Why I write down notes

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Misconduct

Why I write down notes

Post by Misconduct »

I have a very nice parker pen which I keep a pad next to me to write down things, passwords such. Last year decided to write down some notes during my PBEM with John - each turn i'd add a little something here and there - like what I was up too.

John ended up in the hospital in May and just got out, called me up and asked if I wanted to Resume our Game, its 9/43 and I am allies - I said Sure thing! I haven't played since then - I looked at the map and was just Puzzled... oh no what was I doing?!?

I find my trusty note pad in my desk drawer.... Last turn May 3rd 2012...
5 Short little lines of information, I look at the map - ahh right where I left off.

Going to have my cup of Joe now and get back in in the game :)
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
CaptDave

RE: Why I write down notes

Post by CaptDave »

Great testimonial for note-taking, and good thoughts to John.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

He's doing good, he was in a car accident - someone rear ended him - he was in very bad shape. I would of gave him my laptop so he could stay in touch with the world, but the hospital wouldn't allow it.

Poor sap couldn't play AE for months! it thrived to make him better, and he's back home rsting with his wife :)

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

I always have notebooks or scrap paper around for notes... what grognard in their right (or wrong) mind would not do this? :) GLAD to hear your friend John is doing better. Best wishes!
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Great idea- I should write it down so I don't forget it. Now what was I doing?
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Wish WITP:AE had a function to create and store notes in-game. Right now I have tons of Word and Excel files to help me remember my plans and move orders. If you don't take notes and have a long hiatus from the game then you are set for the Restart in the Pacific.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: CyrusSpitama

I always have notebooks or scrap paper around for notes... what grognard in their right (or wrong) mind would not do this? :) GLAD to hear your friend John is doing better. Best wishes!

+1
Glad to hear John is on the mend.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

Good one Yaab :)

I know I have already forgotten a few key quick notes on either the task force names or on my notebook. A few days later I am trying to figure out where my ships going. ...3 hours later... "Dang it ! Time for bed. At least I have my notes now!" :P
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

This reminds me of playing Ultima 6 over 20 years ago. I had made maps of all the dungeons using graph paper and had written down conversation pieces by all the npcs(non player character).
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

He's doing good, he was in a car accident - someone rear ended him - he was in very bad shape. I would of gave him my laptop so he could stay in touch with the world, but the hospital wouldn't allow it.

Poor sap couldn't play AE for months! it thrived to make him better, and he's back home rsting with his wife :)

In England part of the recuperation process is to allow all AE players use of a computer. Doctors and nurses find it stimulates the brain cell, keeps the player's muscles toned (shoulder down) and plain stops them getting bored. It does have a down side though, they can get very grumpy after a bad turn often resulting in high blood pressure and outbursts of angst towards all those saying, "You still playing the same game".[:D]
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

I play in windowed mode, one resolution smaller than the natural res of my display that way I can have (and see most) notepad open all the time.  I also put notes on all TF which I find essential.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

This reminds me of playing Ultima 6 over 20 years ago. I had made maps of all the dungeons using graph paper and had written down conversation pieces by all the npcs(non player character).

I did the same thing with Ultima Underworld, wrote down all the stuff, one of the first games that I bothered to start writing notes for in fact.

/Never got to finish the game
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Misconduct -

I use Microsoft Word (Office 2007) to keep notes. Each time I do a new campaign set up, I will use the saved notes from earlier games - 33 pages thus far, all in one document - as a guide; with current game turn notes to track what happened - or needs to be done next turn.

AE's level of complexity makes note taking an art.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Good notes are always handy. I actually write up a "War Doctrine" for every campaign. I need to tape it to my computer screen , because I keep breaking doctrine.....and losing wars! [:D]
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

This is why I have yet to play PBEM: I'd be speding way more time than I have on the game. As it is, playing the AI without notes is just another handicap to make the game more of a challenge.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”