My bombers have gone on strike, help!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

macroman247

My bombers have gone on strike, help!

Post by macroman247 »

I don't know what is going on. It's October '42 and my air campaign on the India/Burma border has just stopped. I have been carpet bombing Akyab for months now without any problems. Morale is great, planes are in good shape with plenty of support but no more attacks from Chittagong/Imphal are being conducted. I have even stood down the bomber groups for awhile and chose new targets but they won't budge. AFs are max size and they haven't launched in weeks (so weather isn't a factor). Have a missed something in the manual to explain this problem or is this some glitch?

Playing against a hard AI scen 2.
JocMeister

RE: My bombers have gone on strike, help!

Post by JocMeister »

Weather or moral springs to mind!
macroman247

Post by macroman247 »

Edited the post right as you posted that. Has been going on for weeks so the weather isn't an issue. Morale is like 99 and my commanders have good leadership. Even if it were low, none of that would stop 10 or so different bomber wings from not launching 1 plane over the course of a few weeks.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

i can only guess, have you got adequate supply?

but Chitters/Imphal shouldn't be a supply-prob, unless you've got uninvited guests sitting on the railroad NW of Kohima.
Atilla60

Post by Atilla60 »

Another guess. Have you over stacked the airbases?
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
-Sir Winston Churchill-
macroman247

Post by macroman247 »

Supply is fine and base is nowhere near overstacked. Nothing really changed that caused them to stop. It just happened. I have flown all affected groups to Calcutta and will try to launch them from there to do some testing.
macroman247

Post by macroman247 »

AI might have broken down. Seems like every training air group has stopped gaining XP/Skills as well. XP is below 55 and is no longer going up and skills are below 70 and have not budged.
rwolan@sbcglobal.net

Post by rwolan@sbcglobal.net »

I have noticed the same effect happening to some of my units "training" in Korea. For several turns they have not gained experience or fatigue.

I am playing a PBEM game as the IJ.
NicoDemon
macroman247

Post by macroman247 »

Sounds weird, but a lot of my problems started when I marched an AUS division into Buna. It was the division I evac'd from Singapore so they were attached to ABDA.

I have now suspended all air ops for a month and my air groups that were training still show orange/green increases even though they have not done anything in a month. Game definitely seems hosed at this point.
macroman247

Post by macroman247 »

Confirmed that they are actually gaining skill while grounded. I guess at this point I am just going to revert back a month and monitor if/when all these problems appear again.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Weird issue. Have you checked other order related stuff? Such as NavS, moving units to another hex, moving ships...
Its only air unit related? I doubt there is any connection to your Buna op...

I suggest you reinstall you client and check if the issue persists. If it does you could go over to the tech support subforum and post your savegame.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: macroman247

Supply is fine and base is nowhere near overstacked. Nothing really changed that caused them to stop. It just happened. I have flown all affected groups to Calcutta and will try to launch them from there to do some testing.

It is possible that while you do not have a plane over-stacking problem, you do have a group over-stacking problem. Even though a base can handle 500 planes, it may only be able to handle those planes in 8 groups, etc. You might check to make sure you aren't over-stacked for administration (IE too many different groups).
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Everything already stated is true but sometimes the game engine will scrub missions due to CAP over the target hex. Now, techincally, I never actually read this anywhere but I believe it to be true just like I never bet on the horse with the fastest practice times in a maiden race (because someone is usually BS'ing). It is much better to wait till the last 2 minutes of betting and see which horse is getting bet down. Failing that, bet on the jockey whose birthdate is closest to your own. That seems to work.

Often this is a good thing if you are talking about Bleinheims (or however you spell that) but sometimes you want the attack to go in anyway. You will need the bombers attached to an air hq with an aggressive CO
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I don't know what is going on. It's October '42 and my air campaign on the India/Burma border has just stopped. I have been carpet bombing Akyab for months now without any problems. Morale is great, planes are in good shape with plenty of support but no more attacks from Chittagong/Imphal are being conducted. I have even stood down the bomber groups for awhile and chose new targets but they won't budge. AFs are max size and they haven't launched in weeks (so weather isn't a factor). Have a missed something in the manual to explain this problem or is this some glitch?

Playing against a hard AI scen 2.

This may appear to be a lot of detail but it really isn't. I for one certainly have to guess what you mean by "carpet bombing".

1. If you assign bombers the ground attack mission and you direct them to hit a specific location, they will cease to bomb if there is nothing left at that location to bomb. Once you vaporise the enemy unit, there is nothing to bomb at that location.

2. Your set range also limits what targets your bombers can attack. If the enemy has moved out of range the bombers can't follow the target.

Alfred
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Alfred
I for one certainly have to guess what you mean by "carpet bombing".

My cat does that with hairballs. [:(]
macroman247

Post by macroman247 »

A lot of the suggestions here are good but not applicable since nothing had changed with the bombing runs. No group overstacking issue mainly because they were launching one day and stopped for good the next. I had airfield strikes set to Akyab from Chittagong and Imphal...no distance issue. I had sweep missions from Chitta going to clear the skies and eventually destroyed almost all the fighters as far as recon could tell.

Once I noticed that the training increases were bugged, I figured something outside of normal game mechanics had to be going on.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Your problem is all of the above and your Playing the Allieds.  Its going to be like that with your bombers for awhile......or play the japanese side.[:D]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Bill Durrant

Post by Bill Durrant »

It would really help to include some screen shots of the base and the individual units. Normally someone will find the problem,
Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

... I had airfield strikes set to Akyab from Chittagong and Imphal...no distance issue...

Reread what I posted about range. It is not what you think I said.

Alfred
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

... I had airfield strikes set to Akyab from Chittagong and Imphal...no distance issue...

Reread what I posted about range. It is not what you think I said.

Alfred

Ignore Lord Tennyson's advice at your peril.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”