What is wrong with galaxy map generation?

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Tyrador

What is wrong with galaxy map generation?

Post by Tyrador »

This is so annoying, every time i play new game almost all maps are like that:
Is there any way to change that???

I spend 40 minutes on map generation, to wait until races will be spread out more or less evenly. Usually ends up, of me quitting the game.[:D]

Notice, this is not a small map! How can 3 factions be together? I mean if generation is random there is little chance that factions will start so close to each other!!!But this happens almost in all maps!

Suggestion to the developers: Minimal distance between empires option in a menu.
Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (452.59 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Niaru

RE: What is wrong with galaxy map generation?

Post by Niaru »

For whatever reasons, the generating AI seems to think that clustering the player with at least another agressive race into the same sector is a good idea and results in additional fun while playing.
Because fending off some insects from the very beginning on is fun. Especially when taking war weariness into consideration.

[:-]
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Niaru

For whatever reasons, the generating AI seems to think that clustering the player with at least another agressive race into the same sector is a good idea and results in additional fun while playing.
Because fending off some insects from the very beginning on is fun. Especially when taking war weariness into consideration.

[:-]

Yeah fun in for some time, but later it becomes very annoying, especially if you have managed to conquer their home system after that point you basically won
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

On a similar note I have often seen the rare resources (loros fruits, zentabia fluids) clusterd together. Sometimes in the same system.

Easy to defend [:'(]
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

Any notes from Developers?[&:]
Apheirox

Post by Apheirox »

My galaxy generations don't do this. I haven't ever restarted and created a new galaxy due to this problem. Is it possible the problem is on your end, a corrupted installation? Did you, for instance, use any mods that changed files?
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

Mods do not alter the game positioning. Game files are not corrupt, galaxy map generator was the same in original DW and in DW:RoS. Maybe you are lucky, cause I get normal maps after 10-15 game restarts[:D]

PS. I have starting position set on random and auto-set 10 empires options.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

set on random

proximity to you needs to be set on average.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

I tried everything, setting proximity is even worse:

I spent 1 hour on this damn galaxy generator, I want to pull all my hair out!!![:@][:@][:@]
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (270.79 KiB) Viewed 584 times
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

What galaxy type how many A.I's and star number.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

700 Stars, max size, 9 Ai's
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I just tried both spiral and irregular galaxy with those setting and with proximity set on average and I am not having that issue.The issue seems to be on your end.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

I have noticed something similar.
Game I just finished, 10 AI's, 1400 stars, clusters. Started in the SE corner with the Ancient Guardians and Ackladarians(sic) immediately adjacent.

I never explored the NW half of the map, ended with a few flashing circles up that way I never got to. By 2786 when the game ended I had >33% of the colonies in the galaxy (82 in 65 systems), had met all the AI's, crushed numerous pirates, retired fleets of wrecks, never met the Shakturi or their refugee alter egos.... So essentially 6-700 systems and large areas of the map went to waste. Would have had all my opponents just as close in a Medium Galaxy.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I have seen empires starting very close, but I have not really seen it that much.

Some quick tests. Everything is normal, except some additional empires. 10x10, 700 stars, 15 AI empires and the shakturi story.

Test 1: Two empires got "rubbing" influence circles. Otherwise some are 1 diagonal sector away from each other. A huge portion of the map lacks a starting empire. Me? 2 sectors to two different empires starting at the edge.

Test 2: Starting a bit left of center. Lots of space towards the middle, but busy elsewhere. One close enough to bump influence circles below (1 sector), one a bit further away up right. This is the busiest part of the galaxy. But in places, there are not a lot of black space between start size influences.

Test 3: Starting central. Just short of 2 sectors to the left are closest neighbor, but that is a bad spot with 2 empires very close to each other. Some are more lucky than others, but the two mentioned are the losers.

Test 4: The worst yet. Starting just left of center in my spiral galaxy, it is just below 1 sector to an empire up and a tad right. The guardians start in a neighbor system very close to these. There are also two close empires on the lower part of the circle, with a third not too far away, as well as two with less than 1 sector distance on the right central area.

Test 5: Start at the right of center, with good clearance to all but pirates. 2 empires in the east start in neighbor systems. Two at the lower edge central start with far less than 1 sector distance. Otherwise good spread, and lucky Atuuk has a lead on an empty upper right.

Test 6: Good spread. Two in the bottom edge central rubs influence with a bit less than 1 sector clearance.

Test 7: I got a good start, others are not so lucky. Two start as closest neighbors central in the galaxy. Two are not much better in lower center. Two with half a sector between at lower edge, and a third just 1 sector away from one of them.

So in 7 tests, one was borderline bad, others had some starting a bit close. My empire had decent room in all 7 cases. This is with default settings, but the number of randoms increased to 15. And I assume it is 17 in total with the Guardians.

I don't see a huge problem with these galaxies. And none are as bad as the image above with both triplets and the two close in the upper left.

Also, no wonders things seems messy with that galaxy backdrop ;-)
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

What about the Ai's? They should all get room for the expansion. Else as it is now, your empire success is mostly effected by chance. It is easier to conquer the opponent's homeworld if it is close, after that, you have extreme advantage over other races.

I personally would like to see all alien homeworlds evenly spread out over particular area/side of the galaxy or/and over whole galaxy, this would eliminate the losers like in your Tests 3,7.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Some win, some lose. Is there are problem in that? If every galaxy is the same, what is the point in random generating them? Keep in mind that two very close starters could lead to one more powerful empire as one empire wipes the other.

But if it is impossible to get a game where you don't have lots of close neighbors, it would be a problem.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

No problem with that, I'm never said that each galaxy should be the same. I'm saying that MORE OR LESS every one should be in equal position, some will lose out! Very close starters will be easy target for player, the empire who controls 2 homeworlds will be easy target for player as well. After which human player win.

My suggestion is to add option in a starting menu: Min/Max Distance Between Empires

Return to “Tech Support”