Star Wars Rebellion

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Empire101

Star Wars Rebellion

Post by Empire101 »

Well I'm in between WitP AE campaigns, so I've dug out my old SW Rebellion.

A great strategy game, with lots of faults but it is still one of my favourite games of all time, especially against another human opponent.

While I was playing I thought, 'would'nt it be great if Matrix did their own ( greatly expanded ) version...?'

I can but dream.[8|]

I like Distant Worlds, but this game just keeps pulling me back.

Attachments
Reb1.jpg
Reb1.jpg (146.6 KiB) Viewed 375 times
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

ezzler

RE: Star Wars Rebellion

Post by ezzler »

I was so disappointed with this when it came out. hour after hour of non start action.

Yet i keep thinking of buying a copy of it... It definitely needed a better developer.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I also play it quite alot given the chance and time,but I tend to cheat a bit by using Rebed editor to tweak the game a great deal,cheaper Star Destroyers among a load off other things,means that you are playing a totally new game from the stock version,using the Rebed editor you can change a great many things.[:)]
Make it so!
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

I remember that game was a great fun.
Really would liek to see, new improved version.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: ezz

I was so disappointed with this when it came out. hour after hour of non start action.

Yet i keep thinking of buying a copy of it... It definitely needed a better developer.

You were definitely playing the wrong opponent[;)]
ORIGINAL: doomtrader

I remember that game was a great fun.
Really would like to see, new improved version.

Thats why I started this thread. Empires at War was such a disappointment, the dumbed down version ( in my opinion ), of Rebellion.

Just imagine a similar game with increased PBEM capability and espionage, more ships and vehicles, trading, enhanced R&D, more characters, expanded OOB's etc etc. The list is endless.

Oh well, back to the rubber walled room.................

[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

It was good but had two big issues for me:
- the weaker side always seems to run away until the Interdictor ships (that prevent retreat) appear, when the weaker side get annihilated
- the AI is sooo slow in developing the core worlds that I found I could use minimal effort in the core to slow the AI to a crawl whilst booming development in the rim
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

It was good but had two big issues for me:
- the weaker side always seems to run away until the Interdictor ships (that prevent retreat) appear, when the weaker side get annihilated
- the AI is sooo slow in developing the core worlds that I found I could use minimal effort in the core to slow the AI to a crawl whilst booming development in the rim

I agree, the AI was no match for a half decent human player.

But... ( there is always a 'but')... against a good human opponent, all bets are off.

The two different approaches of the combatants requires two very different strategies, and this was the beauty of the game, no two games against a human were alike.

With all games though, its you that wants to do the kicking, and not end up being the 'weaker' opponent.[8D]

Lets face it, how many games gave you ( as The Empire ) the opportunity to blow up ( with great cut scene's ) a PLANET?

Or as the Rebellion, the ability to destroy a Death Star??

Just to show how exciting the game could be, here is a link to one of my old AAR's ( I always played the Empire hehehe)

http://forums.swrebellion.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=996

Fantastic game.
Attachments
DeathStar.jpg
DeathStar.jpg (4.57 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

This game has to be on my top 10 most disappointing games of all time. I was so much looking forward to it, and then it turned out to be so rancidly awful that it was completely unplayable.

I am surprised there are actually some fans of it.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

This game has to be on my top 10 most disappointing games of all time. I was so much looking forward to it, and then it turned out to be so rancidly awful that it was completely unplayable.

Unplayable? I don't agree at all. Read some of the AAR's to see how immersive and fun the game COULD be when played properly.

It was one of those games you either loved or hated.

Obviously you fall into the latter category.

Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Empire101
ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Unplayable? I don't agree at all. Read some of the AAR's to see how immersive and fun the game COULD be when played properly.

It was one of those games you either loved or hated.

Obviously you fall into the latter category.

Aren't all games either loved or hated?

And I am hardly alone in my opinion. It was universally panned by critics. Gamespot gave it either a 4.0 or 4.5.

The UI was god awful and doing anything in the game took way more clicks than was ever necessary. The game also had some dubious design decisions where information was not easily accessible.

It held such promise but it was just a flawed mess in the end.
mllange

Post by mllange »

I love Rebellion, it is absolutely one of my top 5 favorite games of all time. I remember the panned reviews when it was released, and the struggles with problems early in the release cycle, but once the game 'clicked' for me - it has never left my heart or my hard drive(s). The game conveys a sense of epic scale that games like Gal Civ, SOTS and Distant Worlds have never matched. I suppose it could be considered a flawed mess to some, but there are some that say the same of Tolkien's works, and I still love them the same.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

For the most part players can easily alter nearly everything within the game, using this great freely available little editor REBED that does alot,it's simple to use and very powerful,alter a few things and your playing a new game,that is much more challenging,As the Empire my Tie-Fighter squadrons had 200 fighters in each instead of the stock 20 for example.

Attachments
Rebededitor..jpg
Rebededitor..jpg (206.92 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Make it so!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I had more fun with Empire. Especially with mods.

Guess I'll hve to install it again.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Really I don't think that Matrix and especially any of us developers would be able to afford cost for Star Wars franchise.

Any way IMHO it is a great idea to create similar cross platform game with PBEM++ support.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

For the most part players can easily alter nearly everything within the game, using this great freely available little editor REBED that does alot,it's simple to use and very powerful,alter a few things and your playing a new game,that is much more challenging,As the Empire my Tie-Fighter squadrons had 200 fighters in each instead of the stock 20 for example.

A squadron of 200 Tie Fighters.!!??!![X(]

Now you're talking!![8D]

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

REBED Editor can be downloaded from here if anyone is wanting to try it,along with a host of other goodies for Star Wars Rebellion/Supremacy.

http://www.swrebellion.com/downloads/mo ... ails&lid=1
Make it so!
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

Boy does this bring back memories. This was one of the best gaming experiences I can remember. Not really sure why either. The UI was as cumbersome as any game I have ever played. The AI was not particularly good. But the subject matter was great. And the chance to wield all those legions of storm-troopers, and the Imperial Navy was just amazing.

I distinctly remember having to chase Luke Skywalker from one end of the galaxy to the other, and capturing him at least twice per game, only to have him escape from the prison ship I set specifically for him. Well enough was enough. He's on some distant little turd of a planet on the other side of the galaxy? I'll show him. Off goes the Death Star. That distant little planet is no more, and Luke Skywalker is not a concern for the Empire anymore. Now where did Mon Mothma go?????

MJ

Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Loved this game.

One of the best. You know a game is great when you start playing the hours just melt away and you dont even realize it. I wish they did a remake. The only other game that tops Rebellion is Star Trek: Birth of The Federation, in my opinion. That game to me is one of the best games ever made.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: michael1776

Boy does this bring back memories. This was one of the best gaming experiences I can remember. Not really sure why either. The UI was as cumbersome as any game I have ever played. The AI was not particularly good. But the subject matter was great. And the chance to wield all those legions of storm-troopers, and the Imperial Navy was just amazing.

I distinctly remember having to chase Luke Skywalker from one end of the galaxy to the other, and capturing him at least twice per game, only to have him escape from the prison ship I set specifically for him. Well enough was enough. He's on some distant little turd of a planet on the other side of the galaxy? I'll show him. Off goes the Death Star. That distant little planet is no more, and Luke Skywalker is not a concern for the Empire anymore. Now where did Mon Mothma go?????

MJ
ORIGINATOR: JeanAllTrekkie

Loved this game.

One of the best. You know a game is great when you start playing the hours just melt away and you dont even realize it. I wish they did a remake. The only other game that tops Rebellion is Star Trek: Birth of The Federation, in my opinion. That game to me is one of the best games ever made.

It is a game of epic scale. The AI is not good, the space battle graphics are a bit clunky, the game would crash unexpectedly ( regular saving is a must!! ) and the UI is certainly a bit of a trial.

But games against another human opponent are just fantastic as you say, legions of stormtroopers, Death Squads, Imperial Commando's and loads of espionage droids.

It was the first game for me that really showed how important intelligence gathering really was.
I just play the game on the GameRanger now, as trying to hook up through the game is next to impossible.

Attachments
EmperorPalpatine.jpg
EmperorPalpatine.jpg (5.54 KiB) Viewed 356 times

OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

It was a great game for it's day, clunky yes, flakey yes, poor AI yes but wernt they all, it was still great and I played for untold hours I certainly got my moneys worth out of it. [8D]

It was called star wars supremacy when it was released in the UK.

Played it a lot from either side and spent ages getting it to work with my different windows machines over the years it took a bit to get it to go with win 7. I still fire it up now and again for a little go. [:)]
"Personal isn't the same as important"

Return to “General Discussion”