stupid newbie - can't figure how to colonize

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

serg3d1

stupid newbie - can't figure how to colonize

Post by serg3d1 »

Just started playing and can't figure how to make a new colony. Built colony ship, bought location from pirats, what now? In exploration planning window there is no possible colonies, in colony ship menu no build colony option...
Nedrear

RE: stupid newbie - can't figure how to colonize

Post by Nedrear »

It may be part of another empires zone of influence. You need to be at war to defy their territory.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Modest

Post by Modest »

Also, if it is a planet without any population, You must posses a proper technology in order to colonise. Is it a type of planet You should be able to colonise?
szabferi

Post by szabferi »

Use the Expansion Planner (3rd icon on the top as far as I remember), it will reveal you all the possible planets. Then you have the buttons of the bottom of the panel to either build and send a colony ship or send an existing one there.

Overall, you should really consider which planet you will colonize. Bad quality planets and/or planets without useful resources are useless and just eating up valuable resources of your empire. So th expansion planner is invaluable tool to pick your targets.
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

ORIGINAL: szabferi

Bad quality planets and/or planets without useful resources are useless...

Except they are border territory or stepping stones to secure your border towards more useful resources!

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
serg3d1

Post by serg3d1 »

The problem was the potential colony was not visible in Expansion Planner. I just restarted game and can colonize now. Seems was some kind of bug.
szabferi

Post by szabferi »

Well... you right, especially if you play with colonization distance limit settings like me :D

Normally if I need a stepping stone, I just find a gas cloud and build a refuel/repair point there. No need to have a colony to be able to start an invasion.
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

The stepping stone meant increasing your border to connect with the new colony north to make it impossible for the enemy to take anything.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”