US Navy takes step in testing robotic fighter

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Max 86

US Navy takes step in testing robotic fighter

Post by Max 86 »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/singularity ... ner=obtech

"The Navy’s robotic fighter just got one step closer to earning its wings. The X-47B, an unmanned stealth attack jet, has completed the first major phase of flight testing on its way to become the first aircraft to be able to land and take off from the deck of an aircraft carrier –completely autonomously.

After its first successful flight on February 4, 2011 at Edwards Air Force Base – a short, 29 minute jaunt to 5,000 feet – the X-47B has now climbed to as much as 15,000 feet. The testing, which concluded on May 15, ran the jet through multiple maneuvers that are essential for using an aircraft carrier as its base of operations including extending and retracting a tail hook needed to catch the carrier’s arresting wires upon landing and “touch-and-go” landings."

Skynet...coming to a world near you![X(]

Seriously though, technology continues to improve exponentially.
No problem Chief!
doomtrader

RE: US Navy takes step in testing robotic fighter

Post by doomtrader »

It's a right time to buy assault rifle and RPG launcher and start digging the shelter.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

A few photos of the X-47B (UCAV) at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland, yesterday.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Looks like they've learned a few tricks from the B-2.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Looks like it would probably have a pretty small payload by the size. F-117ish small.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

All I can think of is a Cylon and "By your command"
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
descaldera

Post by descaldera »

Seems cool.

My favorite iphone puzzle game: itunes.apple.com/us/app/furmins-hd/id473642594?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Ah ! My first duty station, (NATC Patuxent River, MD.) and my last duty station, sure brings back memories. But these planes don't have props ? How do they fly ? Oh I get it.....GLIDERS
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

It displays typical features of an aircraft designed to reduce its signature across the electromagnetic spectrum. The flying wing is a stealthy shape, and is suited to subsonic aircraft. It also provides the volume to house internal ordnance, which is vital because external stores ruin one's RCS (Radar Cross Section).

You'll notice there are basically no right-angles, because they act like cat's-eyes to radar energy. The geometry is designed to reflect radar energy away from whence it came and we can assume there is quite a lot of RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) on the leading edges etc. The undercarriage is hidden away whilst operational and the weapons bay doors of stealth aircraft are both designed to minimise RCS and to be only opened very briefly.

The air intake is on the upper surface which helps hide the front face of the engine from surface based radars. We can assume a slightly serpentine intake with more RAM as well. The exhaust is shaped and has features to reduce the infra-red signature and it looks like some bypass air is mixed with the hot exhaust. As this is a demonstrator, it won't have an operational electronics suite but typically this will include lots of passive sensors and possibly LPI (Low Probability of Intercept) radar and comms links.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Notice how the hot aft deck is physically isolated from the edge structures. I would expect the secondary air is being passed around the floating nozzle, including the underside.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
jomni

Post by jomni »

become the first aircraft to be able to land and take off from the deck of an aircraft carrier –completely autonomously.

Does that mean it can land on a carrier without any human intervention?  Or is it a case where there's still a human pilot like current UAV's.
If it lands under complete autopilot on a carrier like some airliners do in airports, then that's quite cool!  Even manned carrier aircraft don't land under the control of autopilot.

Return to “General Discussion”