Bridges

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

helm123456789

Bridges

Post by helm123456789 »

Tell Me about bridges and their impact on movement. Can bridges be blown and are large rivers only passable over bridges?

LiquidSky

RE: Bridges

Post by LiquidSky »

Bridges are an ancient invention used for people to cross deep indentations, gullies, rivers and other obstacles. They can be made of wood, stone, or in more modern times..steel. Their impact on movement is quite pronounced as it allows you to go from one side.....to the other...

Bridges can be blown, either by aircraft, or by artillery.

Large rivers are passable by aircraft, artillery shells, and any unit that doesnt mind getting a little wet. Their trucks carrying supply are afraid of the water, though.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

lol

Engineers are the best units for blowing and repairing bridges. crossing a river without a bridge costs more Action Points. you also have to think about crossing a river without a bridge in terms of supply: there's a supply shortage to be expected and this could really hurt if you expect your ennemy to counterattack next turn.
rominet

Post by rominet »

It doesn't seem very easy to blow a bridge with aircraft or artillery.
I just see it once on Kharkov scenario where i concentrate all my german air units on the same target.
I have watched an AAR (i don't remenber who's) where the german player was blowing russian bridges very easily. I wonder how he was performing it.
And i never saw a bridge blowed by artillery only.
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

ORIGINAL: rominet

It doesn't seem very easy to blow a bridge with aircraft or artillery.
I just see it once on Kharkov scenario where i concentrate all my german air units on the same target.
I have watched an AAR (i don't remenber who's) where the german player was blowing russian bridges very easily. I wonder how he was performing it.
And i never saw a bridge blowed by artillery only.

We probably me...and it was not easy but it was mostly luck. I got 5 but i missed 3. The more PP you throw at a bridge the greater the chance it will blow.
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
helm123456789

Post by helm123456789 »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Bridges are an ancient invention used for people to cross deep indentations, gullies, rivers and other obstacles. They can be made of wood, stone, or in more modern times..steel. Their impact on movement is quite pronounced as it allows you to go from one side.....to the other...

Large rivers are passable by aircraft, artillery shells, and any unit that doesnt mind getting a little wet. Their trucks carrying supply are afraid of the water, though.

Should have expected I'd get the funny guy to reply first.

So taking down the bridges won't stop the enemy from falling back when trapped on the wrong side or an advance coming across the river. I'm assuming the increase in points to cross is just an abstract of pontoon bridges, boats and fording. Was hoping to hear that some rivers are considered passable only via bridges or pontoon operations that take time like bridge repair at least for heavy units. So the primary effects of a down bridge are increased fording cost of the river and limited supplies?

Thanks
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

yes thats right and the AP cross is also depending on the river type and unit type. armor will not cross certain rivers without a bridge or only if lots of AP are at hand.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

The hard part is trying to find an Engineer Unit when you want one!!!
Tony
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

In fact, there should be many more Engineer units in the game, even if we only confine ourselves to Independent Engineer units of Battalion level and above ... and if we add in Independent Engineer units that are not specifically Bridge Engineers, there should be even more.

The OOB and TO&E I am working on in conjunction with Ritterkrieg will have more.

"Real soon now" as they say in the software industry!

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

ORIGINAL: helm123456789

Should have expected I'd get the funny guy to reply first.

So taking down the bridges won't stop the enemy from falling back when trapped on the wrong side or an advance coming across the river. I'm assuming the increase in points to cross is just an abstract of pontoon bridges, boats and fording. Was hoping to hear that some rivers are considered passable only via bridges or pontoon operations that take time like bridge repair at least for heavy units. So the primary effects of a down bridge are increased fording cost of the river and limited supplies?

Thanks

It's one rulevar you would mod in the editor if you wanted to simulate the ability to only cross a river with no heavy equipment. Then bridges become much more vital :)
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

A Bridge is also a technique used in dentistry, I believe, by which adjacent healthy teeth are employed to support a weaker tooth. Something along those lines. Unless you are Konstantin Rokossovsky, in which case it's too late for a dentist's bridge and the river-crossing bridge is the only one of relevance.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

you just made me google Konstantin Rokossovsky, great story. what a sick place the Sovietunion was under Stalin
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: Keunert

you just made me google Konstantin Rokossovsky, great story. what a sick place the Sovietunion was under Stalin

Did it tell you what Stalin said to him when he was brought back from 'Siberia' to take command of a Front in the emergency of 1941? "Rokossovsky, where have you been? And what happened to your teeth?" Funny guy that Stalin.
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

A Groucho Marx type this Stalin, but with black humor?

It said nothing about that, but it did tell how he insisted to make a pincer attack in Operation Bagration three times against Stalin's proposal. I never read something similiar about a german general and this guy did it even though he knew what could happen... chapeau!
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Did it tell you what Stalin said to him when he was brought back from 'Siberia' to take command of a Front in the emergency of 1941? "Rokossovsky, where have you been? And what happened to your teeth?" Funny guy that Stalin.

Not sure about that quote but I have seen in a number of books that Stalin said, on seeing him after his release after at a meeting, "Where have you been?"

"In prison."

"You picked a fine time to be sitting around in prison."

A chilling guy to be around.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

A Groucho Marx type this Stalin, but with black humor?

It said nothing about that, but it did tell how he insisted to make a pincer attack in Operation Bagration three times against Stalin's proposal. I never read something similiar about a german general and this guy did it even though he knew what could happen... chapeau!

Stalin did take advice and even direct refusals from Generals he respected. Once he had removed those he considered incompetent, many of the leading Soviet commanders stayed in their posts for the duration of the war. The turnover rate in the Wehrmacht was probably much higher at the most senior levels.

Having said that, being fired by the STAVKA probably meant a death sentence more frequently than was the case for German senior commanders. Most of the latter survived, or so my reading would suggest.
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

i read the great novel 'Life&Destiny' by the russian army journalist and chemist Wassili Grossman. he describes life during war and Stalin from different perspectives (civilians, academics, soldiers...) and one thing that really struck me was Stalins unpredictable terror. The 3rd Reich was a lot more predictable and i guess if you weren't part of a race or minority that the Führer chose to annihilate and if you were able to shut up life was pretty safe. this was not the case in the Soviet Union, everybody was a possible candidate for interrogation and prison.

As far as i know only very few german generals died because of the regime: most of them were connected or it was believed they were with the attempted killing of Hitler. Rommel is an exception.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I watched a movie about Stalin, and during the first week of Barbarossa, he was berating STAVKA telling them to attack the Germans everywhere to drive them into Poland when one of the Marshals gets mad and yells at Stalin, saying how it is all his fault, for trusting the Germans.....after which Stalin goes into a deep funk for a week. When they cautiously open the door to see if he is okay, Stalin looks up at the Marshal and says: Why havent you been shot? The Marshall replies that nobody wanted to give the order without Stalin's approval.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

In the Documentary "Russia's War: Blood on the Snow" they interviewed a guard from Stalin's Dacha who, so it seems, told a similar story ... Stalin had retreated there in a blue funk and when, finally, a bunch of Officers rolled up in a Staff Car to beg him to come back to STAVKA, well, he muttered something about being worried they'd come to shoot *him*.

And, of course, when he suffered his fatal stroke, the guards at the Kremlin were afraid to call the Doctors to look at him, laying on a couch, drooling, evidently, because, if they were wrong, well ... Siberia beckons ... as it was, by the time medical treatment was called the next morning, it was too late to do anything (and probably would have been anyway) ... reps like Stalin's can be a two edged sword

[:D][X(][:-]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”