My Hero Has Passed

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

poerr

My Hero Has Passed

Post by poerr »

Hi,

I am a long time reader of this forum, an occasional beta tester, and very infrequent poster here. I just wanted to drop a note to let you all know my uncle, who served with the 136 infantry regiment in the pacific war from 1943-46 passed yesterday suddenly. He was 87. To me he was my hero growing up.

I spent many hours fishing and hunting with my uncle and he would occasionally tell me about his time in the service. He seldom discussed combat. I asked him once if he would consider recording his experiences for the sake of history and for a legacy to generations to follow. He told me quietly that he had worked hard in his life to forget and move beyond the sights, sounds, and memories of that period of his life and did not wish to return to them in detail. I respected that.

One thing he did tell me was how he met my aunt. His sargeant had a sister. When his seargent was killed in combat he said he would look up his family if and when he returned home. He did return home and met his future wife that way. She passed away several years ago.

A year ago, his grandaughter lost her husband, a marine, in Helmond province to a roadside bomb. I remember watching a news clip (I live some distance away from him) and seeing him at the airport to recieve the casket from the marine honor guard. The look on his face was something new to me and I believe I will never forget. There was an emptiness in his eyes and a distance in them. For one who has never served in the armed forces, it made me wonder if this was the price he paid for seeing combat. It made me glad that I did not have to carry that burden.

I have had some time to reflect on his passing since yesterday. I will miss him greatly. He was a unique man and something of a genious when it came to inventions. He never went to college, but did very well for his family. Even in his 80s he could get up and make his way to the deer stand in 20 degree weather in a Michigan snowstorm and hunt like the best of us. I am grateful for his time with me growing up and for what he chose to share about his time in the pacific freely. If you have a relative who has served and is still with us, cherish the time.

Russ
Canoerebel

RE: My Hero Has Passed

Post by Canoerebel »

Poerr, thanks for posting. It's great to hear about men like your uncle. My dad is an 89-year-old WWII vet, so I'm familiar with the memories growing up next to one of those good men who experienced the crucible of war. May your uncle rest in peace and may you have many opportunities to pass along his story to future generations. :)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Very sad news poerr. They were from the best of their generation, and sadly they are getting less each year.

My deepest sympathy, he sounds like he was truly loved till his last day.

Regards
Chris
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

My sympathy to you and your family.

My father is now 90 and his body is failing, but his mind is still sharp. He served flying B-29s from Tinian.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Empire101

Very sad news poerr. They were from the best of their generation, and sadly they are getting less each year.

My deepest sympathy, he sounds like he was truly loved till his last day.

Regards
Chris

Well put, Empire 101.

My sincere respect to your uncle, poerr, for his service and example as a Man.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

RIP. I salute the fallen, and as others have said, it is clear that he was loved by his family. I suspect he knew that you loved him, and I also suspect that is what he wanted most of all.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Many Thanks Poerr, my best to you and your family in this undesirable moment. Also I think your advise is good, my grandfather was a WW ONE vet and I never talked to him about any of it... I missed much, he too was a good and honorable man and given only an 8th grade education, he too did well. Hal
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Very thoughtful post, poerr. Thank you for sharing your Uncle's history with us.
Herrbear

Post by Herrbear »

My sympathy to you and your family.
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Sorry for your loss, poerr. And salutes to your uncle and his grandson-in-law for their service!
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

A nice post. Sorry for your lose. Nothing really to say to help get through the pain other then time. A full life lived always feels like it could be longer.

<3
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

A quiet moment from me.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

R.I.P.
my respect to your uncle, poerr
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

God Speed to your Uncle.&nbsp; My condolences to you and your family for your loss.
Pax
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss.
Make it so!
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

My condolences to you and your family.
whippleofd

Post by whippleofd »

What a great story to honor your uncle.

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Thanks for that, Poerr. May your uncle rest in peace.

Respectfully,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

I do wish you my most sincere condolences. Your uncle sounded like an amazing person. My own experiences with victims of war did not have such great memories attached to them. I think the greatest tribute we can offer to people like this is to make sure that war and fighting is not done needlessly and when necessary, done so judiciously.

/Salute

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
stuman

Post by stuman »

Sorry for your loss. And thank you for sharing.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”