Amazing what a little word of mouth will do (and a nice discount!)

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Texashawk

Amazing what a little word of mouth will do (and a nice discount!)

Post by Texashawk »

It's often bothered me that with so many high-profile failures in the 4X genre, such a neat package as DW gets overlooked just because Matrix is considered a specialty developer and their games don't get the same press as a more mainstream publisher. So glad to see the forum back to its old level of activity, and to the newcomers, if you think you've stumbled upon a hidden jewel, you're right! Hidden, that is.

I'd love to see this sale and some positive press really snowball into something great for Matrix and Eliot. Personally, I think DW should be one of Matrix's tentpole series, behind the Grigsby group and perhaps Panther's games. But if you found this game, and you think someone else would love it, don't hesitate to talk about it! Because chances are they've a) never heard of it, b) heard of it but all they heard was "...yeah, but the PRICE!" or c) was scared off by the real-time aspect ("...real 4X gamers measure their success in TURNS!"). Do the game and the genre a favor and clue a buddy in who might like it. You never know...

And welcome to the DW forums!! Good luck out there, it's cold in space! And DON'T turn your back on Data!! [;)]
Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
bryanhbell

RE: Amazing what a little word of mouth will do (and a nice discount!)

Post by bryanhbell »

Three factors that contributed to my purchasing the game last Thursday:

* Space Sector's reviews
* the 33% off sale
* comments on social news site Reddit suggesting the game

Considering that last one, I've created an area on Reddit (a "subreddit") devoted to Distant Worlds:

reddit.com/r/DistantWorlds

I invite anyone interested in spreading the word about this game to help me grow the subreddit by posting and commenting there.

Also, if you use Reddit, talk it up wherever it seems appropriate. Sometimes low-profile games can really catch fire on Reddit's various game subreddits which then get attention from the press.
Bryan H. Bell
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

I've said it all a long PRICE IS KING.

I said it in the 'price hurting sales' thread over and over.

Funny how a 33% sale sees an influx of new blood on the forum, funny that. [:)]
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Welcome everyone, hope you enjoy the game as much as the rest of us. [:)]
PhatFuel

Post by PhatFuel »

Much thanks for the warm welcome DW-vets! And it is what brought me here, "reasonable" pricing via the sale. Do this and more of us will come! [:D] I'm on my break from literally hours of playing and learning DW---LOVE IT!
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Welcome to the forums guys! Good to see increased activity!
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Welcome to the forums guys! Good to see increased activity!

Agreed, nice to see some fresh faces - just what this awesome game deserved! [8D]
malkuth74

Post by malkuth74 »

Glad people are buying this game. The 4X series of gaming has had a few lacklusters releases in the last few years. SOTS2 and LOP have all been huge let downs.

Yet I find myself still playing Distant Worlds and actually enjoying my games instead of pulling my hair out lol.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

It's an awesome game, I tire of every other game but I always come back to DW.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Bleek

It's an awesome game, I tire of every other game but I always come back to DW.

I've said that about the various versions of Civ over the years. I just purchased (and am still downloading) DW, but I already get the feeling that this game will be my new fallback when other games fail me.

Man, can't wait for the DL to finish... Been waiting about 10 days to get this game. Almost there.... [:)]

Winsaucerer

Post by Winsaucerer »

Of my 5 close friends, I am the only one that would buy it at $63. Of those 5, 4 of them would consider it if the price was right - but by a "right" price I mean $20. Anything much more than that for the core game+expansions, and it's just going to be me that purchases it.

Anyway, those 4 aren't guaranteed sales, just saying what it would take for them to consider it :) There's too many games available now that are much cheaper at full price than this game's discounted price.

But I must say, it does look like a promising game. It still has warts that need to ridded, but I like games that lack a bit of balance and in return give a lot of options and details.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

It's a case in point that 3D 'wow-factor' game engines are actually hit and miss for 4X, the DW 2D game engine has so much charm and doesn't lose any immersion as a result.

Of course it needs some tweaks such as slightly better UI graphics and higher rez ships, planets etc - but they are 'nice to haves' and not game breaking. :)

I agree though $60+ is still a fair whack for any game!
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

3D is irrelevant. Gameplay is king.
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

2D is definately more modder friendly and it doesn't detract from the gameplay at all in this style game. A graphics update would be cool, the way weapons and stuff looked in GSB was really nice, and still 2D at least I *think*
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Ex949

Post by Ex949 »

I'm a newbie here, but am excited that I finally found it reasonable to purchase the game. I had read the spacesector review multiple times and was convinced that this was a game that I wanted to play and would enjoy. However, the price at $90 for a two year old game with expansion packs just didn't make any sense. Especially when it looked like you need both expansions to make it a great experience.

Nonetheless, I'm here now. I am convinced there are many people like me out there who have been looking for the next great MOO2 (GalCiv2, and Star Ruler were games that I enjoyed since the days I invaded Antares), but were just ultimately deterred by DW's hefty price tag.

Hope to have many good experiences when I fire up the game.
Cheers!
malkuth74

Post by malkuth74 »

Its simply the best 4X game out there at this point.. And unless other 4X games give the same sheer options we have in Distant Worlds Legends, then nothing will ever beat this game.. Only thing the others can beat the game in is graphics. Thats it.... And well we have 3 new 4X games out there... And they look pretty but play crappy.
benjiro

Post by benjiro »

ORIGINAL: malkuth74

Its simply the best 4X game out there at this point.. And unless other 4X games give the same sheer options we have in Distant Worlds Legends, then nothing will ever beat this game.. Only thing the others can beat the game in is graphics. Thats it.... And well we have 3 new 4X games out there... And they look pretty but play crappy.

Personally for the price tag that the game carries, i am a bit disappointed by the interface.

Even with this discount, we are talking 65€. Yet, a lot of times the interface for me felt very "not-intuitive". The fact that you need to do a LOT of constant zoom in & out, is kind of irritation. Got a explorer vessel out on the map, and you want it to go to a specific location -> Zoom out, find the explorer, zoom slightly in( at max zoom can not select it. Biggest map ). Select it, tell it where to go. Instead of something like: Close Ship of Type "xxxx" move here. Or do this, that ...

There have been plenty of times, where i was looking at a location: Hmmm, i want some defensive base here. Daim, no construction ship, need to select one from the main map, and zoom in again. Or select one from the big interface on the left, but then it can be one, from half a galaxy away.

There are probably shortcuts for it, but for instant stepping into the game, its not exactly polished. Same with a lot of details. A lot of the game feels not personal to me. The Ships are a bunch of components, what looks more like a excel spreadsheet. Research is not exactly nice overview. And to get do some effects, you need to combine multi items. Like the Carrier ( Needs x size ship, needs interceptors, need ... ). Planets & Colonies feel nameless.

Too much things hidden in the menu's also.

I don't know, maybe it takes a lot of time to get into the game, but i do feel somewhat disappointed with the game.

Combined with a interface that looks too much 1990's? Its a impressive game from the features side, but it does not feels "personal" to me. Maybe because there is to much automation on by default?
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

It takes quite a time to get into the game, but when you do, it rewards you...

This is not Endless Space, nor Star Ruler. Those two can fill in the medium-difficulty stage, but DW fills the top stage for me.
Joe

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”