My theme is FIXED!

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DracoRedux

My theme is FIXED!

Post by DracoRedux »

Hello All,

I haven't been active on the forums in a very long time. I am back as I learned about the latest expansion. I stumbled upon the customization guide and decided I wanted to make my own race. I followed the guide verbatim and my theme loads, but I am unable to start a game. The problem is not specifically with my custom race. I cannot start a game with any race once the theme is active. Switching back to default theme fixes the issue with starting games, but obviously removes my custom race as well. The specific message is "Could not start game" and I have rechecked everything against the guide about 50 times. Any help is appreciated.

-Draco
tjhkkr

RE: My theme is broken?

Post by tjhkkr »

Howdy.

I am not sure we have enough data to know; it could be you are missing a critical file...
Can you tell us a little more about what is contained in your mod?
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Quadro7F

Post by Quadro7F »

I had the same error not long time ago.

Here is main things what could help you to solve this:

1) Make sure what you have all races txt files in "races" folder (yours and vanilla ones).
2) Make sure what you have all policy txt files in "policy" folder (yours and vanilla ones).
3) Make sure what you have your races images in "raceImages" folder (only for races you added).
4) Make sure what you have your troop images in "troopImages" folder (only for races you added).
5) You need to have at least one character for any race in "characters" folder.
6) You need to have all family's files in "shipImages" folder (yours and vanilla ones)

And the most important - check you biases.txt, there should be:
- proper number of races
- races names should match the names from races.txt files (this is important)

All other folders and files such as flagShapes are not nesessary and not critical for mod to proper launch.
DracoRedux

Post by DracoRedux »

ORIGINAL: Quadro7F

1) Make sure what you have all races txt files in "races" folder (yours and vanilla ones).
2) Make sure what you have all policy txt files in "policy" folder (yours and vanilla ones).
3) Make sure what you have your races images in "raceImages" folder (only for races you added).
4) Make sure what you have your troop images in "troopImages" folder (only for races you added).
6) You need to have all family's files in "shipImages" folder (yours and vanilla ones)

- proper number of races

All other folders and files such as flagShapes are not nesessary and not critical for mod to proper launch.

The only thing I didn't have out of everything you listed was #6, Quadro. I fixed it and reloaded the theme, but I still get the same error. I am obviously missing something big, because it breaks all of the races being played and not just the custom.
ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Howdy.

I am not sure we have enough data to know; it could be you are missing a critical file...
Can you tell us a little more about what is contained in your mod?

1. New Race file
2. New policy file
3. Custom ship images
4. Custom troop Image
5. Custom character for the race
6. Custom character image
7. Custom Ship Names
8. Custom System Names
9. Updated biases.txt

Any further information would be helpful.

-Draco
Quadro7F

Post by Quadro7F »

1)How many races do you have?
2)How many family folders do you have?
3)Are you using custom shipsets or default ones for new races?

Oh, and check you characters txt files - there should be correct name of their race as well.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: DracoRedux

Hello All,

I haven't been active on the forums in a very long time. I am back as I learned about the latest expansion. I stumbled upon the customization guide and decided I wanted to make my own race. I followed the guide verbatim and my theme loads, but I am unable to start a game. The problem is not specifically with my custom race. I cannot start a game with any race once the theme is active. Switching back to default theme fixes the issue with starting games, but obviously removes my custom race as well. The specific message is "Could not start game" and I have rechecked everything against the guide about 50 times. Any help is appreciated.

-Draco
Hello Draco;

In testing modding in DW, one thing I've found out is that the "Could not start game" errors when
adding mods 80% of the time is some form of syntax error. I suggest the following in addition to the
other excellent and valid points previously made.

1. (I found THIS the most) Make sure the ship classes in the added shipsets are spelled correctly
(explorership...not xplorership)
2. If using Return of the Shakturi or Legends expansions, make sure all the ship classes are there,
Carrier especially.
3. If character files are used (Legends version), your character.png files must be spelled EXACTLY as
stated inside the character.txt file pertaining to it.

I've found that in testing other mods for people, these forms of items are what usually cause the
"Could not start game" error box. Normally, if it is a biases.txt file problem, the game will load
to a point, then give you a "Could not read Bias Value X at Line Y of file (Filepath & name).

I noticed you stated you have added/edited the following:

1. New Race file <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.
2. New policy file <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.
3. Custom ship images <-- Could be a problem in this file as I mentioned above.
4. Custom troop Image <-- Long as its a .png image, won't be a problem.
5. Custom character for the race <-- Could be a problem in this file as mentioned above. MOST LIKELY, IMO
6. Custom character image <-- Could be a problem in this file as I mentioned above.
7. Custom Ship Names <-- Could be a problem in this file. IMO.
8. Custom System Names <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.
9. Updated biases.txt <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.

Hope this helps! If not, post back again after checking things out and let us know! Good luck in
finding the error! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Sometimes I add in tons of stuff in a mod and it will crash on start up and I get a headache. Best way is to strip the mod back to bare bones, move folders to somewhere else and add stuff in bit by bit. It's the only advice I can give, there is a fair few things that can cause the issue.

One quick thing I can think is switch to default theme and start a game with only 1 enemy race, then come back out and try your mod. I know it used to cause a problem on starting a game if you switched to a theme where that number was saved as higher than the races you have in a theme. Haven't checked if that is fixed yet.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Haree78
Sometimes I add in tons of stuff in a mod and it will crash on start up and I get a headache. Best way is to strip the mod back to bare bones, move folders to somewhere else and add stuff in bit by bit. It's the only advice I can give, there is a fair few things that can cause the issue.

Yes spoken like a true programmer... that is how I would approach it...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
DracoRedux

Post by DracoRedux »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hello All,

-Draco
Hello Draco;

In testing modding in DW, one thing I've found out is that the "Could not start game" errors when
adding mods 80% of the time is some form of syntax error. I suggest the following in addition to the
other excellent and valid points previously made.

1. (I found THIS the most) Make sure the ship classes in the added shipsets are spelled correctly
(explorership...not xplorership)
2. If using Return of the Shakturi or Legends expansions, make sure all the ship classes are there,
Carrier especially.
3. If character files are used (Legends version), your character.png files must be spelled EXACTLY as
stated inside the character.txt file pertaining to it.

I've found that in testing other mods for people, these forms of items are what usually cause the
"Could not start game" error box. Normally, if it is a biases.txt file problem, the game will load
to a point, then give you a "Could not read Bias Value X at Line Y of file (Filepath & name).

I noticed you stated you have added/edited the following:

1. New Race file <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.
2. New policy file <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.
3. Custom ship images <-- Could be a problem in this file as I mentioned above.
4. Custom troop Image <-- Long as its a .png image, won't be a problem.
5. Custom character for the race <-- Could be a problem in this file as mentioned above. MOST LIKELY, IMO
6. Custom character image <-- Could be a problem in this file as I mentioned above.
7. Custom Ship Names <-- Could be a problem in this file. IMO.
8. Custom System Names <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.
9. Updated biases.txt <-- Shouldn't be a problem if you started with a copy of a original DW file.

Hope this helps! If not, post back again after checking things out and let us know! Good luck in
finding the error! [:)]

Well, I stripped it down piece by piece as mentioned. It was the character.txt file causing the error. I still haven't figured out why, though. Thanks for pointing that out.

On a separate note, is there a way to have different images for each type of character? I'd like Darth Vader to be all the fleet admirals and Grand Moff Tarkin to be all the governors.

-Draco
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

On a separate note, is there a way to have different images for each type of character? I'd like Darth Vader to be all the fleet admirals and Grand Moff Tarkin to be all the governors.
-Draco

Personally, for my Anakin and other characters, I use several group shots so I can use the same image for multiple characters, but it does alllow me to designate other pictures for Anakin the general over Anakin the Admiral versus Anakin the commando/agent... And of course Obi wan for admiral... you get the idea... [:D]
You could use a picture of Anakin/Darth Vader with Tarken on the Death Star for one, and then maybe another with an Imperial officer with Tarkin and so on...
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Well, I stripped it down piece by piece as mentioned. It was the character.txt file causing the error. I still haven't figured out why, though. Thanks for pointing that out.

-Draco

There is a part of the character files that claims it is optional in the modding guide that isn't, I believe it is the characters race? Make sure you set the race specifically and test it again.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

-Draco

Draco;

Each character line needs the following: (Example below)

1, William Riker, 4, Will Riker_Fed_Admiral.png, Human, ------ then Stats Numbers-->

To do that just make the Character Image file name the same for each class. Hope this helps! [:)]

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
DracoRedux

Post by DracoRedux »

- proper number of races

I removed the characters folder completely from my theme, so I don't believe number 5 is correct. Although the other races have one in the original directory, my race doesn't have its own character file. I was surprised to see it work without it.

-Draco
Quadro7F

Post by Quadro7F »

I removed the characters folder completely from my theme, so I don't believe number 5 is correct. Although the other races have one in the original directory, my race doesn't have its own character file. I was surprised to see it work without it.

-Draco

Aye, Characters are optional, its just manual recommendations. I noted this just in case, because it helped some other modmaker before.

But anyway, its good to know - less work to do.
DracoRedux

Post by DracoRedux »

I am still not getting exactly how to use the custom character creation. This is an example from the human character file.

"0, Than Bendu, 2, , Human,(forum doesn't recognize spaces)1, 25, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,(have to separate the two sets of numbers with this apparently)37, 39, 0"

I opened it with notepad++ to make it easier to read. I love that program. Anyway, would someone care to break down the numbers? For example, the "1, 25" part. Is 1 a trait and 25 it's percentage? Lol, I don't get it.

-Draco
Igard

Post by Igard »

The '1' is the skill (in this case it's diplomacy) and the 25 is the percentage bonus. Those last 3 fields are used for traits for example, paranoid, pacifist etc. So each custom character can have up to 4 skills and up to 3 traits.

I'd recommend printing the customization guide for a quick reference. Certain skills and traits only apply to certain character types.

If you haven't already downloaded the customization guide, here it is:- http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/forceddownload.asp?file=0;2972691.
DracoRedux

Post by DracoRedux »

-Draco
In fact, I believe that is what broke the game when I tried before. I now have a fully modified set of Star Wars agents and a custom race. Everything works as intended. I am still looking for a few custom images, but I'll find them soon enough. Now, if we could get modding support for components [:D] Yes, yes. I know it is already in the Master wishlist thread.

I chose Sith because Empire isn't a race. I realize that most of the Empire is composed of humans in leadership roles, but I guess I'll pretend that Palpatine found some Sith refugess in stasis and built a new empire around them? Lol. I can't release it, though. I used too many other sources and would feel bad if I didn't credit everyone. It wasn't exactly hard, anyway. I'm sure anyone else could do it if they already haven't. Thanks for all the help, guys.

-Draco
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I used too many other sources and would feel bad if I didn't credit everyone. It wasn't exactly hard, anyway. I'm sure anyone else could do it if they already haven't. Thanks for all the help, guys.
-Draco

That is my biggest concern too... not even the mods here on this site, because everyone is low key and to say, I took this and that from this person and that person is enough.
But I got a lot of stuff from EAW, Rebellion, and the like.

Return to “Design and Modding”