New Beta update 1.6 Available!

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Andrew Loveridge

New Beta update 1.6 Available!

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

Hello All,

A new update is available in the Members Club. It is a Beta with some fixes and UI improvements. Please give this beta a try. We may have another update in a week or two, so let us know if things are not working with this beta.

Change History:
    [b]Fixes[/b] [ul]
  • Fixed crash when using Command Action to hide a unit or group.
  • Fixed extra cost for uphill movement.
  • Fixed AI bug for unloading units.
Improvements
  • USER INTERFACE:  'L' key now shows a line of sight display from the hex under the mouse cursor.  An eyeball icon appears on the hex from with the LOS display is calculated.  Press L over a new hex to move the display to that hex; press L over the hex with the eyeball in it to turn the overlay display off.
  • USER INTERFACE:  Added tooltip to show unit stats over unit buttons during the reinforcement phase.
  • Board Game Maps! Available separately through our Members Club, these are new maps and a new lighting system that allows the Conflict of Heroes computer game to look almost exactly like the board game map. We've heard from many Conflict of Heroes board game players that they would like this option and we are delivering. For the official release of this update, these maps will be available through an in-game option. For now, you will need to download the additional file and unzip the contents with paths (the files go in /Data/Maps) to your Conflict of Heroes installation folder. For this beta release, if you download and unzip these files, they will replace the normal 3D maps. For the official release, both will be available.
  • New High Resolution Dynamic Counters! The option to play with the board game counters has been significantly enhanced. We've added new high resolution counters with dynamic unit statistics that reflect any damage or other effects that are currently on the unit as well. Please give these a try and let us know how you like them!
[/ul]
junk2drive

RE: New Beta update 1.6 Available!

Post by junk2drive »

In game Help has not been updated to add the L key.

For me the eyeball sometimes did not appear on the hex selected. The LOS appeared to be correct though. Pressing L again moved the eyeball 2 or more hexes for one or two tries before turning off LOS. Sometimes it worked as normal.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

The original map artwork is appreciated, but they are remarkably lo-res in comparison to the board game examples on the Academy Games website.
The hi-res counters look good up close, but the map is so blurred at that viewing distance that it detracts as a whole.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Crender

Post by Crender »

I have to agree with the previous poster. Whilst the new hi-res counters look good on the original maps, something looks wrong with them on the lo-res 'gameboard' maps.

Also, IMO, the counters could probably do with a slight shadow under them so that they appear to sit in the map better, and perhaps leave a gap between 2 counters in the same hex so that they do not 'bleed' into each other - or show them stacked with a mouse-click to cycle through them.

Otherwise beta seems to provide some good improvements.
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

You guys can't seem to get it right and put the whole package together! Yes, we wanted Hi Res counters and we wanted a map that looked like the original boardgame but the scale and perspective are completely off!

This picture shows the map at the view of how it would look if I was trying to play the game as if I was playing the tabletop version. At this scale the actual game map does not look bad but the hi res counters are unintelligible! Is anyone else seeing this besides me?

The map looks worse and worse the more you zoon in and the hi res counters only look good zoomed in really close.

Can you make so the counters look crisp and clear when you are zoomed out? That is what we want, we want the PC game to look like the board game.

Attachments
COH.jpg
COH.jpg (392.4 KiB) Viewed 352 times
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

This is how we want it to look!

Attachments
pic442432_lg.jpg
pic442432_lg.jpg (201.77 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Crender

Post by Crender »

Well it certainly doen't look anything like that!
The hi-res counters look at their best very close up, at a distance at which it is impossible to play the game! And as you move the camera out to a distance at which the game plays best (like in the pic above) the image on the counter (tank, truck, soldier etc) worsens. Its almost as though someone was asked to code hi-res counters and they did it without considering the context of actually playing the game.

On the plus side, WCS are at least trying to meet customers wishes, which is more than can be said for most software companies!
hondo1375

Post by hondo1375 »

ORIGINAL: Crender

The hi-res counters look at their best very close up, at a distance at which it is impossible to play the game! And as you move the camera out to a distance at which the game plays best (like in the pic above) the image on the counter (tank, truck, soldier etc) worsens. Its almost as though someone was asked to code hi-res counters and they did it without considering the context of actually playing the game.

Completely agree. I'm very surprised at how poor they are at their usable zoom level ... I would not have bought the game if I knew they were like this.
First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I can't enter the lobby. WTH?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: JFalk68
You guys can't seem to get it right and put the whole package together! Yes, we wanted Hi Res counters and we wanted a map that looked like the original boardgame but the scale and perspective are completely off!

In the screenshot you posted the numbers are 3 pixels wide. If you choose to put the camera at a height and angle where the numbers are only 3 pixels wide, they aren't going to be intelligible.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
I can't enter the lobby. WTH?

This is a beta patch. You won't be able to enter the lobby with this patch until it becomes official.
qufourthree

Post by qufourthree »

Hello
I'm using the 1.6 beta update of CofH, and when I'm setting up the scenario, and use the "undo" button, the game crashes, and produces a bug report. However is there a log file that I can post [&:].

-- Christopher.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: qufourthree
I'm using the 1.6 beta update of CofH, and when I'm setting up the scenario, and use the "undo" button, the game crashes, and produces a bug report. However is there a log file that I can post [&:].

You can take a screenshot of the exception dialog that pops up and post that. For which scenario / nation is this happening?
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Any word on this becoming official? I'd like to MP again.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I'm back from my vacation and will be resuming work on the patch shortly.

I don't really see any consensus opinion about the new boardgame-style map graphics. Some people seem to like it. Some people think that it's too low-resolution when the camera is zoomed in very close (which I might be able to solve by preventing the camera from zooming in very close.) Any further thoughts on this?
Crender

Post by Crender »

Having the ability to toggle to a boardgame style map and counters would be good as long as both map and counters are at an acceptable resolution. I would have no issue with a fixed camera (like Battle Academy) for this mode of play if that is what it takes to get a hi-res board/chits that look like the boardgame. But retaining a free camera for use with the 3D terrain and units/chits is a must IMO.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Any update on the patch status?
Charly G

Post by Charly G »

A very good game, but nobody in the multiplayer lobby and just some people on the forum. I hope the patch soon. We need it in order to get more activity for this game.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce
Any update on the patch status?

Shouldn't be too long. I'm working on some last-minute stuff, and we're unsure whether that work will make the next patch we release or not. Either way, we should have something up pretty soon.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: Charly G
A very good game, but nobody in the multiplayer lobby and just some people on the forum. I hope the patch soon. We need it in order to get more activity for this game.

Thank you for the kind words. The next patch should be out soon. We're going to try to relax the restriction that prevents players with different versions from entering the lobby -- it'll be a sort of play-at-your-own-risk type of thing, but we'll show everybody's version number in the lobby player list so that people with like versions can try playing each other. Hopefully that will spur lobby activity.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”