Multiplayer login failure

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

amatteucci

Multiplayer login failure

Post by amatteucci »

When I try to login, I get a message saying. "A new version [1.06.06] is available" (note: I'm using the 1.06.14 beta) then: "Query challenges failure: Error [1]".

What am I supposed to do to resolve this issue? [&:]
Joel Billings

RE: Multiplayer login failure

Post by Joel Billings »

Getting the message re the "newer" version should not impact anything. I don't know what could be causing the error. Are you using the correct login info? If so, unless you get a better idea, you may want to try reinstalling the game.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

Try bypassing the message and try to load the turn...
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

Login information is the same I use for accessing the Slitherine site or to play DCCB.
BTW, I registered using DCCB, could be this be the cause for my impossibility to go on?

Marquo, turn info does not appear. In fact, this is the first time I'm trying server playing instead of PBEM.

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

When you say you registered using DCCB, did you use the serial number from DCCB on the login page? You need to be using the number from WitE and your slitherine username and password.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

When you say you registered using DCCB, did you use the serial number from DCCB on the login page? You need to be using the number from WitE and your slitherine username and password.
No, the serial number in the login screen is that from WitE (BTW, that field is not editable so I couldn't use the serial from another game, even if I wanted).

Eventually I started the new game using PBEM. Thanks anyway for trying to help.
von Beanie

Post by von Beanie »

I've been getting this message every time I log in for at least a year. Just ignore it and try again. It always works the second time.

In a related matter, because of a recent move to a rural area not served by DSL or FIOS, I now have to log in using a 3G MiFi that has a download speed that can vary from 10 kb/sec to as much as 75 kb/sec. Therefore, it can take a few minutes to download a PBEM turn. If the connection fails in that time I get an error message (#99) that the download failed. Usually I just try it again immediately. I may have played over 60 turns so far with this system.

My concern is that I just got my first warning message that I should not reload my turns, and may be cut off from the system for cheating. I have never once reloaded a game turn that was successfully loaded, just the ones that failed and were aborted. Occasionally this also happens when I end my turn. In that case I just send it again.

Is there any way for your check for reloading turns to differentiate a turn that has downloaded properly versus one that has failed, thereby generating an error message? I don't want to be kicked out of the online PBEM system, but it may be inevitable with my wonderfully unstable rural internet connection.
"Military operations are drastically affected by many considerations, one of the most important of which is the geography of the area" Dwight D. Eisenhower
von Beanie

Post by von Beanie »

This morning Slitherine provided the evidence...four downloads of a turn each three minutes apart. The problem is that the first try was the first download of the turn for me, and the others followed immediately at 3 minute intervals. It is pretty obvious that I was having a connection problem at the time (error 99) because no one would download a turn for the first time, and then try to cheat three minutes later by downloading it again. That isn't even enough time for me to figure out where I would want to attack, and in this game I'm the Russian defender in 1941 where attacks are rare to start with, and no advantage is gained via FOW when you are just retreating. Anyway, I trust that multiple downloads of a turn within three or four minutes of a person downloading it for the first time will not be grounds for disbarment from the system.
"Military operations are drastically affected by many considerations, one of the most important of which is the geography of the area" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Return to “Tech Support”