Question about systemgfx override

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Vic

bwheatley

Question about systemgfx override

Post by bwheatley »

I know i saw this somewhere before vic but i can't find it in ATG or DC2 editor manual. The systemgfx override i set it to be caseblue_divisionalmodgraphics i created the folder and even created natocounters underneath. But the game still crashes.

Now if i copy in all the nato counters from the dccbmodgraphics/nato directory it works fine. But i remember reading you don't have to do that before it always falls back to the system directory if you don't have anything in the override path. So i'm assuming i goofed something.
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Redmarkus5

RE: Question about systemgfx override

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Did the NATO counters you created have corresponding numbers as their names? I believe the system only wants to see numbers for those files, no text names... And it caps the number of graphics at 185, Troy was saying, so having a 186 or higher in there might also be an issue.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Did the NATO counters you created have corresponding numbers as their names? I believe the system only wants to see numbers for those files, no text names... And it caps the number of graphics at 185, Troy was saying, so having a 186 or higher in there might also be an issue.

I didn't get a chance to create anything the instant you change systemgfx to a directory if it doesn't have the natocounters the game crashes out within a couple minutes of scrolling on the map.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Yes, but in the directory you are trying to switch to, did you already have a full set of numbered NATO counters sitting there?

You need to create your graphics first and save them to the desired directly before opening the editor. The game is searching for the required graphics in order to display the units on screen - it's probably crashing because the graphic is not found in the specified directory.

In theory it should default back to the standard directory but the editor is in Beta.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Ahh well the systemgfx directory setting.

1. The game is initially set to load its systemgraphics and natocounters from 'systemgraphics'
2. But it is overruled by anything set in line 4 of the modfile used at game startup. If you keep line 4 empty (CRLF) in the modfile then the systemgfx will be kept to 'systemgraphics', but as it is with the vanilla defaultmod.txt it will set the systemgraphics directory to 'dccbmodgraphics'
3. And this can be overruled again by a scenario based on its setting. If the scenario has its systemgfx dir set to '' (empty string) then it will not overrule the systemgraphics directory.

Now... the game will look for the all the systemgraphics like background screens and buttons in your specified systemgfx directory. However if it will not find them there it will try to find them in the 'graphics/systemgraphics' directory.

So if you want to make an alternate set of nato counters for an existing Case Blue scenario you'll have to make a 'mymodgraphics', 'mymodgraphicsSMALL' and 'mymodgraphicsBIG' directory and set the systemgraphics of the scenario to 'mymodgraphics' (or change the modfile or make a new modfile specifying this directory for use). The scenarios data uses 180+ nato counters in its settings, so you'll have to make sure all 180+ nato counter graphics are in your 'mymodgraphics/natocounters', this because if they are not the game will check the 'graphics/systemgraphics/natocounters' directory but will not find them there either since that directory is empty.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Hrm weird though vic i think i had all those directories (i read your readme.txt file heh) and it still ended up crashing on me unless i manually copied in all the natocounter files. The crash is what made me think it was odd.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I think that's what Vic is saying. It's not enough to just have the directory structure - the game needs to see all 180 NATO graphics files listed there as well, otherwise it defaults back to the old directory (or crashes).
Vic

Post by Vic »

I think that's what Vic is saying. It's not enough to just have the directory structure - the game needs to see all 180 NATO graphics files listed there as well, otherwise it defaults back to the old directory (or crashes).

yes because the vanilla case blue scenarios expect those 180+ nato graphics to have been loaded. the historical units refer to them! as do the logo values of sftypes.

and yes it reverts back to the default directory, but this is the 'systemgraphics/natocounters' directory and this directory is empty. So if your systempgraphics directory does not hold them, it will not be able to find them. hence crash.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

ORIGINAL: Vic

yes because the vanilla case blue scenarios expect those 180+ nato graphics to have been loaded. the historical units refer to them! as do the logo values of sftypes.

and yes it reverts back to the default directory, but this is the 'systemgraphics/natocounters' directory and this directory is empty. So if your systempgraphics directory does not hold them, it will not be able to find them. hence crash.

best,
Vic

oh dur ok took me re-reading a few more times to understand. Sorry for being a tard. ;)
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”