All things Olympics and London 2012

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Hertston

RE: All things Olympics and London 2012

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Edit: I think the North Koreans over reacted but I must confess that I would be very upset if the Swedish flag was replaced with the Swiss flag during the Olympic Games.

The difference is that the Swedish team wouldn't end up in a labour camp if they didn't over-react. [:(]

bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

The Olympics has become a political leftist drum beating anti American propaganda machine. I stopped watching most of the Olympics years ago. I might watch some of the individual events like swimming or some track, but gymnastics, skating, most of the ski boarding, EVERY type of dancing, ice, water and gymastics are stupid. Seeing skinny, elfin 12-14 yr old girls called "women" is a joke in gymnastics. I'd much rather watch college gymnastics. And the "classics" like basketball, tennis, baseball and similar sports are replete with pros. No real drama, no real "dreams".
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: redcoat
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Just got back from seeing the final dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony.
Fantastic show, really enjoyed it - brought a tear to the eye in a couple of places. The first half was especially good [&o]. What's in it? You'll have to wait and see [:)]
LOL. You tease
I suppose you saw this ...
warspite1

Yes! I bet some knob head posts on you tube or something, but I hope not. I definitely recommend anyone to watch.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: radic202
Question for our Olympic Guru: I know of one Canadian (Clara Hughes)who won medals at both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games (cycling and Speed Skating), has there ever been any others that have accomplished the same thing? And I know that Ian Miller (Equestrian) (I still have no idea why this is considered a sport? regardless) is his 6th or more Olympic presence at the summer games, is this an honour others may have as well?
Thanks in advance,
warspite1

I believe there are five athletes that have won medals at both. Four of these won at different sports but the fifth won both titles at figure skating - which until the split of summer and winter Games, was part of the summer Games. Check out Wikipedia for the details.

Two athletes have competed in NINE games: Hubert Raudaschi of Austria (sailing) competed between 1964 (Tokyo) and 1996 (Atlanta) and won silver medals in 1968 (Mexico) and 1980 (Moscow).

Ian Millar competed between 1972 (Munich) and 2008 (Beijing) with the exception of Moscow (due to the boycott?). His only success came in the team event in Beijing,
where he won a silver medal - and was, at 61, the oldest medal winner at those games.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

....and now it's time for more facts:

16. The actress Geena Davis took part in trials for the US Archery team in Sydney in 2000 - but failed to make the team.

17. The country that has boycotted the most consecutive games is Albania which refused to send a team to Montreal in 1976 and only began competing again in Barcelona in 1992.

redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I got this press release from the MoD this afternoon. It may be of interest to people near the Olympic venues in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Belfast.

The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team – The Red Arrows - are extremely proud to represent the Royal Air Force, the Armed Forces and the United Kingdom at the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics.

On Friday 27 July, The Red Arrows will conduct flypasts in formation over London 2012 Live Sites, including Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, before a flypast of the Olympic Stadium and the Central London Live Sites in Victoria Park and Hyde Park to mark the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony pre-show at 20:12hrs.

Flypasts are scheduled to take place as follows (all times are BST (GMT+1)):

Edinburgh - 12:33hrs
Belfast - 13:01hrs
Cardiff - 16:21hrs
Olympic Stadium - 20:12hrs

Squadron Leader Jim Turner (Red 1) said:

"The Red Arrows are incredibly proud and excited to be part of the London 2012 Olympics. It is a huge honour for the whole Squadron to be involved in such a momentous occasion and to represent the United Kingdom at this 'once in a lifetime' event."
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Fact time. I have been looking at Olympians that paid the ultimate price in the service of their country. Here's one story that caught the eye [:(]

18. At the 1932 (Los Angeles) Games the winner of the 10,000 metres (with a then Olympic record time) was a Pole, Janusz Kusocinski. Kusocinski was the first man to break the Finnish dominance of the event (the Finns had won the Gold medal in every 10,000 metre race since the event was introduced in 1912 (Stockholm).

Sadly, Kusocinski was to die 8 years later at the hands of the Gestapo. After the German occupation of Poland, he joined the Polish resistance, but was caught by the Germans and tortured for information.

Kusocinski refused to give away the names of his fellow Poles and was executed on March 26th 1940 [:(]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Further fact on the same theme.

Fact 19.

Australian swimmer Cecil Healy won a Gold and Silver medal at the 1912 (Stockholm) Games. He finished runner-up to the American, Duke Paoa Kahanamoku, in the 100 metre freestyle, but went one better in the 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay.

Healy joined the Australian army in 1915, and was to die, not long before the end of the First World War, on 29th August 1918 during an attack on a German trench [:(]

uncc

Post by uncc »

An interesting start to the games.

Legally blind archer Im Dong-hyun set the first world records of the London Olympics, breaking his own record in the 72-arrow mark and helping South Korea set a team record in the ranking round on Friday.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
british exil

Post by british exil »

Great show.

Off to bed need to be at work tomorrow, 5 hrs sleep.

But was worth staying up.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Excellent opening for the Olympics England.....Great job.[&o]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yep great show - and my daughter was captured playing her cello on TV too - bonus!

Great direction from Danny Boyle, but he was put in the shade by HM Queen Elizabeth. Skydiving at her age? What a gal!

Good start London, but all counts for nothing without the medals to back it up.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Very nice opening ceremonies. They were artistic, funny, thoughtful, energetic and cleverly constructed. Even a bit that brought a tear to the eye. I really like the pace for the walk of nations too: c'mon-no lollygagging Eritrea! We've got a hundred groups after you lot. Impressive start, Londinium. [&o]

I do have one question though. The first song number of the ceremony: did someone say "mattress"?

Again, thanks for the grand start. Now if you would be so kind as to step to the side, the Americans have bunches of medals to collect. [:'(]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Looks like Cavendish is destined never to win an Olympic medal [:(][&:]

Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Very nice opening of the games. Some thing to be proud of.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

P.S Robert, its damn hard when u got 100 other riders, all watching you and no one but you.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Walloc

P.S Robert, its damn hard when u got 100 other riders, all watching you and no one but you.
Warspite1

Yes, I don't know much about cycling, but it was as though the Pelaton riders were happy to let Team GB do all the work. The Germans misjudged it too.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Looks like team USA gets some early gold redemption in men's swimming. Currently standing at 5 overall medals. The PRC and Italy also off to solid starts. Here's to the Kazakhs for an early gold too.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Wow...the Italian birds took 1-2-3 in women's foil too. Impressive show, Italia! [&o]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Day two of the team dressage sees the Swedes of all groups in a commanding top 3 position. An interesting (snicker) dark horse...
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Excellent opening for the Olympics England.....Great job.[&o]
Not as good as Berlin '36. Those guys really knew how to throw a well organised spectacle [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “General Discussion”