Construction Ships - are their orders "shared"?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

joeyeti

Construction Ships - are their orders "shared"?

Post by joeyeti »

I do wonder - are orders for Construction Ships individual, or shared?

I mean, when you queue 3 Mining Stations at three planets while having a single Constr. ship, and later you build a second Construction ship (so far only one Mining Station has been built), do you need to give NEW orders to the second ship, or can it "take over" an incomplete and not-started job from the first one?
Joe
WoodMan

RE: Construction Ships - are their orders "shared"?

Post by WoodMan »

They are not shared. When you queue a new mission it will either give it a idle constructor or add it to the queue of the nearest to the location.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Thought so...

I do wonder, if there is a design-decision logic behind it, because for my playstyle I would rather have this "automatable" also, perhaps with a setting...

If "automated", when you build a new Constructor, the AI rearranges the unbuilt projects to lift some burden off the previous ones... And in the end it would be faster than to either wait for the original ships to build everything they had planned, or to cancel the relevant orders and re-queue them between the old and the new ship(s)...

If "manual", the gameplay would be like it is now - when queueing new projets for Constructors, they are distributed between existing ships and when a new Constructor comes, it is only added to the lot when a new project is queued after the ship's addition.
Joe
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

An idle constructor!  Now there's something I've never tried.  [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”