Case Blue (long) GERMAN Major Victory!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Vic

dmixer

Case Blue (long) GERMAN Major Victory!

Post by dmixer »

Mid January, German Sudden Death Major Victory with the capture of Stalingrad and Baku.

The ruskies were starting to pile up and push hard in the east, but they lost heart and surrendered when Baku fell to a desperate German push south.

Attachments
win.jpg
win.jpg (256.01 KiB) Viewed 267 times
dmixer

RE: Case Blue (long) GERMAN Major Victory!

Post by dmixer »

German casualties were heavy at first, but then I got the hang of the encircle and destroy attack.

Attachments
Wincas.jpg
Wincas.jpg (225.97 KiB) Viewed 266 times
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

The Germans ground out a lot of casualties the first month beating their helmets against the Russian line with it's seemingly never ending reinforcements, many a German soldier was lost as the Russian lines closed back around German attacks.

The line at Rostov proved too tough a nut to crack, and in fact was only broken when the German forces finally achieved a breakthrough in the middle of the battle lines and swept south to encircle and cut off the Rostov defenders. LOTS, and I mean, LOTS of brave German soldiers died in those hexes east of Taganrog.

Once the chase was on, unit and HQ cohesion just fell apart. It was attack, attack, attack, with units racing forward where ever a hole appeared in the Russian line. By the end, HQs were scattered to the winds with units ALL over the map. (A fact that I'm not proud of, as it seems like poor generalmanship.. err.. generaling... well, you get the point)

The Russians had recovered and had stopped their retreat about mid December. New troops were pouring in and while the Germans were able to put up an aggressive defense, by the end of December the Russian hoard was too strong and the Germans were falling back. They maintained good order in the line, and occasionally were able to cut off and destroy Russian probing attacks, but the jig was up.

Just as the Russian counter attack slammed into the German line, Baku fell to a 'hail mary' German attack made up of scrapped together forces.

The Russians surrendered and General Mixer retired to life of victory parades and endorsement deals.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Congrats! Sounds like an exciting game. Would love to see more screenshots if you get the time. :)
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

congratulation! lots of drama.
it looks like german losses were high from
the beginning. my guess was that the casualty rate should be
somewhere to 4:1 in favour of the Axis. you achieved something
between 2:1 or 3:1. i wonder why the losses are so high and why
you still managed to push them that far east?
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

Early on the German casualties came from repeated attacks. To crack the Russian line I gave up on finesse and just hammered on spots till they finally broke.

I had a HUGE number of "Defender Holds" results, even after air and arty softening. The middle of the game most of the German loses came as a result of overreaching German divisions being caught and cut off.

Below is a pic that gives you a good idea of how chaotic it got when I finally broke the Russian line.

Attachments
win1.jpg
win1.jpg (177.5 KiB) Viewed 265 times
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

There were a lot of German soldiers buried around Rostov. I never really did break the line here.

Attachments
win2.jpg
win2.jpg (135.19 KiB) Viewed 265 times
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

The only way I captured Rostow was to sweep all the way around from up north and cut it off. Those hills and forests north of this pic are a bear to claw your way through.

Attachments
win3.jpg
win3.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 265 times
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

After that it was off to the races! Once it was clear I was into the Russian rear guard, I just put put it in overdrive. Whenever I hit a group of defenders, I just swarmed around them. This is when unit cohesion just fell apart. There was no time to keep things neat, it was a race to cut off the fleeing Russians.

I finally ran into the Siberian reinforcements and danced with them until the Russian unit count started to get too high. When it became clear that my tired, over reaching troops were now up against a wall of Russians that weren't going anywhere but West, I scraped together a force and made a run for Baku.

Attachments
win4.jpg
win4.jpg (164.39 KiB) Viewed 265 times
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

I started this scenario as the Russians, and the computer lead Germans punched through my line in several spots right off the bat. In a couple spots, as the Germans I attacked the same hex several times with high casualties before I could dislodge the defenders. The computer did it first try, with less air support then I gave.

I'm guessing the computer gets some bonuses that don't 'show up', as he seems to be having a much easier time forcing my line then I did in his place.

I almost gave up and started over, as the Russian line just wasn't budging and my honored dead were starting to pile up, but I finally was able to punch through in two key areas, and I knew it was all or nothing at that point, thus the scattered and racing German units.

I'm really looking forward to playing this game PBEM, but I'm having tech difficulties, and Vic is currently working on it. (I hope!)
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Dmixer, were you playing the "Normal" AI? It does indeed get combat and movement bonuses. Only the "Easy" AI gets no bonuses. Forgive me if I'm telling something you already know.

Also, I find arty helps more than air support when I'm attacking. The AI is good about prepping attacks with both arty and air bombardments.
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

Yah, Normal AI. The AI in this game is very aggressive and smart about breakthroughs.

It's style of play is very similar to mine, (aggressive that is, not smart [:'(]), and it was rewarding to finally put it on the defensive.
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Well done! More details on your hail mary?
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Ah, so if you're playing against Normal AI, that might explain why it seems to have better success on the offensive than you: it's getting some combat bonuses.

And yeah, would love to hear more about the "Hail Mary". :)
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

Heh, ok. Well, I ran into the Russian winter reinforcements and got chopped up. I had to stop my head long rush to the east and form up my lines. I kept trying to go on the attack, but it would always be the same:

I would punch through, cut off and kill a couple stacks of enemy troops, then have my flanks get rolled up by hoards of new Sovs, forcing me to fall back and reform lines. This happened for about a couple of weeks, when it slowly dawned on me that I was slowly being forced back, and my retreat was starting to pick up momentum.

Two things then occurred to me. One, when I then started paying attention to the southern areas and realized that once I took Astrachan in the SE, not much else was happening down there. Two, as I was rumbling down the road SE of Novorossisk that whenever I hit a group of Russian defenders, they would just collapse immediately. I pulled what troops I had together in the SE and started south, counting on the fact that the southern Russian troops seem to have no idea what was happening up north and were in no mood for fighting.

The Russian 'line' stiffened somewhat near Baku, but by throwing a unit as a wedge, knowing that it would get cut off but then be reconnected then next turn when I attacked from another angle, I was able force the defenders off the peninsula and open up Baku.

I call this the 'hail mary' play because I was seriously over extended up north. My mad rush east had captured a lot of ground, but my troops were scattered and exhausted. The Russian counter attack caught me by surprise, and I was too aggressive early against it.

At the rate I was having to retreat to keep from being outflanked, I would have lost Stalingrad probably late March. After 3 months of reckless adventuring, Baku was my only hope of salvaging a win.

Below you can see the start of Operation: Hail Mary.

Attachments
win6.jpg
win6.jpg (137.19 KiB) Viewed 265 times
dmixer

Post by dmixer »

Below you can see the start of the end of my offensive actions in the east. This was my last big push and it nearly resulted in disaster.

I had to throw away some axis allies to save the German armor. (Really, though, what else are you going to do with those Hungarians?) My recon units were really dropping the ball at this point, as stacks of Russian armor would pop up out of thin air at my flanks with no warning.

This is the start of Operation: Brave Brave Sir Robin

Attachments
win8.jpg
win8.jpg (156.36 KiB) Viewed 265 times
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

More more! :)
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Which scenario was this -- the "long" Case Blue scenario? I'm curious whether I'm playing the same one. I don't see anything about an auto-win in the victory-conditions summary screen, but the manual does say you get an auto-win for taking Stalingrad and Baku at the same time in some scenarios. Did your in-game victory screen mention the possibility of winning by taking Stalingrad and Baku?
Enigma6584

Post by Enigma6584 »

Really enjoying this.
oldspec4

Post by oldspec4 »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Which scenario was this -- the "long" Case Blue scenario? I'm curious whether I'm playing the same one. I don't see anything about an auto-win in the victory-conditions summary screen, but the manual does say you get an auto-win for taking Stalingrad and Baku at the same time in some scenarios. Did your in-game victory screen mention the possibility of winning by taking Stalingrad and Baku?

I just won an auto victory as Germans in the long scenario. The auto victory was a sudden death based on occupying Saratov and Uralsk. I was surprised when the screen showed the victory not knowing this was an auto win condition.

Attachments
CaseBlueWin1.jpg
CaseBlueWin1.jpg (688.51 KiB) Viewed 265 times

Return to “After Action Reports”