Movement

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

rjcme

Movement

Post by rjcme »

I would like to edit the scenario in order to give less Action Points for the units, so it can give a little more realism. Is it possible?
Warhorse

RE: Movement

Post by Warhorse »

Yes, in the scenario editor, just change it up the top, the red numbers. Now, that will only modify them for the first turn though, you would have to modify the platoon files for permanent.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
rjcme

Post by rjcme »

How can I modify the platoon files?
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

You need to open them with wordpad, edit the appropriate lines, and save then send them to Jason Petho to re-encrypt them for the game. There are some documents on how to do all this, but if you do it, anyone you play with would need those same files, and they could impact scenario's, if modified too much. What is it you are trying to do, if I may ask?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

What realism are you trying to get?
The scale of the game is six minute turns with 250 m per hex.
Most units are relatively based on that scale.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
rjcme

Post by rjcme »

Basically, I would like to reduce action points by units, specially mobile ones, in order to avoid long movements. When all enemy units sit still during those long movements it seems to me very unrealistic.
Of course in scenarios were movement allowance is lower, for instance in the Pacific jungle, I don´t feel so much the IGOUGO effect.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Oh, BTW, the problem with what you want to do is, the AP's also issue Fire points as well, so if you cut down the Action Points, fire will suffer as well!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
rjcme

Post by rjcme »

Naturally, it needs to be taken in consideration. I think it depends a lot on the scenario itself. Still, I think action points can be reduced without affecting much both movement and fire.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Everything you will try to do has an effect. It's a matter of scale.

Realism is in the eye of the beholder. You may want to find a "wego" game more to your liking?

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Tough to find a wego game at platoon level. Flashpoint Germany is but is Cold War era. I do prefer wego or pulse over IGOUGO.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Truth there J2D.
Our friend sounds like he does not want to design scenarios with units starting with less movement. He wants to make terrain more costly or lower the movement of the individual units.
Thus, my request for him to find a game closer to his liking. Especially since he prefers "wego".

I'm not sure if anyone knows but I prefer CS as it is. [8|]
It is a solid and fun to play game. It remains so, even with some of the new additions that, to me, do not fit the game's scale.
What RJ requests would effect the entire scale of the game? [&:]

RR
rjcme

Post by rjcme »

What´s pulse?
rjcme

Post by rjcme »

I´m not a "wego" die hard fan.

My idea is simply to push the CS towards a more realistic feeling, within the IGOUGO limitations.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

How about staying within the realism of game scale?

RR
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: rjcme

What´s pulse?

May not be the correct term for it. Conflict of Heroes uses what they call a simultaneous play. You take an action, then the other player takes an action. As opposed to IGOUGO where one player takes all his actions then the other player takes all his actions, with op-fire taking place automatically.

http://matrixgames.com/products/424/det ... g.the.Bear!
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

You would also need to reduce AP allowances for shooting, which is seperate, most have 35% some are 33% or 40%!! This means that alreay, if you want to mocve, and depending on terrain, you already only get one shot off, sounds like it would be too much work for not enough gain? How do you mean slow BTW, if you move in 2D it is quicker, myself, I only play in 3D now, and I play some massive scenario's!! To each his own though, just saying, I've made two complete mod/games for this series, and it's a LOT of work, and I've been doing this sort of thing since the games came out in '98 or so? Personally, I'de say the heck with that and let it go!![:D]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
rjcme

Post by rjcme »

How about making the AI automatically save APs? Is it possible?
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

That I wouldn't know about, unfortunately. Just started tinkering with code, don't know how to mess with that yet!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”