German Arty

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

swkuh

German Arty

Post by swkuh »

Of course, Soviets have arty divs, mortar bgds, etc. and can build up a great arty foce. What have the Germans in this regard? Have noticed that adding many arty support units of all types doesn't guarantee they'll be used.

Could a depleted Pz div be used as a very mobile carrier for arty support? Doubled or tripled with some powerful Inf divs.
Walloc

RE: German Arty

Post by Walloc »

Well u have the ability to add SU to divs. U can naturally only add Art type units to HQs.(sorry that was badly phrased). This can as u suggest create sorta a gathering of force. U can get the SU added from HQs, but note there are hard limits(u might wana look at the manual to understand this) as well as rolls on this. So this has an element of uncertainty to it.
U could look at this thread, link beelow, and the combat examples and see the detailed one.
For example in 1 of the cases. 5 on map units are supported by 22 SU from the look of it many art. 15 could be directly attached then rest comming from HQs(aka the arty). Pefect in mud where its not CV that counts as much as firepower, to an extend ofc.
This is the way on german side to build up great arty force as u say it. Well, best they can do. U could add more units in attacking reserve with added SU arty(at their HQs, with the understanding the more HQs = more SU can enter combat cuz of hard limits on HQs). Hope they will activate.

tm.asp?m=3144086

Kind regards,

Rasmus
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

I was sure that the game didn't allow for artillery SUs to be attached directly to German Divs/Russian Corps. Basically, only non-artillery SUs can be attached. Did they change this?
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Nope. ill edit in above to post clarify
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Thanks for suggestions.

One idea I'll try is multiple HQs with many arty SUs in a stack or some such. If it works I'll post up.
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Thanks for suggestions.

One idea I'll try is multiple HQs with many arty SUs in a stack or some such. If it works I'll post up.

U have to weight in if the loss in CV cuz of attacking force comming from multiple HQ penalty is worth it. Question of maximizing so there are some tricks too it.
Its generally a bad idea to have the CV heavy part of an assult force be diluted by spread out over several HQs causing loss of CV to the multiple HQ penalty.
But lets say u attack with all or majority of CV in one HQ. Those CVs dont get diluted if u bring addtional forces u wouldnt else attack with or its a minorty of the CV force. Tho those get the CV penalty, extra with the penalty is still better than nothing. In particular as its a CV only reduction as i understand it. If the extra force mainly are firepower related as in Art then it doesnt matter a much. Also why i suggested the possible use of attacking reserve if all the frontline hexes are from same HQ(s).
Do that make sense? else i can try explain better

Rasmus

Return to “The War Room”