game sounds

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

soldier1

game sounds

Post by soldier1 »

I was sort of interested in purchasing this game. The screen shots and reviews are all very informative and look in depth and interesting but there is no demo or video of the product.
Are there any sound effects when moving or engaging or during those battle screens. Or does this type of game only feature clicks, beeps and data display. Despite a fair amount of praise not one review has mentioned anything about the sound quality of this game or the music. How does one find out ?
LiquidSky

RE: game sounds

Post by LiquidSky »

The music I turned off about 30 seconds into playing my first game, but then I do that with every game. The sounds are there, but to be honest, I dont really notice them....other then the drumroll to announce it is my turn. On most of of my wargames, I tend to play with the sound off, so as not to annoy the Field Marshall/Wife who can send me to the gulag.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
wodin

Post by wodin »

Though I think sound helps in game sand is oft overlooked in wargames this scale, I still usually have sounds off when playing them. Mainly due to the repetitive nature of them. Also apart from one game I can think of none have had music I don't mind constantly being played throughout, so music always goes off aswell.

Your never going to get all manners of sound effects and the like you'd get in a tactical wargame either. Sometimes again I'd like more effort on the sound front with these games, but usually these small wargame developer shave to prioritise the work and sounds in an operational Wargame are very low on the list. Escpeially when they know many wargamers will turn them off or play their own CD's.

I agree with the poster above aswell, normally in a great operational game I'm that much in thought I never notice the sound effects either most of the time.

Last but not least these things are usually very easy to mod if you want to.

SO I wouldn't worry to much about the sounds. The game seems to be one of those that are so good that sounds become a veyr very minor point.
soldier1

Post by soldier1 »

The music I turned off about 30 seconds into playing my first game, but then I do that with every game. The sounds are there, but to be honest, I dont really notice them....other then the drumroll to announce it is my turn. On most of of my wargames, I tend to play with the sound off, so as not to annoy the Field Marshall/Wife who can send me to the gulag.

Thanks for the fast response but if you turn sounds off or do not even notice them I'd have to assume there not worth hearing, it doesn't actually tell me much. You should know there's no complaining wife here and my PC is connected to a home theatre system [:)].
soldier1

Post by soldier1 »

I was sort off thinking along the lines of hearts of iron 2, where you would hear combat noises or aircraft when you clicked to see weather a long battle was going your way. I liked this sort of thing and the sound track was also very listenable. I guess this game is either different or a smaller production that lacks these things.
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

ORIGINAL: soldier1

Thanks for the fast response but if you turn sounds off or do not even notice them I'd have to assume there not worth hearing, it doesn't actually tell me much. You should know there's no complaining wife here and my PC is connected to a home theatre system [:)].

This is a hex based operational wargame. The sound is a minimal adjunct at the very best. Your home theatre system would be wasted on the sounds in this game. If you are basing your entire decision on that then dont buy it. Not sure what sounds you could add to a game of this type that would make any sense.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I was sort of interested in purchasing this game. The screen shots and reviews are all very informative and look in depth and interesting but there is no demo or video of the product.
Are there any sound effects when moving or engaging or during those battle screens. Or does this type of game only feature clicks, beeps and data display. Despite a fair amount of praise not one review has mentioned anything about the sound quality of this game or the music. How does one find out ?

We're the minority here. [:D] I like good sounds and music that fit the play style. WW1 Gold is a great example of music that fits. That old style war music that was popular in the days of WW1 and WW2. I also have some good 4X space games with mood music that fits that style.

The original Decisive Campaigns had a short music rift that became repetitive very fast and I turned it off. I don't own Case Blue so I don't know if this has changed or not. If not then that's what I use my collected war songs for with Windows 7 Media Player.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

How do you turn the music off or down? I can't see an option screen on the game? Looks very nice just played the tutorial.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

How do you turn the music off or down? I can't see an option screen on the game? Looks very nice just played the tutorial.

I don't think there is an option for gauging the volume. I use my volume control that's on my seven point speaker system.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi there!

In the prefs tab (in top of screen above the map) you can turn off music and/or sfx.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

We're the minority here. [:D] I like good sounds and music that fit the play style.
Here I agree!
Good sounds and music are a valued and welcome addition.
Good sounds and music contributes to immerse in the game.
So I would say good immerse sounds and good immerse music are a must! [8D]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks guys for the tips, I turn the music down
Templer_12

Where Eagles Dare

Post by Templer_12 »

The musik reminds me Where Eagles Dare.
What a great movie.

The music is comparable to the sounds too loud! [:@]

I want a volume control!