All things Olympics and London 2012

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: All things Olympics and London 2012

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ITS A GOLD FOR THE LOVELY JADE JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!! [&o]
Warspite1

Amazing result for the 19-year old. What a little star. The first Taekwondo gold for Great Britain - and she did it the hard way, beating a couple of World Champions on the way.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
parusski

Post by parusski »

ITS A GOLD FOR THE LOVELY JADE JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!! [&o]
Warspite1

Amazing result for the 19-year old. What a little star. The first Taekwondo gold for Great Britain - and she did it the hard way, beating a couple of World Champions on the way.

Tell me oh great Ambrose disciple, has the projectile vomiting contest occurred yet??

This clip is from the 2011 Olympiks:

Olympik Vomiting, only 1:51
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Right - two and a bit days to go and GB has 52 medals. All our main events have gone but can we get to 60?

We have four medals (colour unknown) guaranteed in boxing and two (silver or possibly gold) guaranteed in sailing. That takes us to 58 so we need to find 2 more from somewhere....

Mo Farah and Lisa Dobriskey in athletics are possibles. We also have a couple of contenders in Taekwondo, although no idea if they are fancied for medals.

Mmmm.... its going to be touch and go.

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

We also have a couple of contenders in Taekwondo, although no idea if they are fancied for medals.

I assume Lutalo Muhammed at least must be, as he was picked ahead of Aaron Cook. Anything short of the final will leave egg on somebody's face.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

We also have a couple of contenders in Taekwondo, although no idea if they are fancied for medals.

I assume Lutalo Muhammed at least must be, as he was picked ahead of Aaron Cook. Anything short of the final will leave egg on somebody's face.

Warspite1

This was a controversial decision indeed. Puts huge pressure on Muhammed...

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

Warspite1

Whoops......[8|]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Disqualified in the 100m relay [:@]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

We've lost our sailing crown [:@] But well done to the Aussies for being the most successful this time around.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well the BMX was a complete let down.... [:@]

Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Meep, Meep.... 40.82
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

Warspite1

Whoops......[8|]
warspite1

....and then he goes and bags a bronze.... Why didn't he fight like that earlier? But well done Lutalo [:)]

Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

USA about to win the Olympics total medal and gold count (again)....China can subsidize its federation and all of its players but still can't keep up.

Been very happy with the host country and always root for the UK, who have done stellar as well.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

USA about to win the Olympics total medal and gold count (again)....China can subsidize its federation and all of its players but still can't keep up.

Been very happy with the host country and always root for the UK, who have done stellar as well.
Warspite1

Cheers Bamilus. We got our guaranteed 60th medal tonight - that's a great feeling [:)]

Well done to the USA - only once have they finished outside the top 2 - and that was in the dark days of East German institutionalised cheating....

Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Warspite1

Cheers Bamilus. We got our guaranteed 60th medal tonight - that's a great feeling [:)]

Well done to the USA - only once have they finished outside the top 2 - and that was in the dark days of East German institutionalised cheating....

Call me naive, but I'm still a big believer in the special relationship between our countries. Half my ancestry is English, too (Mayflower and other early colonial settlers, which might explain my bias...[:D])
JWW

Post by JWW »

Surprised no one has mentioned the US winning the Men's Decathlon, Women's Water Polo, and Women's Football.
Warspite1

Well we had one US contributor to the thread but he seems to have disappeared recently.....

I think it would be impolite to mention every US gold. But since you mentioned it....

...the decathlon 1-2 was remarkable. Decathlon used to be more glamorous. The American media doesn't pay as much attention to it these days.

Our women's 4x100 relay team did a fantastic job today, shattering the world record. We always wonder in the US if the relay teams have practiced enough to make good exchanges. That is what we do in the US during Olympic relays, just hope for good exchanges. Of course I wonder if our men's team will even medal. I know that Bolt and his guys are going to win going away if they get their exchanges down.

The men's 4x400 team made a great effort for silver, with essentially a substitute team running due to injuries.

Several other track medals I could mention, but I personally am still proudest of the silvers in the men's 10,000 meters and 1500 meters.

I was on the road and did not get to see the women's soccer (er, football) final, just the highlights. But the semifinal US-Canada was a magnificent game. I'm one of those rare Americans who played a lot of soccer (er, football), mostly at keeper, and I really appreciate the game. I also know the Canadians got a raw deal from the officials.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: JW

Surprised no one has mentioned the US winning the Men's Decathlon, Women's Water Polo, and Women's Football.
Warspite1

Well we had one US contributor to the thread but he seems to have disappeared recently.....

I think it would be impolite to mention every US gold. But since you mentioned it....

...the decathlon 1-2 was remarkable. Decathlon used to be more glamorous. The American media doesn't pay as much attention to it these days.

Our women's 4x100 relay team did a fantastic job today, shattering the world record. We always wonder in the US if the relay teams have practiced enough to make good exchanges. That is what we do in the US during Olympic relays, just hope for good exchanges. Of course I wonder if our men's team will even medal. I know that Bolt and his guys are going to win going away if they get their exchanges down.

The men's 4x400 team made a great effort for silver, with essentially a substitute team running due to injuries.

Several other track medals I could mention, but I personally am still proudest of the silvers in the men's 10,000 meters and 1500 meters.

I was on the road and did not get to see the women's soccer (er, football) final, just the highlights. But the semifinal US-Canada was a magnificent game. I'm one of those rare Americans who played a lot of soccer (er, football), mostly at keeper, and I really appreciate the game. I also know the Canadians got a raw deal from the officials.

Well said. I fully agree. The decathlon is an amazing event; I also love the pentathlon (which gets no attention by the US media). Canada vs USA I unfortunately couldn't watch because I was at work but the replay was crazy. I don't even like football but that was one heck of a game.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Warspite1

Call me naive, but I'm still a big believer in the special relationship between our countries. Half my ancestry is English, too (Mayflower and other early colonial settlers, which might explain my bias...[:D])

I join Bamilus in saying I have been cheering for Britain at every opportunity.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Less than two days to go, but still plenty of medals to be won.

Can Team GB hold onto 3rd place? Its likely that (in terms of number of medals) Russia will remain ahead of us, but in terms of no. of golds (how we have always tabled it) we remain 10 ahead - but they are catching up fast.

There was a stat a couple of days ago that said if all Beijing results in the last couple of days were replicated in London, then Russia would overtake us.

Come on Team GB - one last big push please!!!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

.......and a gold in the canoeing this morning helps our cause! Well done Mr McKeever [:)]

Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: JW

Warspite1

Did you see the cameraderie between the decathletes once the contest was over? Most impressive, all posing together for a picture.
The womens realy was tense as *ever* ... you can't even breathe when watching it because it's over before you know it... amazing race and a new WR!! Flawless [&o]

yeah the 4x400 had me wonder too... what's happening here? Especially runner number three... what's going on? Then I heard about the injuries and all. Well that's sports really, your body can only take so much.

All in all another great evening in front of the telly. Most exciting. I mean did anyone see that German girl with the hammerthrow who got bronze? She had to wait for 20 minutes to get her results... *nailbiting*!

Return to “General Discussion”