Does the AI ever run out of Carrier Sorties?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

House Stark

Does the AI ever run out of Carrier Sorties?

Post by House Stark »

While playing against the AI I try not to abuse it too much, but I think I'm going to have to in this case. There's been a carrier TF hanging around Suva for over a month now. I'm pretty sure at least 2/3 of the planes are gone due to the battles that have taken place, yet the AI still attacks Suva nearly every day. Sometimes the TF heads towards Noumea, or disappears for a couple of days, before returning. I don't think it's been gone long enough to rearm, so I'm wondering how it can still have sorties remaining. Does the AI even need sorties? Will these carriers stay at Suva forever, until I muster my own carriers to sink them? I prefer "fair" carrier battles with the AI, as it makes it more challenging and fun. Yet I also need to resupply Suva, and the AI shows no sign that it will retreat its ships, even once they are out of planes.
Sakai007

RE: Does the AI ever run out of Carrier Sorties?

Post by Sakai007 »

I have seen this behavior as well. They would sit a CV group NW of New Britian and attack PM and convoys approaching it. They tried to at Suva, but took a big punch in the nose since Suva was my line in the sand so to speak. I think they do run out of sorties, as it doesn't take long to rearm a CV group. And, if they are low on planes, they will use far less sorties, allowing them to hang out longer.

I took advantage of this AI habit in my game, as I had so other real choice. Now it's the end of May '43 and there are 8 Jap CV's making artificial reefs in and around the South Pacific. :)
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

This is going back a ways, but IIRC, settings of 'hard' of 'very hard' allow certain other worldly exceptions as an AI crutch. One of those exceptions is the removal of carrier OPS sorties limits from the AI. The AI cheats like a mother ****er is the upshot.
Balou

Post by Balou »

Saw similar AI moves around the Solomons in `42, sometimes Jap-TF with 1 CV + 4DD at risk of night engagements against Allied patrols with CA/CL+numerous DD. My conclusion out of what I saw and what you describe: beyond possible ?cheating?, AI behaviour still results in weird moves humans wouldn't dare to try. BTW, does someone knows whether AI takes account of it's own air recon?
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
Swayin

Post by Swayin »

I'm assuming the AI's ability to move 7 units to PM and Gili with a week of Dec. 7 also means it doesn't have to worry about either paying PP or using APs to move troops? Not a gripe, just seeking clarification.
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”