Recommend the must have mods.

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Bleek

Recommend the must have mods.

Post by Bleek »

I've been away for a few months (more like 10) busy with business and have re-installed DW+Legends.

So obviously I've missed quite a bit, can you guys recommend the must have modifications for DW?

Ideally mods that are true to the original.
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
WoodMan

RE: Recommend the must have mods.

Post by WoodMan »

Hmm, by true to original you mean mods that are in the original DW setting? I actually don't know of many.

There is my Ancient Shakturi World Destroyer which changes the World Destroyer graphics so it actually is consistant with the rest of the ancient Shakturi wrecks and no longer a Guardian style: tm.asp?m=3130746

Also there is Distant Worlds Extended by Haree78: tm.asp?m=3141149
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
Hmm, by true to original you mean mods that are in the original DW setting? I actually don't know of many.

I meant mods that don't remove anything or at least anything major from the game, if that makes sense.
TheJian

Post by TheJian »

I thought if you Mod a game you change things, Im just saying.
Jon Micheelsen

Post by Jon Micheelsen »

There are mods that change appearances. Like my Explosion mod found here: tm.asp?m=3001816 and Tyradors weapons mods found here: tm.asp?m=3038273 They work together and makes combat look more spiffy looking.

They don't change gameplay, only visuals - just like WoodMans world destroyer. WoodMan made the current ships in Legends, so he of all people CAN say: "There is my Ancient Shakturi World Destroyer which changes the World Destroyer graphics so it actually is consistant with the rest of the ancient Shakturi wrecks and no longer a Guardian style" [;)]

Extended as far as I know, haven't had the time to look at it yet, don't change gameplay either, but add more content in the form of more races, that are balanced to the current original races.

I can't advise about mods that change the original races on a gameplay mechanical level, as I wouldn't use such, and don't think there actually are any.

There are a few makeover mods that loads replacement races in other themes as far as I now, but again, haven't looked into that.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: TheJian

I thought if you Mod a game you change things, Im just saying.

As per the post above, adding content such as races is good, taking away or altering the core isn't really what I'm after. :)
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

To expand on that is there a list of the completed mods anywhere, perhaps with a mini review/summary?
unclean

Post by unclean »

My favorite is the Sound Effects mod, it makes the game a hell of a lot better. It does use sounds from a lot of different games but you really can't tell, it's very well done. Plus it replaces the really annoying alert sound.

Haven't tried the explosion mod that got mentioned, but Tyradors weapons mod is pretty cool.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Thanks so far guys, which is considered the best shipset to have?
Igard

Post by Igard »

There's the mod compendium thread, but it hasn't been updated in a year. Still lots of old mods that are still useful.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2440865

Return to “Design and Modding”