Ultimate in Win7 64bit, window locations

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
dlorentz

Ultimate in Win7 64bit, window locations

Post by dlorentz »

I assume this is an old issue, but I can't seem to find the answer looking through the forums.
I open up Commanders edition, relocate all my windows, ie Group, Unit etc according to my preferences, save the game and exit normally.
When I open up again, the windows are all in the default position again.
I found this link by TonyE:

HC window location/size registry reset for large fonts and other minor disasters:
(harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=228)

It seems to answer my problem, but I cannot find the proper file.
The link just takes me to the downloads section and I have searched and searched.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
I've been playing this game for almost 25 years and I want to continue.
Daren
Vincenzo_Beretta

RE: Ultimate in Win7 64bit, window locations

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

Yes, it is a known problem. IIRC, you can find the solution here:
http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... -settings/

Hope it helps!
dlorentz

Post by dlorentz »

Thanks, I got the file this time.
Unfortunately, it only partially worked.

My Range Circles, Game options and staff options settings were remembered
but it still defaulted to the original locations and sizes of the group and Unit windows.

It does not matter if I run it maximized or windowed, I am in windows XP compatability mode, check marks under settings only for "disable visual themes"
(this was default)
Priviledge- run as administrator
Resolution 1280X1024

Daren
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Daren,
How are you closing out of the game? The window sizes and positions are saved when exiting the game. If it is crashing (a bigger problem imho) then your sizes won't be saved.

The download Vince pointed you to is only for removing the game settings so running it will definitely not help you save the window sizes (in fact each time you run the utility it resets them to default).

Any other clues from your end?

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
dlorentz

Post by dlorentz »

Ya, I have never seen it act this way either, I thought it must have to do with how my shortcut is configured compatability-wise.
Game runs very stable, exits normally via File,Exit...
Maybe it saved Range circles and staff options properly before, but I never noticed.
So I guess my problem is not needing the windows positions reset, it's actually making sure they don't reset. (and I know this is what the program does by default)
I removed the check box from compatability mode and started it, still runs stable, exits normally.
I changed shortcut to run both maximized and windowed, don't notice a difference.
I am running a program called Ultramon for using multiple monitors. it ran side by side on my old notebook (winXP) with harpoon and never had a problem.
Although it does have a problem with harpoon ANW, I'll be troubleshooting that one later.
I can try to reinstall Harpoon CE and see if that helps, otherwise I'll uninstall ultramon and see if there is any difference.

Daren
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Daren found that removing Ultramon resolved the issue. He is still able to use the multiple monitors with Windows' built-in capabilities. Thanks for your efforts Daren!
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Tech Support”