HQ overpowered

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Templer_12

HQ overpowered

Post by Templer_12 »

I often use HQs for attack and defense and thus achieved considerable success.

Is it just me, or even think other, HQs are simply too strong to in the game?
alex0809

RE: HQ overpowered

Post by alex0809 »

Well, they are strangely useful if you overpower the enemy anyway and just need another side for the multiple sides attack bonus that's true[:D]
But if the HQ staff is killed the HQ will be less effective, so actual combat other than destroying small pockets imho not worth it.

If your question is whether the HQ is too strong in combat REGARDLESS of the side effect that your staff might be killed, I'd just say - the infantry of the HQ IS still regular infantry that can fight, so I don't see why it would be unreasonable ;)
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

i would never ever use them for this role. they are far to important to use it in such a way. only exception under certain circumstances: positioning them in a way that makes a retreat impossible and thus forcing an ennemy unit to surrender.

but what i slowly have to accept is the use of artillery, aa, and at units as defenders in the front row without further protection. like any other units, if you attack them without reducing readiness and entrenchment before they will handle you heavy losses.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Yes, they feel overpowered based on my limited experience so far.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

Ditto. I attacked a single German Corps HQ (unsupplied) after heavy air attacks, with a couple divisions and wasn't able to force a surrender (or retreat, and it had no hex to retreat into) for two times. I had to use almost a third of the Coastal Army to elimitate it!
Also, artillery units seems too resilent when attacked by other ground troops.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

But an HQ represents all the support units, training cadres, replacements etc. in the Korps. Real life HQs do fight when they have to and they can fight effectively.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Maybe so but Corps and Army HQ's were never in the front lines on attack as they can be used now.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Scouseair68

Post by Scouseair68 »

Maybe make them unable to attack...only defend?
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

But an HQ represents all the support units, training cadres, replacements etc. in the Korps. Real life HQs do fight when they have to and they can fight effectively.
Yes, but you just look at the amount and composition of these troops.
Not exactly an elite group!
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

This is a problem that goes back at least all the way back to the original AT-WWII, they are far too powerful in combat. Strangely, the AI in AT and ATG realizes this ond often builds them in massive quantities and just squats in cities.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

This is a problem that goes back at least all the way back to the original AT-WWII, they are far too powerful in combat. Strangely, the AI in AT and ATG realizes this ond often builds them in massive quantities and just squats in cities.
Thank you.
Maybe someone will solve this problem soon.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

In the meantime it is easily addressed with a SSR, no HQ in attack.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

i wouldn't mind an opponent attacking with his HQ. if i manage to encircle one and destroy it he will be punished enough for taking this risk.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

ORIGINAL: Keunert

i wouldn't mind an opponent attacking with his HQ. if i manage to encircle one and destroy it he will be punished enough for taking this risk.

Sure, but I'm speaking when your opponent use it to encircle and destroy your unit.

I remember that in the previous title (WtP) you could use the engineer as scout unit given that even if attacked they were able to stand most the time, I thrown against this eng unit three French Cavalry units (they were brigade IIRC) and not only I lost the combat but I suffered more losses [:o]

[center]Image[/center]
Vic

Post by Vic »

@all,

I am going to make artillery,staff and flak a little bit more vulnerable in direct combat in probably patch 2.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Thanks Vic, great support [:)]

[center]Image[/center]
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Vic

@all,

I am going to make artillery,staff and flak a little bit more vulnerable in direct combat in probably patch 2.

best,
Vic
Proposal:
How about weaken the staff on defense a bit but weaken the staff extremely on offence?
Sounds realistic to me.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Why not remove most if not all of the infantry from HQ's? Another option would be giving them secondary infantry.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
WilliePete

Post by WilliePete »

just start off by doing what you proposed and see how they feel. Don't go crazy, I actually like them like they are now ;)
- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -
Ritterkrieg_slith

Post by Ritterkrieg_slith »

+1 on the HQ/ART units too strong!

Realistically, there isn't much chance an HQ should be able to resist fleeing before a 3-stack tank attack but it happens now a lot!

Troy

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”