Little Tutorial Voronezh (in french and english)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Vic

rominet

Little Tutorial Voronezh (in french and english)

Post by rominet »

Hi everybody

i have made a kind of small tutorial of DCCB and published it on french forums (of course in french).
This tutorial is based on the first german turn of the small scenario Voronezh.

Now, with the courtesy of Vic who allows me to publish it in its original text (french), i am publishing it here in the AAR section.
However, as it is not really an AAR but rather a tutorial for beginners (like myself), i decided to make a translation in english, at least for the texts between screens.
Texts inside screens remains in french of course.

I hope my translation is not too bad.

Je vous propose un mini AAR sur le scénario Voronezh joué coté allemand contre l'IA en Easy Very Slow (autrement dit sans
bonus donné à l'IA mais en capacité de reflexion maximale pour elle). Je me limiterai au premier tour, vous aurez ainsi une
idée du jeu sur le plan tactique et opérationnel.

L'objectif de ce premier tour est clair: il faut percer la ligne de front soviétique.

Je commence par jouer une carte de commandement du QG OKH pour augmenter un peu l'expérience de l'état major du QG du XXIV
Corps qui comprend la 9ième Pz et la 3ième PzGr.

The AI is Easy and Very Slow. I will do only the first turn, it is enough to understand a lot of things.
I hope this could helps some players and give them really want to play this great game, IMHO.

The objective of this first turn is clear: we must break through the Soviet front line.

I start by playing a command card from OKH HQ to increase a little bit the experience of XXIV Corps HQ which includes 9th Pz
and 3rd PzGr.

Puis je décide de percer au centre en utilisant au maximum les divisions du XIII Corps. Je booste la vitesse de la 11ième Pz
avec une carte de commandement du QG de corps qui me coûte 10 pts; il en reste 2.

Je commence à ouvrir à la voie en repoussant 2 régiments de la 121ième division d'infanterie soviétique avec l'aide de régiments du XIII Corps pour bénéficier à la fois du bonus divisionnaire et du bonus de corps pour les attaques concentriques.

Then I decide to break through in the center by making maximum use of the divisions of the XIII Corps. I boost the speed of the 11th Pz with command card of the Corps HQ; it costs me 10 pts; there are 2 left.

I start opening to the way to pushing back 2 regiments of the 121th Soviet infantery division with help of regiments of the
XIII Corps to benefit both the divisional bonus and the corps bonus for concentric attacks.

Je veux ouvrir un passage plus large en attaquant 2 régiments de la 143ième DI sov.
Je décide de ramolir la cible avec l'artillerie divisionnaire de la 299ième division allemande au nord. On constate que son artillerie a ses stocks pleins, l'effet sera maximum mais le régiment sera immobilisé pour le reste du tour et c'est très
bien comme cela car il sera utile pour bloquer le passage.

I want to open a broader passage by attacking 2 regiments of the 143rd DI sov.
I decide to soften the target with divisional artillery of the 299th German division in the north. You note that its artillery has its full supplies, 10 rounds will be fired but the regiment will be immobilized for the rest of the turn and that's ok because i need this regiment for blocking the passage.

Le tir n'a occasionné aucune perte mais a diminué le "readiness" (organisation) et le "entrenchment" (niveau de retranchement) des 2 régiments soviétiques d'environ 30%.
On aperçoit le petit symbole "art" qui indique que l'hex a déjà subi un bombardement d'artillerie avec un niveau de "stack" de 16 (les pénalités apparaissent à partir de 100).
On constate aussi que la barre horizontale verte du régiment d'artillerie qui a effectué le tir est passée de pleine verte à quasiment vide rouge.
Cela indique que le stock de munitions est vide et il faudra plusieurs jours pour le remettre à niveau.

The shooting causes no losses but decreased "readiness" and "entrenchment" for the 2 Soviet regiments of about 30 %.
We can see the little symbol "art" which points out that the hex has already been subjected to a artillery bombing with a level of "stack" of 16 (penalties appear from 100).
We can also note that the green horizontal bar of the artillery regiment which performed fire is now almost empty and red.
This indicates that the stock of ammunition is empty and it will take several days to re-level.

Le tir d'artillerie a été effectué à 2 hex.
Par chance, il n'y a pas eu de tirs de contre-batteries mais cela aurait pu être le cas car un des régiments soviétiques possèdent des 122 mm Howitzer qui ont une portée de 2.

Artillery fire was made at 2 hex.
Luckily, there was no counter-fire from ennemies batteries but it would have been the case because one of the Soviet regiments has 122 mm Howitzer which have a range of 2.

Pour exemple mais je ne vais pas le faire, voyons ce qu'on aurait si j'avais décidé de faire un second pilonnage d'artillerie.
Je sélectionne donc le régiment d'artillerie de la 95ième division. on constate alors que les 16 pts de "stack" du premier
pilonnage sont déjà là, avant même que je sélectionne la nouvelle unité d'artillerie.

For the example but I will not do it, what would we see if I had decided to make a second shelling artillery?
I select therefore the artillery regiment of the 95th division. We note that in spite of the fact that i haven't yet selected this new unit, there is already 16 pts of "stack" from the previous bombardment.

Si je sélectionne le 95ième d'artillerie, le "stack" augmente de 16 et passe donc à 32 alors que le tir d'artillerie aura la même puissance de feu que le précédent.
Et ainsi de suite.

Now, i select the 95th artillery, the "stack" increases from 16 of 32 in spite of the fact this second artillery shooting will have the same firepower as precedent.
And so on.

Dès que le "stack" dépasse 100, l'efficacité des tirs suivants baissera.

On reprend.

Cette fois, je vais faire intervenir également des régiments du LV Corps.
Je fais donc descendre les 3 régiments d'infanterie de la 299ième DI ainsi que 2 régiments de la 45ième DI.
Je me prépare à attaquer avec les 3 régiments de la 299ième; on constate alors que je bénéficie d'un bonus divisionnaire de 30%.
Précisons à ce sujet qu'il n'est pas nécéssaire que les 3 régiments attaquent pour avoir ce bonus, il suffit juste qu'ils
soient là et qu'au moins l'un d'entre eux attaque.

As soon as "stack" exceeds 100, efficiency of following shooting will decrease.

I go on.

This time, i will also involve the LV Corps regiments.
I therefore get the three infantry regiments of 299th ID and 2 regiments of the 45th ID.
I am preparing to attack with three regiments of 299th; i receive a divisional bonus of 30%.
It should be noted in this connection that it is not necessary that all 3 regiments attack to get this bonus, they must simply
just be there and at least one of them has to attack.

Le bonus aurait été de 40% si le 4ième régiment (celui d'artillerie qui a tiré) avait été présent.

Je décide de faire intervenir un régiment de la 45ième DI pour bénéficier d'un bonus d'attaque concentrique (10%) et d'un petit bonus divisionnaire supplémentaire (2%).
Cependant, le "stack" de l'attaque vient de dépasser 100; je décide donc de ne pas faire intervenir le 2ième régiment de la
45ième pour ne pas aggraver la pénalité.

The bonus would have been 40 % if the 4th regiment (the one with artillery who already fired) had been present.

I decide to bring into battle a regiment of the 45th ID to get a bonus of concentric attack (10 %) and a divisional extra little bonus (2%).
However, "stack" of attack has just exceeded 100; i decide therefore not to involve the 2nd Regiment of the 45th not to aggravate the penalty.

Je pourrais bien entendu faire intervenir un régiment d'un autre corps, par exemple le 1er de la 385ième DI.
Ceci aurait pour effet immédiat de faire monter ma limite de "stack" à 150, mon bonus concentrique à 20% avec un petit +2%
pour le bonus divisionnaire mais je crois que ça ne sera pas utile et j'aurais besoin de ce régiment pour autre chose.

I could of course involve a regiment of another Corps, for example the first regiment of the 385th ID.
This would immediately raise my limit "stack" to 150, my concentric bonus to 20% with a small 2%for divisional bonus but I think it is not necessary and i need this regiment for something else.

On aurait pu aussi utiliser la 1ière Brigade SS qui appartient au même corps (le LV).

I could also use the 1st Brigade SS which belongs to the same Corps (LV).

On constate alors que le bonus concentrique augmente beaucoup plus que précédemment en passant de 10 à 39 (car la 1ière
Brigade SS appartient au même corps ce qui n'était pas le cas du régiment de la 385ième DI) tandis que le bonus divisionnaire diminue légèrement à 26%.

Je décide de me passer de tout cela et de faire l'attaque avec 4 régiments.

Hélas, celle-ci échoue; les russes tiennent bon.

We then find that concentric bonus increases much more than before from 10 to 39 (because the 1st Brigade SS belongs to the
same Corps which was not the case of the regiment of the 385th ID) while the divisional bonus decreases slightly at 26 %.

I decide to go without all it and make the attack with 4 regiments.

Unfortunetely, this one fails; russians hold out.

Comme on le constate, un petit 114 est apparu dans l'hex; cela signifie que si je veux relancer une attaque, je vais subir
une pénalité de 114 pts de "stack" d'entrée de jeu.

C'est ce que l'on voit là. Avant même d'avoir la moindre unité sélectionnée pour un second assaut, ma limite de "stack" est
dépassée.

As shown, a little 114 appeared in the hex; it means that if i want to make an other attack on this hex, i will suffer
a penalty of 114 "stack" from the outset.

That's what we see here. Even before any unit is selected for a second assault, my limit of "stack" is exceeded.

Je vais réessayer quand même en faisant une attaque concentrique à partir de 3 hex et utilisation de la 1ière Brigade SS pour un bonus concentrique maximal et une limite de "stack" montant à 150 au lieu de 100.

I will try again anyway by a concentric attack from 3 hexes and use of the 1st Brigade SS for a maximal concentric bonus and
a "stack" limit of 150 instead of 100.

Malgré les pénalités, l'attaque réussit cette fois. Mais les pertes allemandes sont significatives cette fois. Mieux vaut
éviter de telles pénalités.

Le petit 11 apparaissant dans l'hex signifie que le combat a duré un certain temps et que toute unité n'ayant pas participé
au combat subira une pénalité de 11 points de mouvement (AP pour Action Points) si elle entre dans l'hex.
Ca ne me dérange pas plus que cela puisque que je ne vais trop passer par là pour aller plus loin.

Despite the penalties, the attack is successful this time. But German losses are significant this time. It is better to avoid such
penalties.

The little 11 appearing in the hex means that battle lasted for some time and that any unit not involved in battle will
suffer a penalty of 11 points of movement (AP for Action Points) if it enters the hex.
This does not bother me more as i am not going to use this hex to go farther.

On attaque maintenant au centre, il faut percer.
Je concentre la totalité de la 395ième DI et de la 11ième Pz pour disposer d'un bonus divisionaire max mais je n'attaque
qu'avec 3 régiments dont celui des blindés; ça devrait suffire.

L'attaque réussit, les russes sont balayés par les Panzers et la percée est réalisée en un temps record (la misérable pénalité en AP n'est que de 1 pts).

We attack in the center now, it is necessary to break through.
I focus all of 395th ID and 11th Pz to have a maximal divisional bonus but i attack with 3 regiments only but including tanks, it should suffice.

The attack is successful, Russians are swept by panzers and the breakthrough is achieved in record time (the miserable
AP penalty is only 1 pts).

J'attaque maintenant au nord pour élargir le corridor.
Un peu d'artillerie puis cette fois, je fais intervenir l'aviation.

Faire intervenir la totalité de l'aviation disponible ne serait pas raisonnable étant donnée la pénalité encourue (205 par
rapport à la limite de 100).

I now attack north to expand the corridor.
Some artillery and this time, I introduced aviation.

Involve all of the available aviation would not be reasonable given the penalty (205 by compared to the limit of 100).

On se contentera de qqs He 111H et de 50 chasseurs.
L'attaque ramollit la défense et détruit un canon anti-char.

We will use only some He 111H and 50 fighters.
The attack softens defence and destroys an anti-tank gun.

J'y concentre ensuite 4 régiments appartenant à 2 corps différents et venant de 3 directions.

I then concentrate 4 regiments belonging to 2 different corps and from 3 directions.

Ca passe, un des régiments ennemi est d'ailleurs broken ou détruit.

Il faut s'occuper maintenant des 2 régiments qui se trouvent au sud de la route.
Excepté la 11ième Pz, il ne reste plus qu'1 seul régiment du XIII Corps qui peut encore faire des actions: ça tombe bien, c'est le régiment d'artillerie de la 82ième DI.
Je vais m'en servir pour ramollir la défense.

Le pilonnage a été assez efficace.

Il ne me reste plus que la 11ième Pz qui procède à un envelopement partiel.
Je décide alors de faire tirer son artillerie divisionnaire de façon indépendante car si j'utilise le régiment d'artillerie pour l'attaque, je dépasse le "stack" de 19 pts.

That's ok, one of the regiments enemy is broken or destroyed.

I have now to take care of the 2 regiments which are south of the road.
Except the 11th Pz, there remains only 1 regiment of the XIII Corps which can still do actions: that's good luck, it is the artillerie regiment of the 82nd DI.
I am going to use it to soften defence.

The shelling was quite effective.

It only remains for me the 11th Pz conducting a partial envelopement.
Then i decided to use his divisional artillery independently because if i use the artillery regiment for the ground attack,
i go over the "stack" of 19 pts.

L'hex ayant été déjà pilonné, il y a un marqueur "art" qui vaut 16 pts.
Comme le nouveau tir va y ajouter 10, ça fera 26 ce qui est très en deça de la limite à 100.

Puis les 3 autres régiments de 11ième Pz attaque avec un "stack" de 101 par rapport à la limite de 100, c'est très bien.
L'attaque réussit, les russes sont repoussés vers le sud. La percée est totalement réalisée sur un front de 30 km; c'est
fini pour ce tour là pour le XIII Corps et une partie du LV Corps, il est temps de faire entrer en jeu les unités rapides du XXIV et IIL Corps.

The hexagon has already been shelled, there is a marker that is worth 16 pts. As the new shoot will add 10, it'll be 26
which is far below the limit of 100.

Then the 3 other regiments of the 11th Panzer attack with a "stack" of 101 over the 100 limit, that's fine.
The attack is successful, the Russians were pushed southward. The breakthrough is fully performed on a front of 30 km, that's
it for this turn to the XIII Corps and part of the LV Corps, it's time to bring into play the fast units of XXIV Corps and LII.

L'état-major décide alors de tenter une manoeuvre d'encerclement vers le sud, pour profiter de la route qui mène vers Stary Oskol.
Langermann qui commande le XXIV Corps utilise une carte de commandement de vitesse pour booster la 9ième Pz.

En progressant vers l'avant, les unités de pointe de la 9ième Pz découvrent une division d'infanterie ainsi qu'une brigade blindée russe qui bloquent le chemin vers Kastornoye à l'est.

Toutefois, 2 régiments russes un peu au sud posent encore problème. C'est à la 3ième PzGr de s'en charger.
Son régiment d'artillerie se positionne au nord-est et y envoie quelques obus (juste ce qui est permis par les 14 points d'AP qu'il lui reste après son mouvement) avec l'aide
d'un autre régiment d'artillerie appartenant au LV Corps.

Un petit raid aérien qui voit une intervention assez massive de la chasse soviétique mais celle-ci se fait corriger et la
3ième PzGr attaque du nord.

The staff decided to try an encircling movement toward the south, to take avantage of the road to Stary Oskol.
Langermann commanding the XXIV Corps uses a command card to boost the speed of 9th Pz.

Progressing forward, advanced units of the 9th Pz discover an infantry division and an armored russian brigade that block
the path to Kastornoye east.

However, 2 russian regiments just south remain uncertain. This is a task for the 3rd PzGr.
His regiment of artillery is placed northeast and sends a few shells (just what is allowed by the 14 points of AP he has left after his movement) with assistance of another artilery regiment of belonging to LV Corps.

A small air raid which undergoes a massive intervention of soviet fighters but they are punished and 3rd PzGr attacks from the north.

Un nouveau succès; le corridor vers le sud est ouvert.

Comme on le voit, la 9ième Pz a désormais de sérieuses possibilités de progression; le problème, c'est qu'elle est la seule à pouvoir aller si loin.

Another success; the corridor to the south is open.

As seen, the 9th Panzer now has serious potential to progress, the problem is that it is the only one who can go so far.

La 9ième Pz et les Stukas attaquent les chars de la 14ième brigade blindée soviétique et font un massacre.

The 9th Pz and Stukas attack the tanks of the Soviet 14th Tank Brigade and make a killing.

La progression de la 9ième Pz est fulgurante; les russes sont écrasés et le 1er régiment motorisé de la division coupe la route de Stary Oskol.
Toute la 40ième armée soviétique au sud est encerclée.

The progress of the 9th Pz is dazzling; Russians are crushed and the first motorized regiment of the division crosses the road from Stary Oskol.
The entire 40th Soviet army in the south is surrounded.

Le problème, c'est que la 9ième Pz est trop en pointe; dans l'état actuel des choses, aucune autre unité allemande ne peut la rejoindre
Il n'y a qu'une seule solution: booster la vitesse de la GD; c'est possible car elle appartient au IIL Corps qui n'a pas
encore utilisé de carte de commandement.

Ainsi boosté, la GD rejoint la 9ième Pz qui se sent moins seule mais la branche sud est vraiment fragile.

The problem is that the 9th Pz is too far advanced, in the present circumstances, no other German unity can join it.
There is only one solution: boost the speed of GD, which is possible because it belongs to LII Corps, which has not still
used command card.

And boosted, the GD joined the 9th Pz that feels less alone but the southern branch is really fragile.

Il ne reste plus qu'à faire avancer toutes les unités encore à l'arrière.
On remarquera que je n'ai pas utilisé pour ce tour les 2 gros régiments d'artillerie indépendants qui ont donc leurs stocks de munitions au maximum;
je n'ai pas utilisé non plus les Nebelwerfer qui ne pourront tirer qu'une seule fois dans la partie car il n'y a pas remplacement.
Par contre, j'ai utilisé 3 cartes de commandement des corps et 1 pour l'OKH: je ne pourrai plus booster mes divisions de ces corps avant plusieurs tours.

J'ai subi un peu moins de 2000 pertes (tout confondu) pour un peu plus de 7000 aux russes.

Une inconnue pour moi, je ne sais pas si mes chasseurs pourront faire des interceptions: tous leurs points d'AP ont été dépensés pendant ce tour.

Je termine en réglant à 75% la retraite au QG de l'OKH. Cela signifie (en théorie) que toutes mes unités choisiront de se replier si elle subissent 75% de pertes en cas d'attaque. Puis je règle à 50% pour la 9ième Pz seulement.

Voilà, je termine là, vous avez maintenant une idée de ce qui vous attend sur le plan tactique et opérationnel si vous jouez à DCCB.

It remains only to advance all units still in the back.
Note that I have not used this round the two large artillery regiments which still have there stockpiles intact;
i have not used either the Nebelwerfer who can draw only once in the game because there is not replacement in this short
scenario.
On the contrary, i have used 3 command cards from Corps HQ and 1 from the OKH HQ: i can no longer boost my divisions of these
corps before several laps.

I suffered a loss of almost 2,000 (all confused) to just over 7000 for Russia.

Unknown to me, i do not know if my fighters can make interceptions: all their AP were spent during this turn.

I conclude by setting 75% retirement for OKH HQ. This means (in theory) that all my units will choose to retreat if it suffered 75% losses in case of attack. Then I set to 50% for the 9th Pz only.

So, my final point, you now have an idea of what awaits you tactically and for operations if you play to DCCB.
marion61

RE: Little tutorial Voronezh

Post by marion61 »

Are you using a mod to have your hexes display that large? I've looked through the game and the manual and can't seem to find anything about that display mode your using. Seems the older I get, the harder those dang hexes are to see ;).
olivier34

Post by olivier34 »

merci Rominet ! pour une fois j'ai tout compris ! [:D]
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

moi non plus!
Vic

Post by Vic »

excellent! made it sticky as well and added the fact its bilingual in the subject of the thread.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
rominet

Post by rominet »

ORIGINAL: meklore61

Are you using a mod to have your hexes display that large? I've looked through the game and the manual and can't seem to find anything about that display mode your using. Seems the older I get, the harder those dang hexes are to see ;).

I only use some Krupp's mod, nothing else.
I made screenshot with grabclipsave.

ORIGINAL: olivier34

merci Rominet ! pour une fois j'ai tout compris ! [:D]

Donc mon français était bon alors? OUF!!!.[:D]
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

ORIGINAL: meklore61

The screenshots look like a mix of mid zoom level or max zoom with units unstacked (Key 3 toggle) ... no mod being used.

Cheers
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

Nice AAR - some good tips on maximising attacks and well described.

Thanks
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Charly G

Post by Charly G »

Merci à toi pour ce Tuto.
Jagger2002

Re: Little Tutorial Voronezh (in french and english)

Post by Jagger2002 »

Too bad all the images are gone. Would be very useful for newbies.

Return to “After Action Reports”