Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

bryanhbell

Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale?

Post by bryanhbell »

I've been a Civilization player for years and decided I'd like to try a 4x space game. I've tried GalCiv2, but it seemed a bit dated and is no longer being developed. I've been looking at the various games in this genre and seeing that the genre seems to be lacking a modern game with adequate depth (that isn't also plagued with bugs). Distant Worlds seemed to fit the bill, but that price! With the 33% off sale, I decided to make a move and bought it with the expansions on Thursday.

Did you just buy Distant Worlds for the first time because of the 33% off sale? If so, sound off here!
Bryan H. Bell
scharmers

RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale?

Post by scharmers »

I did. Veloxi was praising DW on a couple of boards, but the $90+ price tag turned EVERYONE off. Once the sale started, though, I can personally think of at least 5 or 6 people who picked it up, including myself. Matrix is overpriced (which is why I've only picked up Star shatter and CAW from them over the years) and hopefully the new purchases of DW at the lower price point makes them reconsider.

As for DW itself, good lord is this the last game my ADD needs. Thanks, Brian ;)
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Personally, I think the core game should now be at a lower price full stop, same with the first expansion
This will encourage many more people to play the game
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

ORIGINAL: scharmers

I did. Veloxi was praising DW on a couple of boards, but the $90+ price tag turned EVERYONE off. Once the sale started, though, I can personally think of at least 5 or 6 people who picked it up, including myself. Matrix is overpriced (which is why I've only picked up Star shatter and CAW from them over the years) and hopefully the new purchases of DW at the lower price point makes them reconsider.

As for DW itself, good lord is this the last game my ADD needs. Thanks, Brian ;)
Always happy to spread the spacey game love, my friend. Enjoy!! :)
Algoritm

Post by Algoritm »

Did you just buy Distant Worlds for the first time because of the 33% off sale?
Yes

And it was well worth it.
We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.
warwon101

Post by warwon101 »

Just got it myself thanks to reddit, and people recommending the game on sale.

Beyond that Star Rule, Gal Civ 2, endless space 2, sword of the stars were all removed after playing for four hours of distant worlds.

Amazing

WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Ahh, welcome new people! It is good to see new faces... well avatars popping up here in the forum
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

I bought it a couple of days 'before' the sale. Argh!
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Welcome new space cadets! [:D]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
clifford1944

Post by clifford1944 »

Looks like this Thursday I'll be getting it. The boxed edition. I'm hoping for a lot of planets to explore.
A little time on the Eastern Front will clear his head. General Burkhalter
omphaloskepsis

Post by omphaloskepsis »

I did, but it was by accident. I just happened to read the glowing spacesector review a few days ago. I might have paid full price. Don't know for sure because I've never paid more than $60 for a game before, but I've been craving a good space strategy game.

If it's close to as good as that review, it's probably worth $90.
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

The Space Sector reviews were the major impetus for me purchasing the game as well.
Bryan H. Bell
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

You all who just bought the game might want to go on youtube and checkout this guys videos, I think they are really well done. In fact just after I bought DW in the beginning I had a difficult time with it's learning curve until I watched a couple of these then it all made a lot more sense... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WNB5YqVCtE&feature=plcp
-Warspite3-
Robik

Post by Robik »

I did.

I waited for sale, becouse i could not justify silly high price + 20% VAT on top of it.
oogs

Post by oogs »

I bought it because of a "Let's Play" I saw, however the sale did make it easier. I don't know if I would have bought it at $90.
Voknaar

Post by Voknaar »

I fell in love with the game after watching some gameplay on youtube. I've wanted Distant Worlds for a good month or two now. The sale is what stopped my cyber-lazyness and got me to go through with getting it done. But now it's time to go to lurker mode and read every forum thread. Because I've no idea of what I'm doing in this game...
PhatFuel

Post by PhatFuel »

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell
Did you just buy Distant Worlds for the first time because of the 33% off sale? If so, sound off here!

That I did---there was no way I was going to purchase all three games as a bundle for $90 where the main game is still priced the same as 2.5yrs ago when released. Sheesh! [X(]SMH Thankful to vigilant, friendly members of the "space-game" genre community--Veloxi et al, I would have missed out on this NEEDED sale. I sure hope Matrix hears this yet again that the positive response to this sale is huge. As niche as this may be, there's lots more of us out there fans of the 4x who are looking for reasonable pricing to great games. And so far, I love DW--the series.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome from the main DW forum community---you veterans rock! And to Matrix, THANK YOU for the sale! But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, seriously consider cancelling the sale and making the pricing for the complete DW series at the $60 mark permanent! I think you wont regret it. [;)]
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
CypherLH

Post by CypherLH »

The spacesector review and the 33% sale hooked me. And thank goodness, DW is by far and away the BEST space 4x game I have played, period. And I say this as a big MOO2 fan who still has MOO2 installed.

I am excited that the development is still so active. Does anyone know if more expansions are planned? Seems like there are still plenty of U/I enhancements and features that could be added. If this game had the tactical formations, visual ship customization with arcs of fire and shield facings, and tiled planetary surfaces similar to what the Stardrive beta is showing...I might fall into this game and never emerge ;)

Cypher
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: CypherLH

The spacesector review and the 33% sale hooked me. And thank goodness, DW is by far and away the BEST space 4x game I have played, period. And I say this as a big MOO2 fan who still has MOO2 installed.

I am excited that the development is still so active. Does anyone know if more expansions are planned? Seems like there are still plenty of U/I enhancements and features that could be added. If this game had the tactical formations, visual ship customization with arcs of fire and shield facings, and tiled planetary surfaces similar to what the Stardrive beta is showing...I might fall into this game and never emerge ;)

A third expansion is due in the coming months, supposedly some news next month. [:)]
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Isegrimm

Post by Isegrimm »

I purchased it yesterday. [:)] And resistance is futile ... [:D] I'm addicted and assimilated in Legends. We are Legends.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”