A couple of suggestions

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

JeanAllTrekkie

A couple of suggestions

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

A few suggestions from a fellow game developer:

1. The one thing that drove me nuts in Forge of Freedom was that I couldnt select which units I wanted to use. The system seems to be random throwing you from brigade to brigade. This really turned me off from playing it.

I should be able to select which units I want anytime whenever I want.

2. Zoom Level. You should add a zoom level for Forge of Freedom. One where I can view the majority of the battlefield and another where I can see a section of the battlefield.

3. Brigade Level. You guys did it right the first I strongly recommend for (Big Battles ie. Gettysburg, Antietam, etc.) that you stick with Brigades being the smallest unit in the game. Having hundreds of regiments will distance the casual gamer from buying and playing this game.

4. Also you guys really need to Market this game. I strongly suggest you attend The Gettysburg Reenactment next year. It is a incredible opportunity to present your product to the your audience. Both casual and hardcore gamers will be interested to see what Civil War games you have made. You not only expand your current community but you also receive precious feedback from your fans on what they liked and what they think should be improved.
GenChaos33

RE: A couple of suggestions

Post by GenChaos33 »

Number 2 is in FOF. Zooming can be done with holding Ctrl Key and the Mouse Wheel. IMO, the zooming is not the best but it works.

Number 1 - IMO, I like the random Go feature.
TRAINZ

Post by TRAINZ »

I like the regimental system it gives you alot more playing options and battle detail. I personally would not be interested in another brigade and even division level game, there are just to many of them out there already IMHO.
JeanAllTrekkie

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

@GeneralChaos Most gamers I run into want to choose whichever unit they want. They dont want the computer to choose for them.

@CaptainConflict - You also need to think of the casual gamer. Imagine doing The Battle of Gettysburg. Having Hundreds of Regiments on the field and each one having to be given a order... 20 - 40 minutes just to process 1 turn. This turns away alot of casual gamers. You hardcore gamers love it because you dont mind but the average civil war enthusiast doesnt want to spend all that time on a game. That is why games like Civil War General had such a following. It was easy. And thats where the market is.

You cant sell a complicated game only a simple one. Why do you think everyone gets iPhones lol
TRAINZ

Post by TRAINZ »

I don't know much about Iphone users game preferences, i do own one by the way, but maybe you should go there if a simple game is your preference and you don't wish to spend alot of time playing. Most of the time people buy casual games and later they always seem to migrate here to these forums to complaint about the lack of details in the game they bought, or how something could be added to the game to make it more realistic or playable. They always want more, lol. I just think it should be included. There were plenty of options in FoF which made it a simple or complex game to play. There are plenty of division and brigade level games out there for people to purchase(AGEOD has several). I would just like to see a more advanced level civil war game for once. If it would help i would like to see an option to move all those regiments you mention together as part of a brigade co-ordinated action, or maybe move brigades as part of a divisional co-ordinated action. Thats how real army level commanders give orders in battle. it may have not always worked out for them, but at least there would be a possibility for unit ordination. just my opinion.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: CaptainConflict

Thats how real army level commanders give orders in battle. it may have not always worked out for them, but at least there would be a possibility for unit ordination. just my opinion.

If you want that then just have Divisional or Corps level commands Army commanders don't tell Brigades where to go. They tell the Corps Commander who tells the division commander who then tells the Brigade commander.
TRAINZ

Post by TRAINZ »

flanyboy,

That was actually what I meant to say.[:D]

Honestly, I just would like to see a regimental level approach here. I only suggested brigade and division co-ordination as an option so shorten the game for those who would prefer not to move regiments individually.

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”