please explain air superiority in 1.02

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

gwgardner

please explain air superiority in 1.02

Post by gwgardner »

from the beta description: Air superiority is now visible, which allows to plan air operations and redirect fighters to protect the sky

Please explain

Rasputitsa

RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
from the beta description: Air superiority is now visible, which allows to plan air operations and redirect fighters to protect the sky

Please explain

There is a new button on the mini-map (extreme right button), when selected, it colour codes each hex. Green I guess means you have air superiority, the other colours must mean levels where air superiority is contested.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks for that clue. We're going to need a detailed explanation from Wastelands in order to interpret those colors. I see a rainbow of colors in some areas where I have air units, but none elsewhere. I can also see colored areas deep into enemy territory, where I shouldn't be able to see anything.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks for that clue. We're going to need a detailed explanation from Wastelands in order to interpret those colors. I see a rainbow of colors in some areas where I have air units, but none elsewhere. I can also see colored areas deep into enemy territory, where I shouldn't be able to see anything.

In the map I have selected, from AgentS, almost all the territory (Axis) is mostly green, which I guess means I have air superiority, this goes all the way to the front lines in the East and NA.

The Channel coast is disputed and I see 6 colours, including green, but nothing in enemy territory, with my FOW settings. If you have FOW disabled you see it all.

I can guess some of it, but it would be nice to know what the different colours mean. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Removed units from the map (hit space), removed FOW for full air picture, Axis superiority dark green, Allied superiority light green, Allied advantage purple, Axis advantage orange, with a light purple area in the middle which I guess is even.

Which is what I will do, hit space, remove FOW, then with a blank map check air superiority, take a SS and then restore the game settings to play on. Should be reasonable as any air force will know where they don't have superiority.

Find SS/print screen useful as you fly recce missions with say Britain, see enemy units in the rear areas, then when US turn starts you have FOW in place again and can't see anything. I wonder if air recce info should hold over through the allied nations turns.[:)]

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

We are still not completely happy with the colors, so this feature need to be tuned up a little bit.
However Rasputitsa explained it pretty good.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Thx for the explanation of colors. we also need an explanation of what constitutes contested superiority, etc. What levels of strength on both sides.

Does any presence mean contested space?

If fog of war is on, and one cannot see the nearby enemy, for instance, across the channel, does the air superiority map still show contested?

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Here's a screenshot of turn 2 in the Barbarossa scenario, I'm Germany. Fog of war is on, but I get the same screenshot if I turn fog of war off.

Makes no sense to me.

Attachments
capture_04..2_233031.jpg
capture_04..2_233031.jpg (202.86 KiB) Viewed 164 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The image you have posted is what I get with FOW OFF (looking at Barbarrosa), but when I set a visibility range, normally 2 or 3 hexes ( I reduce it in winter turns) I only see the air picture up to that visibility range and no further, so it seems to work OK for me.

As you switch FOW the air picture should change. [&:]

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader
We are still not completely happy with the colors, so this feature need to be tuned up a little bit.
However Rasputitsa explained it pretty good.

Now I see how it works, I quite like the feature, the existing basic colours look good on the Agent S maps I am using, but I guess they can be modded, so that players can have a set which best matches the maps they prefer to use.[:)]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I get the same map, with FOW on or off.

Why is there a patch of German control/contested near Odessa, but nowhere else along the eastern front? I have air units there too.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Why is there a patch of German control/contested near Odessa, but nowhere else along the eastern front? I have air units there too.

I guess there is no contested airspace elsewhere, because the Soviets have no air units on other parts of the front yet, but don't know why you are seeing so far if you have FOW ON (I have 2, or 3 hex visibility set, which is as far as I can see air superiority with FOW ON). I know it's not much help, but I am running 1.02 beta and it seems OK.[&:]

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Started Barbarossa in 'Quick Start', other games started as 'Custom', moved to turn 2, all seems to work as expected with FOW turned on and off, air superiority display responds as expected. Sorry I cannot replicate the map you have, showing deep into enemy territory with FOW ON, unless some other setting, or mod is overriding the control.[&:]

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Found it, if you don't have 'FOW display' checked ON in 'Gameplay Preferences', you will see air superiority into the enemy rear areas, irrespective of how you have the main FOW control set.

Not sure if this is WAD, Doomtrader will tell us in a couple of days[:)]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

I guess there is no contested airspace elsewhere, because the Soviets have no air units on other parts of the front yet, but don't know why you are seeing so far if you have FOW ON (I have 2, or 3 hex visibility set, which is as far as I can see air superiority with FOW ON). I know it's not much help, but I am running 1.02 beta and it seems OK.[&:]

You would think if there is no contested space there on the central and northern parts of the Eastern Front, then it would show as German air superiority. yet, it doesn't.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

You would think if there is no contested space there on the central and northern parts of the Eastern Front, then it would show as German air superiority. yet, it doesn't.

It shows dark green Axis superiority, up the limit of hexes into enemy territory as set in your FOW settings. If there are no enemy air units present, there is no contested airspace. The only glitch is that if you don't have 'FOW Display' checked ON in your preference screen, you then see light green enemy air superiority deep in areas of enemy territory, regardless of the FOW setting you have (showing where their air units are and negating FOW).

With FOW disabled, it does shows Axis superiority (dark green) over all enemy areas, except those (light green) areas where enemy air units are based, showing that, provided you can reach it, the airspace will be uncontested. That's probably more info than you should have, so I will probably keep FOW set ON.

You can set FOW visibility out to 20 hexes, so that you could check superiority out to any chosen range up to 20, remove units (space bar) so you don't see the ground forces, but check air superiority along the front area without seeing into Siberia.

It seems a flexible and useful tool, when you get the settings right. [:)]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ok, it's taken me this long to finally figure out that the air superiority map only highlights areas of contested space. In other words, if one country has air units in a given area but the enemy does not, the map does not highlight that area.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ok, it's taken me this long to finally figure out that the air superiority map only highlights areas of contested space. In other words, if one country has air units in a given area but the enemy does not, the map does not highlight that area.
That's how it appears, in the map you posted of the Axis side, there is an overall dark green overlay showing uncontested airspace with FOW enabled and 'FOW Display' checked ON, you will only see air superiority data up to the FOW hex limit you have set. The gameplay issue is how to use this tool at longer ranges, as I have normally set FOW at 3 hexes in summer and 2 hexes in winter turns, but air forces work at longer ranges and would have an idea of air response at longer ranges, but it is unrealistic to see where your enemy has based air units all the way to the edge of the map.

I think I will do a air superiority check at the beginning of each turn, with FOW set at some intermediate level (e.g. range of FTR, or para drop)so I see the air situation behind the front, but not too far. Do this with 'units' switched OFF, so as not to negate FOW for the ground situation, maybe take a SS as a record, before putting FOW back to normal to play out the turn.

Main thing is that the Devs have given us a feature that can be adjusted, used to the full, or ignored, players' choice, thanks, nice work. [:)]

Ret44

Post by Ret44 »

About hex colours - Air superiority in given hex is determined by strength of all air units in range.

There are six, settable colours (they're saved in ColorAirSuperiorityLevel variables in Info.ini file in scenario folder). Which colour will be chosen depends on ratio of player superiority and enemy superiority.

Player superiority is the sum of strength of all air fighters that belongs to player (or his allies) and which are within range.
Enemy superiority is the sum of strength of all air fighters, and (if we calculating superiority for water hex) aircraft carriers that belongs to enemy (or his allies) and which are within range.

Based on ratio (Player sup./Enemy sup.) the appropriate color is selected:

If ratio = -1 (Enemy superiority equals 0, default colour) -> ColorAirSuperiorityLevel0
If ratio < -1 -> ColorAirSuperiorityLevel0
If -1 < ratio < 1/3 -> ColorAirSuperiorityLevel1 (Major enemy advantage)
If 1/3 < ratio < 1/2 -> ColorAirSuperiorityLevel2 (Minor enemy advantage)
If 1/2 < ratio < 2 -> ColorAirSuperiorityLevel3
If 2 < ratio < 3 -> ColorAirSuperiorityLevel4 (Minor player advantage)
If ratio > 3 -> ColorAirSuperiorityLevel5 (Major player advantage)

Colours are saved in hex triplet format.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks, well that certainly gets into the nuts and bolts of it.[:)]

Return to “Time of Fury”