Hairy Asian Experiences - GreyJoy (J) vs. Q-Ball (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GreyJoy

RE: Let's start!

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: princep01

But, Ser, you forget the most important thing!  The AAR that expresses all the success and failures has been most pleasantly presented and has entertained the mass of readers without fail.  Bravo!  (Crowd stands and cheers)

Thank you Master! Much appreciated.
Altough i have to admit that this AAR is way less interesting than my previous one. By April 1942 Rader had altready invaded India and conquered the whole China. Those events (and the others that followed during that summer of 1942) were clearly much much more interesting.
However i'm doing my best and i still hope to improve the quality of this AAR (i know i need to post more maps and be more detailed in my reports).
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Mar 31, 42

A quiet day.
Usual 4Es bombing over Akyab.
Usual ASW routines in the Malacca strait and in the DEI.
we landed at Broome and Derby. The bases should fall within a couple of days.

In China we managed to advance one more step north of Sian...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 83,38 (near Tienshui)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 38560 troops, 282 guns, 28 vehicles, Assault Value = 1111

Defending force 3265 troops, 39 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 60

Japanese adjusted assault: 1035

Allied adjusted defense: 6

Japanese assault odds: 172 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: fatigue(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
83 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2710 casualties reported
Squads: 48 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 61 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 35 (23 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Units retreated 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
61st Infantry Brigade
27th Division
110th Division
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
RGC Army
Mongol Garrison Army

Defending units:
38th Chinese Corps
23rd Chinese Corps

Helens enter into production today, but we're not producing them yet. In 10 days we should be able to reach 500 Na-Ha34 engines...so i wanna get there before releasing the Helens production. Then we'll produce 60 Helens I each month, while the Sally production has been augmented up to 40.

Almost ready to start the operation "Hawk", which will give me back the controll of the skies of China.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

The end of Japanese landing bonus for you. I hope you don't have any planned against a defended base.
[center]Image[/center]
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Fighters R&D program

Attachments
Immagine.jpg
Immagine.jpg (405.02 KiB) Viewed 63 times
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

The end of Japanese landing bonus for you. I hope you don't have any planned against a defended base.

No Micheal, not anymore. I lost too much time and now it's time to consider to shift to a defensive posture.

The only bases that i still need to invade is Balikapan and Cocos Island...but i'll wait to have at least 2 divisions fully prepped for those objectives
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

No Micheal, not anymore. I lost too much time and now it's time to consider to shift to a defensive posture.

The only bases that i still need to invade is Balikapan and Cocos Island...but i'll wait to have at least 2 divisions fully prepped for those objectives
Is Cocos Island an atoll? If so, the new stacking limits can play havoc with an invasion if you bring too much to the party. See koniu's post in the War Room section [unless you are DOCUP] tm.asp?m=3170743#

Edited to correct spelling of koniu's name

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Is Cocos Island an atoll? If so, the new stacking limits can play havoc with an invasion if you bring too much to the party. See koniu's post in the War Room section [unless you are DOCUP] tm.asp?m=3170743#

Edited to correct spelling of koniu's name

Thanks mate, i have taken note of what is said there, however it doesn't seem to be consensus on what has caused that distruption.
Think those who believe it hasn't anything to do with overstacking are right. If not, not even the allies would have any chance of taking small atolls, cause you surely cannot land with 6,000 men and hope to dislodge a well dug in company of 6000 infantrymen.

btw, just in case, i'm prepping 2 full divisions, 2 indipendent engineers unit and 1 tank rgt (probably i'll place one more tank rgt).

we'll see... I'm not that convinced, however, that it will be wise to break my horns against Cocos... should have done it way before[:o]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 01-04, 42

Nothing much important happened. We conquered Derby and Broome in Northern Oz and Katherine south of Darwin, inflicting several casualties to the fleeing Australian Army which will probably run all the way till Alice.

Sosarbaja finally fell and now we are able to concentrate on Batavia (where he recently brought in 30 fighters, probably from Luzon).
The 4th division has just arrived in Java and should help finish it out.

Bad news are coming from Burma, where he has statlemated me west of Katha with a huge army. He has also massed 200 bombers at Calcutta and more 200 fighters are ready to run havoc over my troops in Burma... he's also concentrating several strong units north of Akyab near Cox Bazar.... and i have very few supplies and a very tiny air force to counter these moves...

One Guards divisions, along with 25k supplies is moving towards Rangoon, while we're consolidating in the Adamans and in northern Sumatra (already thinking of the inevitable future allied offensives here).

In China he also managed to stop me everywhere. The mongol Army HQ fought his way for a couple of more hexes north, towards Langchow, but then it had to stop, cause the 1st army failed to clear the road north of Sian, achieving several 1-1 and 1-2....

Luckly "hawk" operation is almost ready to start, with nearly 130 crack zeros assembling in the chinese aerodromes. These guys must clear the skies over Central China, in order to wipe out the enemy fighters and so give a chance, to the bomber army, to suppress the enemy stacks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 82,39 (near Sian)

Attacking force 63345 troops, 559 guns, 120 vehicles, Assault Value = 1336

Defending force 38506 troops, 209 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 440

Japanese adjusted assault: 566

Allied adjusted defense: 603

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 [X(]

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1314 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 154 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1993 casualties reported
Squads: 94 destroyed, 147 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Guns lost 46 (2 destroyed, 44 disabled)

Assaulting units:
9th Ind.Mixed Brigade
41st Division
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
37th Division
32nd Division
15th Ind.Mixed Brigade
53rd Infantry Brigade
1st Army
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
30th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
57th Chinese Corps
9th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
57th AT Gun Regiment
36th Group Army
15th Group Army
43rd Chinese Corps
14th Group Army
Jingcha War Area
10th Chinese Base Force

we're finally able to research the Tojo IIa...the first R&D factory is now working...and, in 5 days, we should reach the 500 engine bonus... Let's see.

Helens production will be postponed till the end of April not to interfere with the Ha-34 stockpiling process
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

we'll see... I'm not that convinced, however, that it will be wise to break my horns against Cocos... should have done it way before[:o]

Hi GreyJoy,

I'm a big proponent of BB bombardment. I haven't followed closely what you suspect to be at Cocos Island and whether it's mined or contains CD guns, but a week or two of cycling bombardments, say with 4 BB's, against the base would do wonders causing disruption against those troops defending it. If the forts are high it will reduce the effect, but you can certainly trash things otherwise. Depending on your dispositions and the threat of Allied CV's, I'd really look at just hammering Coco's for a week or two basing from Batavia. If your results are good from the first bombardment, I'd hit it hard for at least a week or two and invade with two back to back bombardments prior to troops landing.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

A 1:2 attack in which you lose 5 squads and the Chinese lose 94 is a decisive Japanese victory.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
veji1

Post by veji1 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

A 1:2 attack in which you lose 5 squads and the Chinese lose 94 is a decisive Japanese victory.

Exactly, you wanna keep attacking there (airbomb a bit as well beforehand) and they will fizzle and break...
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Hi GreyJoy,

I'm a big proponent of BB bombardment. I haven't followed closely what you suspect to be at Cocos Island and whether it's mined or contains CD guns, but a week or two of cycling bombardments, say with 4 BB's, against the base would do wonders causing disruption against those troops defending it. If the forts are high it will reduce the effect, but you can certainly trash things otherwise. Depending on your dispositions and the threat of Allied CV's, I'd really look at just hammering Coco's for a week or two basing from Batavia. If your results are good from the first bombardment, I'd hit it hard for at least a week or two and invade with two back to back bombardments prior to troops landing.

well, i haven't anything that can really recon Cocos at the moment. Only Mavis...but they lack the right skill. However i do believe there are at least 2 units spotted there, for 9500 men.... probably a couple of Bdes...australian or Indian probably.
Yups, bombing runs... i'll do them for sure if i'll decide to get there. I'm keeping a strong naval presence in Malaya... 1 CV, 2 CVLs and 2 CVEs, along with 4 BBs, 3 CAs and 5 CLs.
The alternative idea could be to use Cocos against him... he could be lured to use it for an early advance towards Java or Sumatra...and that could be interesting.

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: veji1

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Exactly, you wanna keep attacking there (airbomb a bit as well beforehand) and they will fizzle and break...

He's bringing fresh units in the area. However i'm already shifting my forces. I have 2 more divisions in reserve and 8 tank units, ready to take the places of the battered units.
I think i'll be able to attack again within the next week.
Anyway, the real game changer will be my air offensive. If i manage to secure the air space, my bombers will do the rest i think.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 05, 42

The enemy launched a new air offensive in northern Burma. not less than 80 fighters (Hurricanes and P-39s) arrive sweeping over Shweebo. Luckly i had just withdrawn the Yamada group that was was bounded to be withdrawn. His B17s arrived again over akyab. Hopefully, in 30/40 days, we'll be able to counter back with the arrival of the KI-44.

Finally Akagi has repaired her sys damage at Rabaul and the KB is ready to move again.

Sucked everything i could from Palembang. Now only 50k fuel are left there... will now be able to focus part of my efforts on shipping oil to Singapore, then, in a couple of months, we'll assemble a great TF that will move everything back to Japan

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

April 6, 1942

One more day of consolidating. One more day suffering the infamous allied bombings in northern Burma. Even the chinese started to bomb our troops using their SB-2!!!!! What an offense! [:)]

Soon, very soon, payback will arrive. Always bring the hammer, right? well, we're bringing it...just give me a week of decent weather in China and Mao and Chang Kai Shek will see what the Empire can do[8D].

Helens will enter into production tomorrow. So we're producing 100 medium bombers monthly for the next months. 40 sallies and 60 Helens.
The KI-48 Ib factory has been converted to the KI-48 IIa. 34 monthly. It has the same pitfull playload (4x100 kg), but it has armour. Slowly i'll create an air army of 100 new Lilies that will be used only to bomb Manila and Clark (don't wanna waste non-armour bombers against heavy flak defended bases).
For the moment, we're massing our bombing groups in China. Hawk operation will see in action 120 zeros, 100 Oscars and 230 Sallies/Helens. Should be enough to break the chinese will to fight in the air.

Can't wait for the Tojos.... can't really wait...

The Helen production will suck 120 Ha-34s. i'm planning to produce at least 120 Tojos monthly. So i'll need 240 Ha34s. i'm not there yet, producing only 214 (40) Ha-34s. I'm planning to bring the monthly production of this engine up to 320, so to be able to use the extra 80 engines to get the R&D bonus for 80 of my R&D Tojo IIb factories. It will take some more months...but my goal is to get the Tojo IIc by 09/1943. Should be doable
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Yes, Those bloody Tojos will give you complete dominance in the sky (except for P38) until mid 43... I hate them! [:)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

The KI-48 Ib factory has been converted to the KI-48 IIa. 34 monthly. It has the same pitfull playload (4x100 kg), but it has armour. Slowly i'll create an air army of 100 new Lilies that will be used only to bomb Manila and Clark (don't wanna waste non-armour bombers against heavy flak defended bases).

Isn't the Ki-48IIa the dive-bombing variant that gets only 2 x 100kg bombs? I may be getting my versions wrong but I remember not wanting to upgrade that factory.

EDIT - It's actually the Ki-48 IIb that is the dive-bomber. My bad.

I had stopped production at this point because of the poor bomb load compared to the Helen and Sally. Good idea to use them on the PI bases. I may be doing the same soon in my game, as that could take a good while to wear down.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 7-10, 42

Horrible weather prevented any air operation in China for the last 3 days. Despite that, we finally had a good news from this theatre.
The 1st Army finally managed to dislodge the enemy concentration on the road north of Sian.
This hex was probably one of the most difficult of the whole map, cause, despite being a mountain terrain (so +3 bonus) it allowed a huge stacking limit of 80,000 men! Probably the best defending solution for the chinese...
Well, we rotated 2 of the 4 divisions that got mauled during the last battles and moved back the exausted mix bdes, bringing in fresh divisions and some tanks. The bombers didn't fly for 3 days in a row but, despite that, we finally managed to achieve a 2-1 getting only a little number of destroyed squads. The enemy suffered nearly 18,000 casualities and the 2 chinese big corps, around which the defences of the hex were built, are no more in fighting conditions.
The enemy has been pushed north, which is good cause it ended up into an hex with very limited stacking limits (40,000), where there were already present more than 25,000 enemy troops...so it will be another huge overstacking and so another huge supply wasting[;)]

Everything is now ready for the operation "hawk"...i just need some decent weather...[&o]

Everywhere else very quiet...we're using this time to build up our defences and reposition our air flottillas (with the hard choices of where to place the very small aviation support we have got).

Ground combat at 82,39 (near Sian)

Attacking force 59742 troops, 547 guns, 335 vehicles, Assault Value = 1481

Defending force 45641 troops, 242 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 566

Japanese adjusted assault: 952

Allied adjusted defense: 439

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1738 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 123 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Allied ground losses:
14732 casualties reported
Squads: 338 destroyed, 127 disabled
Non Combat: 400 destroyed, 37 disabled
Engineers: 12 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 42 (25 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Units retreated 11

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
23rd Tank Regiment
37th Division
35th Division
32nd Division
53rd Infantry Brigade
13th Tank Regiment
41st Division
8th Recon Regiment
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Army
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
42nd Chinese Corps
30th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
9th Chinese Corps
57th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
23rd Chinese Corps
36th Group Army
57th AT Gun Regiment
14th Group Army
Jingcha War Area
10th Chinese Base Force

Attachments
Immagine.jpg
Immagine.jpg (553.22 KiB) Viewed 63 times
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Isn't the Ki-48IIa the dive-bombing variant that gets only 2 x 100kg bombs? I may be getting my versions wrong but I remember not wanting to upgrade that factory.

EDIT - It's actually the Ki-48 IIb that is the dive-bomber. My bad.

I had stopped production at this point because of the poor bomb load compared to the Helen and Sally. Good idea to use them on the PI bases. I may be doing the same soon in my game, as that could take a good while to wear down.

Yup, that one (the Ki-48 IIb) is a real crap!!! The armoured Lily can be usefull imho.

Ok guys, i canj confirm that the engine bonus for the Tojo is kicking in. Still i'm not getting 100% of how it works, but it does work!
Actually i have 2 factories fully repaired researching the Tojo. 1x60 and 1x30. These industries should provide 2 R&D points daily, while, with the recently reached bonus, i'm getting 4 R&D points daily! Very good! It costs me some engines, but it's well worth the effort, imho!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Ok guys, i can confirm that the engine bonus for the Tojo is kicking in. Still i'm not getting 100% of how it works, but it does work!
Actually i have 2 factories fully repaired researching the Tojo. 1x60 and 1x30. These industries should provide 2 R&D points daily, while, with the recently reached bonus, i'm getting 4 R&D points daily! Very good! It costs me some engines, but it's well worth the effort, imho!

You get 3 'developmental points' daily from the factories and 1 for having over 500 engines in your pool. Don't let these two factories go into production and move them to the "B" model for one day before moving them to the "C" model for R&D.
[center]Image[/center]
kjnoel

Post by kjnoel »

I seem to remember you earlier saying you were going to limit R&D advance to 4 months?

If so, you might be putting too much into this. The IIc is due 44/3 so, if you want to limit your advance to 43/11, you only need 400 R&D points; at the current rate of 4 per day that will only take you.....well, 100 days.

You might not be limiting yourself anymore, but if you are you might want to consider whether it's worth maintaining 500 engines in the pool?
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Ok guys, i can confirm that the engine bonus for the Tojo is kicking in. Still i'm not getting 100% of how it works, but it does work!

You get 3 'developmental points' daily from the factories and 1 for having over 500 engines in your pool. Don't let these two factories go into production and move them to the "B" model for one day before moving them to the "C" model for R&D.

Hi Micheal, are u sure a 1x60 R&D factory produces 2 R&D points per day and not one?
It seems so to me...looking at the results i mean

Return to “After Action Reports”