Comparison to other games

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

kemmo

RE: Comparison to other games

Post by kemmo »

Best East Front game I've played,and it's a long list starting with the old SSI and SSG games up to WITE,UOC and all HPS Panzer campaigns East Front games.
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

i wonder how Vic feels these days?
a constant smile, that begins to hurt?
tears running down his cheek everytime he checks these boards?
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: bwheatley

ORIGINAL: Templer

@ bwheatley

Thank you for your detailed and comprehensive report.
Your view is very interesting and instructive.
I quit a year ago playing Gary Grigsby's War in the East.
I stoped because of the insane time the AI take on my older system.
45 min more and are just too long for me.

Also on my old laptop the turns are pretty quick. You can change the amount of time an in initial settings to tell the AI to spend MORE or less time on orders as well. So if you have a really slow cpu you can set the cpu to use less time on orders. That will speed up the turns for you at the cost of the AI maybe making so moves that are more poor. on my box now case blue with most time on AI will run for about 5 minutes before the turns back to me.
Gary Grigsby's War in the East takes 45 min and more.
The AI turns of Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue runs really fine!
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Keunert

i wonder how Vic feels these days?
a constant smile, that begins to hurt?
tears running down his cheek everytime he checks these boards?

Ha ha :)

Now and than i permit myself a small smile... But as long as a single bug remains i am usually not satisfied yet.

However its nice to read on the forums there are quite a few players who are having good fun with DC Case Blue.

So thanks for all the compliments everybody! They are appreciated and sometimes truly neccessary to keep morale up :)

And also thanks for the criticisms. Maybe less good for morale, but good for improving my products :)

Kind regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

You have a great game here Vic. Stick to your design decisions; don't let the nit pickers and self appointed experts get you down.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

You have a great game here Vic. Stick to your design decisions; don't let the nit pickers and self appointed experts get you down.

My thoughts exactly. Stick to your vision Vic!!!
Tony
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

I agree.
Vic, study the proposals and suggestions, thereafter you decide what fits into your system and don't forget to polish your Decisive Campaigns series.

See resonance to your product and you'll realize you've got a winner. [:)]
budd

Post by budd »

To sum up.
I agree with all that is said and I will be buying any wargame Vic puts out.
I'd also like him to see him put out an add on with a bunch of linked campaigns like the 1st panzer campaign as I'm really enjoying that format. The size and time requirements of the linked campaign fit me well. That way I can throw some more money his way, sooner. I think this is the first time I'm a fanboy.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
alex0809

Post by alex0809 »

By the way since you mention that budd, I also it would be cool if Vic would simply release some expansion for Case Blue - new scenarios, or as you say a linked campaign of smaller scenarios (but I think it has to be a bit longer so your troops really develop and you can decide what to focus on etc) instead of going for a completely new game next.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: alex0809

By the way since you mention that budd, I also it would be cool if Vic would simply release some expansion for Case Blue - new scenarios, or as you say a linked campaign of smaller scenarios (but I think it has to be a bit longer so your troops really develop and you can decide what to focus on etc) instead of going for a completely new game next.

I would definately buy a scenario pack!!
Tony
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

You're really impatient.
The game is still only a few days old.
Let's see what Vic brings to us in the near future of additions, bug fixes, improvements, hopefully high quality scenarios, other 'presents' and good news. [:)]
budd

Post by budd »

Naw not impatient at all, just throwing out a thought to consider for the future, whenever that future comes. Have a nice day.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Hey Vic, I'm curious, have you ever played OCS's "Case Blue," the monster boardgame? I have it set up on my gaming table as we speak.

One thing I like about OCS: on-map supply, including supply chits and supply dumps. I suppose that'd be a nightmare for an AI to handle?
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

^ Me too.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Keunert

but once you are familiar with the system you will want to know the finer aspects of the game mechanic. at this point you will discover the elegance of the game: it is basically a simple game but with cards, officers, the plethora of statistics it gets really deep. there is a lot of replay value in this. not only because there are options like free setup and an editor, but also because every pbem will go a different route.
This is so true. Word for word.
I am right now just at this stage.
Vic

Post by Vic »

@Grotius,

I studied the OCS games manual and map in quite some detail when researching DCCB, but never got around to playing it.

And yes its nice to have actuall supply counters on the map. It also adds however quite some micromanagement.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

That's funny! I based my mod on the OCS map :)
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Vic

@Grotius,

I studied the OCS games manual and map in quite some detail when researching DCCB, but never got around to playing it.

And yes its nice to have actuall supply counters on the map. It also adds however quite some micromanagement.

Best,
Vic

No supply counters, Please!
Tony
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Hehe, I'm not demanding on-map supply for Vic's game. I was just curious if he'd been influenced at all by OCS. I'm glad to hear he has!

I see OCS influence in particular in the clever way Vic has handled artillery, by limiting arty stocks. OCS also forces you to choose when you want to fire off those precious shells -- although in OCS, every attack anywhere costs some supply, not just arty attacks. In OCS, for every attack you make, you have to ask: is this worth the supply cost? Do I *have* the supply nearby to conduct the attack?

Also, OCS makes you pay supply to move your vehicles. Again, Vic has designed a parallel system that requires much less micromanagement, using his Oil system. That makes perfect sense to me.

Actually, for me the issue with on-map supply isn't micromanagement; I like tracking supply. I'd be concerned that it would be very hard to teach the AI to handle on-map supply. WITP/AE comes close to modeling supply on-map, and the AI in that game struggles with getting supply/fuel/resources/oil to the right places.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Treale

ORIGINAL: Vic

@Grotius,

Best,
Vic

No supply counters, Please!

No, I want supply counters. PLEASE x 6.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”