Bought It

Strategic War in Europe is a grand strategy game where you command one or more of the 25 countries in the game. War, diplomacy, technological progress, recruitment, conquest – this is all in your hands. There are no restrictions to the actions you can perform during your turn: unit movement, purchase, attack, technology investment, reinforcement, all of those can be done at any moment during the turn.

Moderator: doomtrader

Tac2i

Bought It

Post by Tac2i »

With the brief look at it that I've had, I think that I can say I'm going to like it. Might be a game that I can use to introduce wargaming to my young nephews (if I can can break them away from the style of gaming they are accustomed to). Can't beat the price tag of $15!
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Titanwarrior89

RE: Bought It

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Does it have a campaign for the entire war-1939-1945?  It says 6 scenarios to  44'.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Based on what I see on the scenario selection screen, all six scenarios play to June 1945. There are six starting dates: 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943 and 1945.
ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Does it have a campaign for the entire war-1939-1945?  It says 6 scenarios to  44'.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

With the brief look at it that I've had, I think that I can say I'm going to like it. Might be a game that I can use to introduce wargaming to my young nephews (if I can can break them away from the style of gaming they are accustomed to). Can't beat the price tag of $15!

This is what we have planned Strategic War in Europe to be:
1. An introduction for those who never played a serious strategy game
2. A quick break for those who usually play huge games - like Time of Fury - and would like to have a smaller title in the collection
3. Competent strategy game, but on a smaller scale for those who haven't got much time
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Morning all, brand new on these forums, but post a little bit on the Panzercorps forums at SLitherine.

Anyway, straight in as it were, I'm fairly new to PC strategy games with PanzerCorp being the first one I've tried having stumbled across it by mistake (I didnt know these games existed!).

So I'm going to carry on playing PZ as I love it, but I'm also looking to have a go at a campaign style game but am wondering at what level to jump in. I've been lurking on these forums for a few months and uming and aaring about War in the East but keep thinking it might be a bit much. Then along came Case Blue which has had my finger hovering near the buy it button...and now this.

To get the download in the UK it looks awfully cheap and the look and feel of it seems fairly straightforward, so could this be the type of game I'm looking for as an introduction? In my youth I used to play a lot of boardgames, but I was more of a Russian Front/Third Reich type of person, enough to give a good flavour of the war, but without getting too bogged down in intricacies (I played World in Flames once against myself for about 4 months and then abandoned it as my house mates wanted the room back!).

Sorry for the long first post, but wanted to give some kind of background against which I'm asking for advice on whether this is for me.

EDIT: I'm more interested in games against the AI and hotseat games rather than PBEM.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

There can be over 20 players in hotseat mode ;)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Welcome to the Matrix Games forums! For your first campaign style game I think Strategic War in Europe would be a great place to start and the price point makes it an even sweeter deal.

By the way I once had SPI's War in Europe set up in my workshop/storage shed. Wasn't much room left to do anything else. I also still have a copy of World in Flames in my old board games collection.

Down the road you might like to try PBEM, or as it has lately become for many gamers, PBDB (Play by DropBox). The thing about PBEM is that you can take your time and aren't under the time pressure of an online real-time game. At my age I appreciate slow and easy!

One last thing, you might like to check out Advanced Tactics Gold from Matrix Games. I've been playing this "classic" for about five years.
ORIGINAL: Bonners

Morning all, brand new on these forums, but post a little bit on the Panzercorps forums at SLitherine.

Anyway, straight in as it were, I'm fairly new to PC strategy games with PanzerCorp being the first one I've tried having stumbled across it by mistake (I didnt know these games existed!).

So I'm going to carry on playing PZ as I love it, but I'm also looking to have a go at a campaign style game but am wondering at what level to jump in. I've been lurking on these forums for a few months and uming and aaring about War in the East but keep thinking it might be a bit much. Then along came Case Blue which has had my finger hovering near the buy it button...and now this.

To get the download in the UK it looks awfully cheap and the look and feel of it seems fairly straightforward, so could this be the type of game I'm looking for as an introduction? In my youth I used to play a lot of boardgames, but I was more of a Russian Front/Third Reich type of person, enough to give a good flavour of the war, but without getting too bogged down in intricacies (I played World in Flames once against myself for about 4 months and then abandoned it as my house mates wanted the room back!).

Sorry for the long first post, but wanted to give some kind of background against which I'm asking for advice on whether this is for me.

EDIT: I'm more interested in games against the AI and hotseat games rather than PBEM.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

re 1 - excellent!

re 2 - quick breaks are good. As I move in to my senior years I'm liking things simpler.

re 3 - for me, this a good thing as my gaming time is limited.
ORIGINAL: doomtrader

This is what we have planned Strategic War in Europe to be:
1. An introduction for those who never played a serious strategy game
2. A quick break for those who usually play huge games - like Time of Fury - and would like to have a smaller title in the collection
3. Competent strategy game, but on a smaller scale for those who haven't got much time
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Welcome to the Matrix Games forums! For your first campaign style game I think Strategic War in Europe would be a great place to start and the price point makes it an even sweeter deal.

By the way I once had SPI's War in Europe set up in my workshop/storage shed. Wasn't much room left to do anything else. I also still have a copy of World in Flames in my old board games collection.

Down the road you might like to try PBEM, or as it has lately become for many gamers, PBDB (Play by DropBox). The thing about PBEM is that you can take your time and aren't under the time pressure of an online real-time game. At my age I appreciate slow and easy!

One last thing, you might like to check out Advanced Tactics Gold from Matrix Games. I've been playing this "classic" for about five years.

Cheers for the reply, I reckon I may go for this as an easier introduction to longer campaigns. I'll let you know how I get on after I've played it for a few days. Keep thinking about PBEM games, maybe one day, but one step at a time!
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks Webizen[;)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
ricodc

Post by ricodc »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

yes just finished one play through as Allies. Controlling uk france. Whent well till Russians collapsed in 43.[:@]
kvob

Post by kvob »

I've played through a few turns of the 1941 scenario. It's not too unwieldy and I don't feel overwhelmed when faced with the game screen (I often do feel overwhelmed with some of the monster games). I think I'm going to enjoy this one.
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

I've played 44 all the way through as Germans, won pretty easily. It wasn't till the last turn that the Russians took Romania, I pushed the Western Allies back to Cherborg but couldn't take it. Italy was held and Rome retaken, several Allied units cut off and destroyed.

In the 41 Campaign as the Germans I took Moscow in November twice, Leningrad was also easy. Seems like the Russians don't have enough reserves or something. In Africa on the other hand I've had my Germans destroyed both times.
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
ricodc

Post by ricodc »

Im now on my second play through, took more control this time. Also starting to use the diplomacy and sort my own convoys supply etc. Still using the Allies again but this time taken control of usa as well. Think 4 player PBEM could be fun
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

After finishing up WITP AE, I decided to jump into something new - my questions are does anyone have any tips for this game so far?

I am thinking of starting out as Germany or Possible Britain - just to get some knowledge on the game.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

Return to “Strategic War in Europe”