Withdrawal off - what happens with manual withdraw?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pmattiasn

Withdrawal off - what happens with manual withdraw?

Post by pmattiasn »

Just started a new "IronBabe" as allies vs AI and halfway through the second turn I realised I'm playing with withdrawals "off". Since I don't have the stomach to restart, and also want to try this out (never tried it before) I have a question. What happens to air units that are scheduled to come back at some point (as stated in purple at the middle of the unit screen) if I manually withdraw them? Since they have no withdraw date anymore is the return date also gone (even though it's still stated)?

Cheers,
Mattias

PS. Also, the manual doesn't give guidance to this as far as I can tell.
dr.hal

RE: Withdrawal off - what happens with manual withdraw?

Post by dr.hal »

Good questions PMN, and I would like to piggyback on them.... If one withdraws a unit a few days or weeks before the required date and the screen offers you the option to have the unit back in 120 days, if you select "yes" to that, and the unit comes back three months later, do you immediately start paying political points for the unit as it is on the "board" after its stated withdrawal date??? Thanks...Hal
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

1. If game started with "withdrawals on", certain units are earmarked for withdrawal and a list of the affected units is provided.

2. If game started with "withdrawals off", no units are earmarked for withdrawal and consequently there is no notification list.

3. Irrespective of whether the game has withdrawals on/off, LCUs can be "disbanded" (if the relevant conditions are met) and squadrons can be either "disbanded" or "withdrawn".

4. Section 7.2.2 of the manual deals with disbanding/withdrawing squadrons and the different timeframes for their return. Squadrons which were scheduled to be withdrawn, do not return if they are in limbo after their scheduled withdrawal date.

Alfred
pmattiasn

Post by pmattiasn »

Thanks, Alfred!

1-3 are no problem, however 7.2.2 in the manual doesn't make me any wiser as to my question.

Example:
I have a US air group that, if played with "withdrawals ON" (from the very beginning i.e. scenario selection stage), also has a return date.
However, starting a game with "withdrawals OFF", that very same unit now has no withdrawal date (i.e. after which PP are being lost each turn). But it still has the purple-coloured RETURN date! Does this mean that if I voluntarily withdraw it - will it still come back the same way as it would have done had there been a "PP loss after" date?

(This is important as I think some units are reconstituted and get different upgrade paths after they have returned.)
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

You aren't reading s.7.2.2 and what the aircraft screen says closely enough.[:)]

Technically squadrons which are scheduled to withdraw do not return in the same guise, having lost their pilots and airframes to the pools upon withdrawal. They return as a reconstituted squadron which may share the same name as the earlier, withdrawn squadron. The reconstituted squadron has to dig into the pools for pilots and airframes.

Note that withdrawing a non scheduled squadron sees it "return" after 60 days but most scheduled squadrons for withdrawal have a much longer time frame before their reconstituted namesake returns.

With no withdrawals selected rules outlined in s.7.2.2 apply only.

Alfred
pmattiasn

Post by pmattiasn »

Well, my only defense is that I had a long day in the office going over legal documents and my daily quota of that sort of texts is full [:)].

But that does answer my question! Thanks a bunch and good to know for the future (even though I probably will not play with withdrawals off again anytime soon.)

Cheers,
Mattias
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

If one withdraws a unit a few days or weeks before the required date and the screen offers you the option to have the unit back in 120 days, if you select "yes" to that, and the unit comes back three months later, do you immediately start paying political points for the unit as it is on the "board" after its stated withdrawal date??? Thanks...Hal

Yes. At least, that's what's happened to me.
-- Mark Sieving

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”