U boat warfare

Strategic War in Europe is a grand strategy game where you command one or more of the 25 countries in the game. War, diplomacy, technological progress, recruitment, conquest – this is all in your hands. There are no restrictions to the actions you can perform during your turn: unit movement, purchase, attack, technology investment, reinforcement, all of those can be done at any moment during the turn.

Moderator: doomtrader

panzers

U boat warfare

Post by panzers »

I would like to know how the U boats work. Are they automatically raiding the convoys and I as the German pklayer don't know it, or is there something where u can view the convoy damage?
Also, do I need to build packs of them or just one at a time filling in all the sea zones?
panzers

RE: U boat warfare

Post by panzers »

does anyone know? I just would like to know that my u boats are raiding the Atlantic
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Here's what just happened to me. I'm playing every major country in hotseat mode. The Germans start out with a U-boat in the Atlantic (not sure which zone, it's off of France). The British have a convoy route set up that goes to Alexandria. On the first turn I, the British, received a report that the Alexandria convoy had failed due to the U-boat. I don't know if the German player receives the same report as I'm playing everybody in hotseat mode and can see the result of every convoy.

I then put a British battleship and cruiser in the same zone and the next turn my convoy made it through. I have no idea if that's the answer to the U-boat problem or what ships are good at anti-submarine warfare.
panzers

Post by panzers »

ok. All I have played so far is Germany. They do not get a report. Seems like to me they should get exp like every other unit in the game. Thanks for the info
jomni

Post by jomni »

I think the U-boats are doing their job of interdicting covoys but the player just don't get the reports. :(
ricodc

Post by ricodc »

ORIGINAL: jomni

I think the U-boats are doing their job of interdicting covoys but the player just don't get the reports. :(

Yeah I agree but the Naval side could be better with a full report at the start of your turn. Apart from Recon/Airstrike & Bombardment its hard to tell if your Navy is carrying out its role properly.
jomni

Post by jomni »

I never noticed the lack of feedback in Storm Over the Pacific.  Maybe Doomtrader can comment on this issue.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

I'm not pretty sure what kind of report you would like to receive on the top of those already implemented?
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

I'm not pretty sure what kind of report you would like to receive on the top of those already implemented?
This is an old one but it is still an issue - there are reports in the report screen, but if raiding is successful one should get a report automatically, without having to go there.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
Omnius

Don't Be Lazy

Post by Omnius »

I find the sub war reporting for both sides to be sufficient. All one has to do is become familiar with the different reports available and you'll find how the sub war is going for either side. Having too many reports thrown at us in between turns just slows down the game resolution.
Omnius
Omnius

Sub War not like Time of Fury

Post by Omnius »

ORIGINAL: panzers

I would like to know how the U boats work. Are they automatically raiding the convoys and I as the German pklayer don't know it, or is there something where u can view the convoy damage?
Also, do I need to build packs of them or just one at a time filling in all the sea zones?

panzers,
One reason that the subs are less of an influence in SWiE than in Time of Fury is that there are no British Colonies or Iraqi port from which to ferry resources to England. In ToF it's running the sub gauntlet for delivering resources to England proper that gives subs meaning. In SWiE there are only supply convoys really to run so there is less convoy activity going on, thus less use for German or Italian subs.

There are reports for the player using subs to ascertain if he's sinking convoy STP's and how many and in which sea areas. I don't find it difficult to find out about convoy/sub activity from either perspective, I tend to ignore the convoy reports in between turns and read them after the fact in the reports section.
Omnius
borsook79

RE: Don't Be Lazy

Post by borsook79 »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I find the sub war reporting for both sides to be sufficient. All one has to do is become familiar with the different reports available and you'll find how the sub war is going for either side. Having too many reports thrown at us in between turns just slows down the game resolution.
Omnius
I disagree, now I have to open the reports screen every turn to see if anything happened (and usually it doesn't) if it opened automatically only when there is something new the game would be faster. Plus this could be toggleable in the options.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
Omnius

Wolf Packs

Post by Omnius »

ORIGINAL: panzers

panzers,
Wolf Packs work best because of leaders. Plus you have to be careful of placing subs in sea areas adjacent to enemy territory where tactical bombers can make survival tough like the eastern and western Atlantic. A nice wolf pack in the Central Atlantic with a good leader can work wonders. You have to be careful about how long you keep subs at sea, I usually rotate after 4 or 5 turns back to port before going out again. Or when a sub gets damaged I return to port to repair it before going abck out.
Omnius

Return to “Strategic War in Europe”