Awfully quiet here?

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

DoubleDeuce

Awfully quiet here?

Post by DoubleDeuce »

I've been thinking about getting this game for the last week or so but have noticed there does not seem to be much forum activity. Am I looking in the wrong place, i.e. is there another, official forum I am not aware of where all the game discussion is? Do most people just play vs the AI rather than live? Are there any extra map or scenarios posted somewhere, not seeing but 1-2 here.
junk2drive

RE: Awfully quiet here?

Post by junk2drive »

We have a tourney over at wargamer that is almost finished. There is an opponent finder forum at Slitherine. There is also a facebook group for both the board game and PC game. Those of us that installed the 1.6 beta patch cannot MP through the lobby. We are waiting for that to be resolved.

I think the lack of PBEM turned off some people but the game really cannot be played that way.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I have to agree, Ive been wanting to buy this but it seems almost like a complete lack of forum activity. I see that the developer is building beta patches so clearly theyre working on it. But I always gauge how good a game is here by the amount of forum posts. And it doesnt look like theres been alot of activity here in the last few months.
Few maps, few scenarios created, it just doesnt look good.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

I'll probably be mostly playing vs the AI with this one and trying to run a tournament or 2 (more of a meta campaign than tournament really) but the lack of forum activity is a concern for me.
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Running a tourney is a good idea as the tournament run by the Wargamer got a good response.
It got a lot of players online.
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

There are a few of us who don't post regularly but still check in from time to time to see what's going on with patches/updates and stuff. I'm very happy to see that some of you guys have started converting ASL scenarios for this game. I'll be very interested in playing some of those. I also plan to spend some time working with this editor myself. However, I am very, very busy working on something else just now so it might be early next year before I can really give this game some attention.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

The one I am working on now, almost finished except for a little tweaking, is only 4 turns long. I hope to have it finished up and posted here in the next few days for outside testing. Its a city fight with everyone crowded into a few city blocks. Lots of casualties in a very short time. [:D]
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

IMHO this game needs some sort of campaign.
whako

Post by whako »

Couldnt agree more. A campaign would be alot of fun.
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Do you think that a campaign with head2head play would be possible given how the game deals with 2 player games? Would something that is players vs AI be interesting enough for players?
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Probably not with H2H play but I can see it being interesting for players vs the AI. I know I would like to see it and would be willing to design a few small ones.
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Those linked firefights I designed are meant to be played head 2 head.
1 big map. 2 small firefights are played and the final scores, and surviving units are noted.
In the final battle, the surviving units from the first 2 fights are purchased as the point buy during the setup phase.
The more units which survive the first 2 fights, the more you have for the finale.
Makes unit survival important.
Total campaign winner is determined by adding scores from the 3 matches.

Junk and I played the first, but he's playing 1.6 now and we can't continue at present.

I've got some ideas for the same type of thing vs. the AI.
I'll try to flesh them out.
Hunter S Thompson

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: Jamm

I've got some ideas for the same type of thing vs. the AI.
I'll try to flesh them out.
I used to run Player vs AI multiplayer campaigns using Steel Panthers and it worked really well but with this engine it would be more work. You could presumably generate a new scenario for each player by creating maps and dropping the units in place in a few hours but adding in the the AI orders to make them follow an enemy plan might take considerably longer.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

What sorts of features would you'all like to see in a campaign mode for COH?
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

I'd like to see a feature capable of tracking casualties and victory pts over multiple battles.

It would be really sweet to have triggers to open up the next battle of a campaign.
Say capture a certain victory point/points or reach a certain threshold of casualties and the next part of the map opens up and reinforcements brought in for the next firefight.
Probably a lot of work, but you did ask,...[;)]
Hunter S Thompson

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

The ability for surviving units to be automatically carried over into the next scenario.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

I'd like to see the full boardgame trasposition before anything else, also I want to play MP with the last beta patch.
At the moment the game is incompleted.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

I'd like to see the full boardgame trasposition before anything else, also I want to play MP with the last beta patch.
I can agree with that. I would like to see all the currently available CoH boardgame units along with the weapon cards added into the base game and then concentrate on the module type addons. After the patch is finalized though.
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce
ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

I can agree with that. I would like to see all the currently available CoH boardgame units along with the weapon cards added into the base game and then concentrate on the module type addons. After the patch is finalized though.

+1
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Nice thing about a board game is that you can make your own rules and counters. I understand the pay for content model with PC games but think that there should be a few more 1941-42 units added for free to this game.

Then I can look forward to USA and USMC games.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”