narvik) and research to bring my fighters and tanks up to level 3.
Appren

Post by Appren »

You can invade Norway with just 3 amph points, take Oslo with the support of two bombers (delay the landing by one turn, so that bombers will be on ground in northern Denmark, ready to hit Oslo), and a naval bombardment, while landing your best infantry army, after that just land more infantry in Oslo and walk, using air support as needed.
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I usually take Narvik easily but my other invading units run out of supply before they can take Bergen and Oslo.

Even so, I'm stuck in the USSR which ends my chances of winning.
Brooksie55

Post by Brooksie55 »

I have played a few games now, adjusting the AI to give me a bit of a boost whilst learn the mechanics. I can take France, Low Countries, Norway etc quite easily. Poland goes in 3 turns, havent managed to do it in 2 yet.
On the last two occasions I hit Russia in 1941. After a bit of resistance they fall way and I take Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrad, and the oil regions beyond. Russia doesnt suurrender though. I am not sure how they surrender or if that is possible.

I suddenly find massive Russian strength in Rumania and far out the the east of the map and the section below the oil fields beyond Stalingrad. It looked as if they simply gave up their homeland and migrated elsewhere to continue fighting.

The number of units they cranked out started to overwhelm me even though my technology was better. I had now been invaded by the USA (even though I was fighting in the UK and even took London) and wanted to bring units back from the East but couldnt do that.

So how do you make Russia surrender?.
Brooksie
petrosian

Post by petrosian »

When I start the game in the 1941 scenario, I can pretty much handle Russia with some resistance. When I start at the 1939 scenario, it is impossible to build up enough points to build/upgrade tanks to match the ruskies. And the bombers have little effect.
Brooksie55

Post by Brooksie55 »

When in doubt refer to the manual. Finally Russia surrendered, after 2 years of fighting, by taking every one of their cities (with VP allocation).

I found it hard in the east where after a successful attack there was no movement points left to move into the hex, which on the next turn was simply occupied again by another Russian unit. Hint, dont use all the forces surrounding an enemy unit, leave one with some ability to move into a vacant hex.
Brooksie
panzers

Post by panzers »

I have played the 1939 scenario 4 times now as Germany and have split the results. One of the times that I won, I blitzed through them like a hot knife through butter. The other one , I had a very difficult time including keeping a line for 6 turns waiting for them to move. They finally did and I made my move very cautiously I find having bombers are not that important(I had two of them at the start of Barbarossa.( they become important later)
Always make sure you have as many commanders in your panzers as possible.
Just remember, build tanks. tanks and more tanks with a few mechs scattered in and you have to have not only your tech level on tanks at 3, but also upgrade all your tanks accordingly.
I find that I am only able to have two or three panzer armies before the start
You need to take Yugoslavia and then that will be enough time to be ready just in time for Babarossa in June '41.
Another thing I find is that it is better off to take Greece later in the war for it bogs down one or two precious units made for Barbarossa.
I don.t even go after Norway(partly because I am still trying to learn the amphib rules and partly because I control the swedes and let them do the dirty work)I do, however go after Switzerland and can take it in one turn. (the ten victory points come in handy)
As far as Russia goes. when I go deep into the Soviet Union, I run into the blockade in Slovedlsk(or however you spell that). I send as many panzers and mechs as possible over there while I smash into the Caucuses. It took me 8 or 9 months to finally take Slovdlsk. That was December 1943. (luckily the tank sitting there was in clear weather.
I wouldn't build any ships whatsoever, there rarely are any attacks where anything is outright sunk. I wouldn't buy any u boats either for I don't know if they are doing their job as raiding the convoys. (the game doesn't tell you anything about any kind of progress when it comes to that).
The Navy played a big part in the war and this game,unfortunately, doesn't address that.
The bottom line is tanks,tanks,tanks.
joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

I've started about six 1939 campaigns as Germany on normal difficulty, and they play out like this:

Poland falls in two turns, Denmark in one, Norway in one, Yugoslavia in two or three turns. No problem until Barbarossa.

The Soviets have massive amounts of units coming from Riga. If you can destroy them before losing most of your units, you have a chance of beating them back to the last stronghold on the east of the map. No need to make them surrender.

The DAK unit usually makes it to Tobruk or maybe Alexandria before the British counterattack and eliminate the German/Italian forces in North Africa.

The US joins the Allies around January 1942, but they don't land in France until later. If the Germans are successful against the USSR, they can shift/build units to defend France and win the campaign.

You have to have at least two armored armies and tanks at level 3 to have a shot at beating back the USSR. Even so, the amount of units they throw at you is crazy. It seems that even when their units are cut off from supply, they still stay strong for a few turns, where mine weaken quickly.

I can tell by turn 30 if I have a chance at winning the campaign.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

I wouldn't buy any u boats either for I don't know if they are doing their job as raiding the convoys. (the game doesn't tell you anything about any kind of progress when it comes to that).

I found out where this info is. Click on the Reports screen, then click on the Reports Events tab then click on Raiders. Make sure the country you want is highlighted and it should tell you what your uboats did last turn.
Brooksie55

Post by Brooksie55 »

Played the 41 campaign a few times on normal setting and can win that most times. On the 39 campaign like others I can easily take Poland, France, Denmark and get prepared for the invasion of Russia. I can never get as many units stacked up as are available in the 41 campaign though.
I put all my research into tanks but cannot get them as advanced as Russia can. Almost immediately my 12 strength (best I achieved) came up against 20 strength Russian armour. Not just one of them but 4 or 5 at least. How do they manage that when on a 41 campaign their strength is minimal?
I have never yet beaten Russia on the 41 campaign, I cant really get beyond that second line of defence.
Brooksie

Return to “The War Room”