A few questions

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Micke II

A few questions

Post by Micke II »

How to follow the replacement and eventually orientate the replacement stream going from OKH to units ?
What does mean the last column in the unit replacement screen D-RET and the number in brackets in the column REQ ?
To get replacement there is a flow reaching each turn OKH but how long does it takes to reach individual units ?
How is it possible to know which specific unit has received replacements ?

Play Uranus scenario on the German side it's very hard. It's impossible to keep German positions until mid december in Stalingrad city. Soviet can take the city very early in December which was not the reality. The reason seems that the German are short of supply early December even by organising an air supply bridge. What is the trick to keep Stalingrad at least until the end of December?
rominet

RE: A few questions

Post by rominet »

What is the level of the AI?
Vic

Post by Vic »

One of the reasons the Soviets did not take Stalingrad by end december is that they didnt try. The AI is a little bit more primal than the real historical Soviets.

To be honest. If the Soviets launched their offensive on the Kessel around the 20th of december I am sure they would have had a good chance taking it by new years day.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Micke II

Post by Micke II »

Stalingrad hold until end of January because the red army was unable to manage several big scale operations at the same time. Stavka priority plans was to take Rostov/Don and to trap 17th army and 1rst panzer army. Stalingrad became in this context a secondary objective.
Nevertheless I will try again by putting AI on easy instead of normal. AI at the normal level is too strong. I will keep slow AI speed.
Blue Case is a great game which requires some learning.
I have no answer to my questions concerning allocation of replacements.
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Micke II

Stalingrad hold until end of January because the red army was unable to manage several big scale operations at the same time. Stavka priority plans was to take Rostov/Don and to trap 17th army and 1rst panzer army. Stalingrad became in this context a secondary objective.
Nevertheless I will try again by putting AI on easy instead of normal. AI at the normal level is too strong. I will keep slow AI speed.
Blue Case is a great game which requires some learning.
I have no answer to my questions concerning allocation of replacements.

You will want to check the reports in the stats tab under regime stats. There are overview reports there for replacements requested and received.

Also in the unit details you can find tabs for replacements send and received.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
balto

Post by balto »

Micke, look at Post #6 of Blind Sniper's SUPER exciting AAR. He is doing all kinds of very interesting and cool stuff behind the lines (switching commanders, goofing with supply levels, and checking the replacement stats that you are asking about.

This weekend I am going to look at all the great stuff he is doing and I will develop questions from there. Hopefully, I will not have any questions, but check out that AAR.
Micke II

Post by Micke II »

ORIGINAL: balto

Micke, look at Post #6 of Blind Sniper's SUPER exciting AAR. He is doing all kinds of very interesting and cool stuff behind the lines (switching commanders, goofing with supply levels, and checking the replacement stats that you are asking about.

This weekend I am going to look at all the great stuff he is doing and I will develop questions from there. Hopefully, I will not have any questions, but check out that AAR.

Thank you for the link. It's a very interesting AAR with a lot of useful information.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Just be careful not to post TOO much of BlindSniper's ideas outside the AAR thread! He may not want his opponent to know everything he's doing. :)
rominet

Post by rominet »

If i want my fighter have a chance to perform intercept during the turn of my opponent, should i let them keep some AP during my own turn or it doesn't care?
I never saw at least once my fighter performing such intercept and i usually let them without any AP left.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

How to follow the replacement and eventually orientate the replacement stream going from OKH to units ?

I'm trying to do that setting all units at 25% but the ones that I want to fill up.
What does mean the last column in the unit replacement screen D-RET and the number in brackets in the column REQ ?

REQ: i.e. 300(200) or 5(10) I guess should be read as replacements that I can receive in a turn and inside the brackets the real request.
If a lot of units are asking replacements the first value likely will not be achieved.

D-RET: Default returned? Maybe a script event.
To get replacement there is a flow reaching each turn OKH but how long does it takes to reach individual units ?

If above is true is enough multiple the req value times turns.
How is it possible to know which specific unit has received replacements ?

Top bar -> STATS -> Regime Statistics -> Replacements Received
If i want my fighter have a chance to perform intercept during the turn of my opponent, should i let them keep some AP during my own turn or it doesn't care?

I think more APs left more chance to intercept.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

I was going to start a new thread, but I think I've found partial answers to my questions here, so this would be the place to post.

If anybody has seen my other posts they'll realise I'm a bit new to all this, so apologise if I'm posting the blindingly obvious!

Right, replacements.

I'm currently learning the game and on my third playthrough of the linked campaign. In my current game it was fairly obvious I'd mucked up the combat fairly early on and was heading for a loss, so I thought I'd play around with the cards, replacements and reinforcements, to see how they reached my frontline units.

I played a few replacement cards, including infantry, trucks and level bombers. The above post from Blind Sniper explains how units reach the front line units, so next time I'll have a play around with requested levels to see if I can get the units where I want them. But, I cant quite figure how long it takes units to get from 1st Pz Army HQ to the frontline units. I received approximately 10,000 infantry replacements when I played the card which was really good. But, by the end of the scenario (sent back to Fuhrer HQ in disgrace!) there were still 6000+ infantry at 1st PZ Army HQ waiting to be sent out to units and trust me, there were plenty of spaces for them! So, is there some kind of formula as to how long they take? In my own mind I'm thinking that replacements naturally get sent to army HQ and then it takes some time to distribute them and it doesnt help when your frontline units are fighting in the mountains. Have I got that about right, or is there a way to speed up the process?

The other one I struggled with was the level bombers I got. I didnt seem to manage to get them anywhere. I had taken losses on my aircraft so did expect them to be sent into units, but by game's end none had reached my bomber unit. Again, have I missed something, should I be looking at the type of aircraft (i.e. only certain types can reach the unit)?

One final point is the amount of Romanians I seem to be acquiring, including staff units. When I play through again I was going to see if I could build a Romanian HQ to filter them into that. Am I on the right lines there?

I have lots more questions, but I'm trying to figure them out for myself, but on the replacement side of things I think I'm not quite getting there at the moment, so wouldnt mind a bit of advice. I dont want to really move onto the full campaign until I've figured it out, I'm a boring kind of general and like to make sure I have my supplies and replacements sorted and hope the combat takes care of itself.

As an aside to this, I'm still having loads of fun. I'm up to the scenario where the Germans have to capture Gronzy, let's just say it went spectacularly wrong and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to explain to HQ exactly what my panzers were doing fighting on the frontlines in mountains..ouch! The replay starts tonight....
SCAF

Post by SCAF »

[font=calibri]I’m playing THE TRAPPENJAGD CAMPAIGN and currently at 5 June 1942 turn. I was also concerned about how to manage the replacement troops, tanks and such each turn. My approach was to set OKH, all Army Hq’s and all Corps Hq’s to RPL = 100%(100%) replacement level to make sure the S:T ratio was positive (staff to troop ratio). [/font]
[font=calibri]Then for each division, regiment, fighters and bombers included I set the replacement level to  RPL = 75%(75%) meaning my fighting units will only request replacements once they reach less than 75% strength. [/font]
[font=calibri]So in theory the surplus replacements (if there is such a thing in war) will be stockpiled at OKH until requested. Then if you need you can give a certain Army, Corps or Division priority to receive replacements before any other unit is considered for replacements. [/font]
[font=calibri]Off course the percentage levels can be changed to 100% or reduced to 50% and less. I chose 75% because it was best suited to my style of playing since I choose to attack along almost the entire front reducing almost all units’ strengths.[/font]
[font=calibri]Not sure if this will make any sense to you at all but hope it helps.[/font]
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Cheers SCAF, that does make sense and the mechanics of it are similar to what I got from Blind Sniper's posts. Seeing as you're playing a long campaign, have you noticed that you have large numbers of troops sitting around in HQs rather than being distributed to the fighting troops? This is what I'm trying to understand - the length of time it takes replacements to get to the frontline troops. In my example in my game I've got everything set to 100% (I'm going to have a play with percentages on my next playthrough), yet after playing my infantry card I've got a load of army units with very deficient numbers of infantry, but the replacements dont seem to be reaching them. I was mainly wondering how long it takes replacements to reach the frontlines after showing up at army HQ; similarly my level bomber replacements dont seem to have gone anywhere, they just sat in HQ.

I'm wondering if I'm just noticing this affect because it is the shorter scenarios and I'll see the flow more easily on the longer campaigns. Basically is it worth playing the replacement card in the linked scenarios, or is the timescale too short for them to be of use.
SCAF

Post by SCAF »

Mostly I found that replacements arrive as requested by units on the frontline the very same turn that they arrive including extra units I received playing one or more of the cards. In the picture marked with red are the replacements that arrived that turn and send to units requesting it.

The yellow box shows units still at OKH. Take into account I have most frontline units set to 75% replacement levels in order to have a small reserve intended for emergencies.

Also keep in mind that the manual makes reference to Anti-Supply Points; its says:

16.8. ANTI-SUPPLY POINTS
Armed ships, subs and aircraft exert anti-supply points on sea hexes in a
certain radius of their location. These points can damage enemy supply
flowing through that sea hex and replacement troops being transported
through that hex as well. Air only exerts anti-supply points when its
readiness is equal or above its intercept setting.

Not sure if the Anti-Supply rule by air units are applicable to land hexes as well but I think it is indicated by those small round icons on land hexes in little picture insert. That would certainly cause a delay with replacements reaching the frontline. [;)]

Attachments
replacements1.jpg
replacements1.jpg (346.2 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Thanks again SCAF, back home again now so having a bit of a muck around. I reckon it is to do with supply as you state. I've been messing around with various units setting different priorities, moved most down to 50%, HQs at 100% and then a couple of units on priority. I played two action cards (this is the linked scenarios again) and got 60 PIVs and 6,800 infantry. Out of them 1900 Infantry went as replacements and 15 of the tanks. Didnt quite fill up the priority ones, but that was definitely where they headed, guess it takes more than a couple of days to fill the ranks, which thinking about it is kind of realistic, you wouldnt expect them to fill up immediately. Going to monitor it for this game to see how quickly the rest do get out to units who need them, as there are still 400 infantry and a few hundred SS infantry that are needed on the frontline units.

So thanks again, and for the screenshot, I've been writing everything down, dont think I'd found that screen (or if I had had forgotten it) I just use that tab for keeping an eye on casualties....DOH! Getting there slowly...a bit like my advance to Gronzy[8|]
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

...and on a related note I think I'm figuring out how to use those Romanian replacements at 1st PZ HQ. I created a Romanian Corp on the first turn for which staff have now started to populate it and now on the second turn I've created a Romanian infantry division, so hopefully the troops will filter into there.
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

ORIGINAL: Bonners

...and on a related note I think I'm figuring out how to use those Romanian replacements at 1st PZ HQ. I created a Romanian Corp on the first turn for which staff have now started to populate it and now on the second turn I've created a Romanian infantry division, so hopefully the troops will filter into there.

I wouldn't rush and create too many (if any) Romanian Divisions, the Romanians had a hard time keeping the ones they had in the field, and which arrive as reinforcements, up to strength, as they were relatively very much more fragile in combat than the German units.

YMMV

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

ORIGINAL: aspqrz

ORIGINAL: Bonners

I wouldn't rush and create too many (if any) Romanian Divisions, the Romanians had a hard time keeping the ones they had in the field, and which arrive as reinforcements, up to strength, as they were relatively very much more fragile in combat than the German units.

YMMV

Phil

Yeah, I dont think I'd do that in the main game, but in the linked scenarios you get Romanian reinforcements, so you have to form some Romanian units if you want to use them. I dont think I've actually used them for an attack, but they have been useful as flanking units. Exactly the same process I found out for using up the air units that appear that cant fit into the existing air units.

Great fun again, finally managed the third scenario on the third play through. On my second attempt I was far more successful, really selective in my attacks, no tanks roaming through mountains...I just went too slow and didnt have enough units to take Grozny on the last turn. Finally managed it on the third playthrough learning when to push and when to conserve strength. Really have to say I am impressed with these scenarios. Combine them with these forums and the manual and I've found them an excellent learning experience with how to manage your troops. At least learning the game this way if you do muck up it is only an evening, whereas if you make these mistakes in the main campaign you can ruin weeks worth of campaigning. Not forgetting the fact that they are lots of fun[8D]
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I found a great use for the Romanians in my PBEM game...I hid a panzer corp behind them, and when my friend attacked and pushed his way forward through the Romanians, I cut him off and killed his tank corps. He was rather suprised to say the least.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
SCAF

Post by SCAF »

I would like to correct my earlier post with the screenshot where I made mention of the little round icons numbered 1 to 4 as anti-supply points. That is incorrect.

The manual states on page 42 the following:
Note, however, that German and Soviet rail systems run on different rail widths; after
an enemy rail hex has been taken by either side it takes four consecutive turns to be
converted to the proper width before it can be used. This can have consequences in
fast-moving offensives. Note that this conversion period is also shown visually on the
map hexes in question.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”