A few reasons to buy

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

BodyBag

RE: A few reasons to buy

Post by BodyBag »

ORIGINAL: Walloc
ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

In Sweden 1 mile = 10km!!! Vikings!

U mean former vikings. Back in the day when sweds were vikings it wasnt quite 10 clicks, but a tad more.
Conform or perish! Maybe the barbarians could learn some thing [;)]

Rasmus

Actually, we can do better than that. A Sjællandsk miil (Danish mile) was 11,13 km.[;)]

And we were all Vikings under a Danish King most of the time...[:D]
In politics, stupidity is not a handicap
Napoleon Bonaparte
sth1119

Post by sth1119 »

I am an owner of WtP and have been looking at Case Blue since it was announced. I have held back to get a feel for initial reactions...

Purchased after hearing Vic and group would now work on a major update of WtP.

I haven't played Case Blue yet (tonight i start) but how can you not want to support a group who stands behind their produces with such fervor.
EdinHouston

Post by EdinHouston »

ORIGINAL: EdinHouston
Please dont bring issues like that to this game's forum. That is something that belongs in the WitE forum, if anywhere. Lets dont use this game as yet another excuse to vent about WitE. In any event this game has out for one day, how about we wait with comparisons about which developer listens and which doesnt.

I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but as far as I am concerned the only major restrictions here are on personal abuse and inappropriate marketing of non-Matrix products, etc. I have expressed my views (at length!) on the WitE forums with zero result. If I want to make comparisons between two games, then either of the relevant forums is an appropriate venue, IMHO.

Are you saying that it would make more sense for me to post about the relative merits of DC on the WitE forum than to post about the relative shortcomings of WitE here? If that's your position, it doesn't seem entirely logical to me.

If, on the other hand, you just don't like my views, well I can't help that, but I apologize for any offence caused.

Huh? I didnt say you should post about DC on the WitE forums. I said that you should not bring your WitE greivances to this forum. Frankly I think its childish, you feel like they dont listen to you over there so you are spamming this forum with the same tired cr@p.

If you want to talk about DC, please do. But you are just using the DC forum to repost the same stuff about WitE, like somehow thats going to matter. Its not even the same designer, what difference can it possibly make except to meet your apparent need for attention to your grudge against the WiTE folks that frankly seems to have gotten too personal and emotional.

I come to this forum to read about DC, not read redmarkus go on ad nauseum about his problems with the WitE designers who didnt listen to him. Although if you expressed your views over there the way you are doing it here, I can understand very easily why someone wouldnt listen and would tune you out.
EdinHouston

Post by EdinHouston »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

I think ppl are still ticked that they paid so much for WITE and the dev team has failed so miserably. I guess different people have different pain points but for me the "unit carpet" syndrome really just makes the game a joke. So I think it deserves some beating.

Exactly. You captured it.

We won't get a better product from our supplier next time unless we express our views on the existing product. It's called 'market forces' or 'consumer power', or something similar, I believe. Often cited as a key driver behind the globalized capitalist system. :)

I dont think you understand the capitalist system very well if you think that 'expressing our views' is the key driver. The key driver isnt what you say, its what you do. Either you buy the product or you dont, either they get your money or they dont. I suspect most sellers would rather have someone who buys their product and then 'expresses their (negative) views' than someone who doesnt buy their product. There is a big difference between capitalism versus rationalizing one's desire to vent. And its beyond me how complaining about WitE is going to affect the supplier marketing a product that is already up for sale. The time to influence DC based on insights from WitE was during beta. Its too late now to have much of an effect.
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

Yes, I agree with those of you that said that WitE and CB are game with a different focus and, thus, not directly comparable (at least not comparable in toto).

But it's also obvious that both games could be improved by looking at the best features of the other.

How WitE (or WitE2) could be improved, looking at CB?
Two (or three) day turns (yes, it is possible), less impeding ZOCs and unconquered terrain, MP point penalties in combat hexes.
Variable MP cost for assaults, possibility to set casualties tolerance.
Options with fixed or variable at start setup. Options with Stalin/Hitler directives (and relative prestige points) or strategic free hand.

How CB could be improved, looking at WitE?
More detailed equipement list (e.g. Soviets still used a lot of older tanks, BTs, T-26s etc. and also a lot of Lend Lease tanks that are nor present in the current game database).
Something similar to the commander's report screen.
Better graphics for maps and counters (OK, it's only a matter of tastes...)
Presentation of detailed losses after each combat (yes, I know I can always check the stats panel but it's too cumbersome).

And surely there are others things that could be improved. I'm confident that in a few months CB will be even better than its current incarnation. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I suggest to anyone with more than a passing interest in Eastern front operational warfare to get a copy as soon as possible.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Let's keep it civil please and it's probably best if we table past comments and try to start over. Let's stick to constructive comments per my earlier post.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
glvaca

Post by glvaca »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Ironically, I think the Soviets here are rather more capable than their WitE equivalents for this time period. Go figure.

Well, actually, isn't that a good thing?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Tired of getting a draw or minor loss as the Germans in 2nd Kharkov I finally decided to try the Russians. Wow. At first it was a German style blitzkreig over the hapless Axis....then I got a command failure and couldnt move a couple armies....then 6th Army took some big minus'.... But even still, I had little trouble containing the German panzers, and gaining a major victory.

What a difference.

I will have to try the same scenario playing both sides to get a feel if the Russians are rated a bit too high, or if it is just the AI being better at playing the Russian side then the Axis one.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Meanwhile, I manage to clear Stalingrad in early December:

Attachments
stalingrad.jpg
stalingrad.jpg (795.19 KiB) Viewed 67 times
WitE Alpha Tester
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Most of 1. Panzer Army is trapped and destroyed in the Caucuses. 5 Tank Army is already at Voroshilovgrad, and 57 Army is pressing on Rostov. Supply is starting to become an issue, but opposition is light to nonexistent. I spotted 6. panzer division but it's obviously not going to relieve Stalingrad...

Attachments
donbas.jpg
donbas.jpg (808.1 KiB) Viewed 67 times
WitE Alpha Tester
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Losses. Axis has lost over 1k AFVs...

Attachments
stats.jpg
stats.jpg (657.92 KiB) Viewed 67 times
WitE Alpha Tester
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

It looks like from the screenshot the Russian inflicted over 370,000 casualties on the Germans for a lost of only 80,000... goodbye AG A and B, war over by the end of 43.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”