Soviet Infantry Brigades + Corps Buildout Schedule

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

hfarrish

Soviet Infantry Brigades + Corps Buildout Schedule

Post by hfarrish »

As with most of my questions, I preface this with the statement that I am sure guidance exists somewhere on the board...but given the difficulty of searching I ask the following:

What do Red Army players generally do with the horde of infantry brigades? My situation is as follows (its in the Pelton/hfarrish AAR): I have a massive Red Army during the blizzard (north of 6M)and thus really don't need infantry brigades in any meaningful sense to sustain the offensive - I have tons of strong divisions that are not even on the front but rather refitting.

What I am doing so far is simply using the brigades to preserve/build defensive lines in the rear as my divisions move forward; my thinking is that this will represent a good fall back line for the inevitable spring offensive. Is this viable? Not? Should I ditch the brigades by merging them into frontline units? Just curious what common Soviet practice is.
Seminole

RE: Sov Infantry Brigades

Post by Seminole »

In my experience inf bdes aren't much good for digging in and of themselves, but can keep the snow out of the trenches if you've already got fort lines you're moving forward from.

I like to use them (together with tank bdes) during blizzard to keep contact with the enemy for higher attrition, and because they lose a lot fewer men when bounced by a counter attack than a rifle division. This lets my rifle divisions get more replacements, supplies, and rest than if they had to maintain contact with the enemy each week during the blizzard.

I also use them exclusively with a pair of divisions to form corps.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

i use them in refit modus (60%) in the rear to keep the fort levels up. this way they also can train and get a better moral&xp. in spring 42 i can merge them into relativly high moral divisions which can be used to:

1) replace more strong divisions at the front so the better divisions can rest in the rear area of become reserve troops.
2)keep them training to build rifle corps units with them.

or i just use the brigades in desperate situations to delay enemy advance.

depends on loses, how many good formations i have at the front and how much pressure the axis player generates.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

My developing theory for 42 is that I will use brigades as a 1-2 line front with strong divisions forming the third line. I have a hard time seeing any panzer offensive breaking that wide open; I don't really see the advantage of eliminating counters unless you absolutely have to. In my current situation of course I am blessed with a massive army even in 41 - it would be different if I didn't have that to play with
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I turn all of them into divisions in May of 42.

Don't merge them into existing units if you can possibly avoid it. This is a fairly desperate expedient that will ultimately result in a weaker Red Army. There's something like 75 rifle division equivalents here, and that's going to be your strategic reserve in 1942.

So far as the blizzard goes, I leave them in a depleted state and put none of them on refits until February. Shells will remain as shells. All replacements are focused on divisional units. When the blizzard winds down in February then you can start fleshing these out and probably will have to rush some of them forward to thicken the front lines and add depth to them.

They can also be used to prevent fort decay. They cannot be relied on to dig new forts in inclement weather without massive engineering support...not worth the bother.

So far as rifle corps go: use 3 divisions. There is no point in building a handful of weak rifle corps. You shouldn't build many of these in 1942, and the ones you do build should be made as strong as possible and overstrength. You shouldn't even have any brigades left by June.
WitE Alpha Tester
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

My developing theory for 42 is that I will use brigades as a 1-2 line front with strong divisions forming the third line. I have a hard time seeing any panzer offensive breaking that wide open; I don't really see the advantage of eliminating counters unless you absolutely have to. In my current situation of course I am blessed with a massive army even in 41 - it would be different if I didn't have that to play with

That's just a chewy toy for the Germans I'm afraid.

Rifle brigades suck. They will not stop or even seriously slow down any real opposition. Their best use -- if you have to have them at all, and I get rid of all them ASAP -- is exactly the opposite of your proposed doctrine -- place them in the rear in reserve. They have a better chance to activate than divisions. But I say just replace them with divisions and be done with them. They're junk.
WitE Alpha Tester
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish
My developing theory for 42 is that I will use brigades as a 1-2 line front with strong divisions forming the third line. I have a hard time seeing any panzer offensive breaking that wide open;

I think you're in for a rude awakening if you're relying on something like that to stop the panzers, regardless of fort levels. By all means build such a line, but don't think it will stop the panzers or even slow them down that much, and keep strong reserves.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

So far as rifle corps go: use 3 divisions. There is no point in building a handful of weak rifle corps.

Ultimately the TOE is no different if you use 3 divs or 2 divs and 1 bde.
But I think your method (combining bdes to divs, then making corps from divs) creates a weaker army.

e.g. I have 372 divs and 114 bdes
If I combine the bdes to form divs I will have 429 divs, which can form 143 corps.
If I use the bdes to make corps I can ultimately form 162 corps from the same units. The AP cost for you to create the additional 19 rifle corps to 'catch up' is not insignificant.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

The early TOE sucks, and using 3 rifle divisions allows you to exceed that.

Building rifle corps in 1942 is not AP efficient to begin with. If you have to build them, build them strong and make the expense count. You can get a double digit corps this way early on, not so much with a rifle brigade mixed in.

If I'm feeling cheap, I'm not going to dilute their strength with a brigade...I'll simply not build them at all. Rifle brigades mixed into rifle corps is a classic example of false economy imo. You either need them and hang the expense, or you don't.

WitE Alpha Tester
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

The early TOE sucks, and using 3 rifle divisions allows you to exceed that.
Building rifle corps in 1942 is not AP efficient to begin with.

I would only build Guards Rifle Corps in '42.
You can exceed the corps TOE with 2 divs and 1 bde as well, but that's not going to last long after contact with the enemy anyway. You don't get to keep the unit at 150% TOE forever just because you burned a division instead of a brigade to originally form the unit.
Rifle brigades mixed into rifle corps is a classic example of false economy imo. You either need them and hang the expense, or you don't.

To build the 19 rifle corps to 'catch up' in the example taken from my OOB it will cost you an extra 760 AP. That's 3 months worth...
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Where are you getting this 760 AP figure?

Look. I build a half dozen or so rifle corps in 1942. It's a very limited and situational thing, mass builds don't work. By 1943 my rifle brigades are long gone. (They are indeed gone in May of 1942) I'm not going to hold on to them until 1943 in order to realize some spurious and theoretical AP savings. You need rifle divisions in 1942, and lots of them. They are the backbone of the Red Army at this point. You can get up 75 rifle divisions out of these rifle brigades or so. That's no joke and they are far more effective at digging, defending and attacking than a brigade.

WitE Alpha Tester
76mm

Post by 76mm »

While I understand that the 42 Rifle Corp TOE is kinda weak, I have a hard time understanding why people avoid building a fair number of them.

In 1942 the Sovs need something that can punch back against the panzers (from a reserve position), and rifle/cavalry corps, and a fair number of them at that, are the only things that can do that.

While there are many uses of APs in 42, there are a limited number of rifle or other divs that you can build for manpower/AP reasons, so why not build some rifle corps? Unless someone convinces me otherwise I plan to build a couple dozen.
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

I also like to have at least 10 of the Blighters to use in the 'main sector'
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

While I understand that the 42 Rifle Corp TOE is kinda weak, I have a hard time understanding why people avoid building a fair number of them.

In 1942 the Sovs need something that can punch back against the panzers (from a reserve position), and rifle/cavalry corps, and a fair number of them at that, are the only things that can do that.

While there are many uses of APs in 42, there are a limited number of rifle or other divs that you can build for manpower/AP reasons, so why not build some rifle corps? Unless someone convinces me otherwise I plan to build a couple dozen.

They have a lot of problems in 1942.

They are too slow. They are too expensive. They are too weak. They cost a fortune to reassign. At 20 APs/corp, you're not getting value for your money. I can understand purchasing a limited number of them, say, to hold Moscow or some such thing. But the 150 Rifle Corps Red Army of your dreams has to wait until 1943.

I've seen what happens when people take the plunge with them too early: they get spanked. Rifle Corps just are not, by and large, a defensive tool of war. Indeed, building lots of them prematurely weakens your defense, because it will thin out your line too much and remove depth. And the lack of reassignment flexibility is bad for defense as well.

What I wonder is this: why do so many people buy so few tank corps? This is the real mystery. And when they do buy them, they misuse them. The Soviets need mobility badly. Defensive mobility is what's going to save you from the panzers, not rifle corps.

Rifle Corps on reserve mode have a poor chance of reacting, by the way. You are much much better off with their rifle division equivalents for this.
WitE Alpha Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Flav - agreed on Tk Cps. I try to get to my maximum war number of them in 42 if I can. I always keep them in reserve and behind the front lines to act as a fire fighting force.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
They are too slow. They are too expensive. They are too weak. They cost a fortune to reassign. At 20 APs/corp, you're not getting value for your money. I can understand purchasing a limited number of them, say, to hold Moscow or some such thing. But the 150 Rifle Corps Red Army of your dreams has to wait until 1943.
Of course no one should build 150 in 1942, if nothing else you would denude your whole front of rifle divisions. But the flaws you mention are vs an ideal solution, whereas if you don't build rifle corps all you have are the pathetically weak rifle divs, which more likely than not will get chewed up by the panzers if you try to use them to stop a breakthrough. Like many of the choices for Sov players in this game, I would say that the only thing worse than building rifle corps in 1942 is...not building them. But I'm talking about a couple dozen, not 150!
I've seen what happens when people take the plunge with them too early: they get spanked. Rifle Corps just are not, by and large, a defensive tool of war. Indeed, building lots of them prematurely weakens your defense, because it will thin out your line too much and remove depth. And the lack of reassignment flexibility is bad for defense as well.
Agreed, they should be used solely in behind the front reserves or maybe to hold Moscow.
What I wonder is this: why do so many people buy so few tank corps? This is the real mystery. And when they do buy them, they misuse them. The Soviets need mobility badly. Defensive mobility is what's going to save you from the panzers, not rifle corps.
This is true, but tank corps alone are not enough in my view.
Rifle Corps on reserve mode have a poor chance of reacting, by the way. You are much much better off with their rifle division equivalents for this.
Sure, you don't keep them in reserve mode, but in reserve armies or fronts on key sectors of the front.

I don't understand your hate for the poor unappreciated rifle corps!
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Where are you getting this 760 AP figure?

With the OOB I mentioned earlier (what I should have by August of '42 in my current game) your method will provide me 19 fewer rifle corps (ultimately, not by August '42).
To 'recover' that missing 19 rifle corps (with your preferred 3 div build) you'd have to pay (3x10x19)+(10x19)=760.
You could choose to not pay it and have a 'weaker' army from the same OOB if you wanted.
They are too slow. They are too expensive. They are too weak. They cost a fortune to reassign.

I sit them behind my lines, and with 16MP they move well enough behind friendly lines to reach the point of battle and participate in a deliberate attack. I don't bother building regular corps in '42, but the guards corps (with an avg 50% better morale) hit much harder than tank corps (with the exp. hit they take) can in '42 when the Germans start rolling again.
I have typically assigned these guards rifle corps to Voronezh Front and use it as a strategic reserve. I don't re-assign the corps, too expensive. And that's really a separate discussion from making the best use of inf bde anyway.
The math is plain - your method builds a smaller Red Army. Some folks may be fine with that, we're simply presenting the options.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

As it is now, Guard Corps (42 a & b kind) have a smaller TOE than the corresponding regular have. I don't understand where the 50% better morale comes from - it's NM 55 vs. NM 45 during '42 at least.

In any case, it is possible to stuff an Infantry Corps by breaking it down, have the component divisions grow to full strength and then recombine. They will take exp hits if the intake of men is large.

Infantry Brigades are best used as ½ division building blocks.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Seminole, my math is simple: it will build a 150 rifle corps Red Army. This is surely enough. I don't need to use brigades to achieve this. What I need is 450 rifle divisions. By flipping over the rifle brigades to divisions, I can achieve that target, and at the same I also get a useful unit in the interim (a rifle division) as opposed to silly ant (a rifle brigade.)

I do not hate rifle corps. I love them...in 1943 and after the 42c TOE, and paired with lots of artillery divisions, which cannot be built before October of 1942. 1942 is not their time and not their prime.

WitE Alpha Tester
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

As it is now, Guard Corps (42 a & b kind) have a smaller TOE than the corresponding regular have.

Guards Corps have roughly 20-25% smaller TOE (good or bad depending on your pool situation). I always leave them on refit and behind the line, so getting them to 'oversize' to 125% is common in my experience.
I don't understand where the 50% better morale comes from - it's NM 55 vs. NM 45 during '42 at least.

After the blizzard my units that have achieved Guards tend to be closer to 60 morale, and the average of those that have not closer to 40. When the blizzard winds down I put the Guards on digging duty in the rear (10+ hexes from the front line) to refit, train exp. and build morale (if possible).
The way that morale and exp. factor into combat power puts the Guards rifle corps at a distinct advantage, irrespective of official TOE, in my experience.
Infantry Brigades are best used as ½ division building blocks.

'Best' is entirely situational.
I'm merely giving the pros and cons of each approach. If you think it is always 'best' to have a smaller army, or pay hundreds more AP to have the same size army your definition of 'best' may differ from another player (particularly in another circumstance).

Return to “The War Room”